Lots of issues with phone and apps

S4mt3k

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First post on here!

Basically, initially I had a good run with my X with no problems but then they started to pile up. My earphone jack wasn't working, phone rebooted randomly during basic functions such as texting, some apps not installing successfully (angry birds, slice it...). I finally decided to get a replacement from Verizon, and I did.

First I was disappointed to realize that it was a refurb... Anyway, I reloaded my apps, restored my crap and quickly realized that the random reboots still happen and the apps I couldn't install before, I still couldn't install.

So now I'm wondering if I have a bad app or a combination of bad apps... Not a single app on my phone was under 4 stars of user rating so I'm not sure where to start. Most notable apps I have are: free launcher pro, advanced task killer for froyo, astro, everything adobe.... Also the google search widget from LP ALWAYS freezes while I'm typing in it, it freezes for a few seconds then continues fine.

I can probably generate a complete apps list and post it here but figured I'd start fishing for thoughts first.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. First post on here!

Basically, initially I had a good run with my X with no problems but then they started to pile up. My earphone jack wasn't working, phone rebooted randomly during basic functions such as texting, some apps not installing successfully (angry birds, slice it...). I finally decided to get a replacement from Verizon, and I did.

First I was disappointed to realize that it was a refurb... Anyway, I reloaded my apps, restored my crap and quickly realized that the random reboots still happen and the apps I couldn't install before, I still couldn't install.

So now I'm wondering if I have a bad app or a combination of bad apps... Not a single app on my phone was under 4 stars of user rating so I'm not sure where to start. Most notable apps I have are: free launcher pro, advanced task killer for froyo, astro, everything adobe.... Also the google search widget from LP ALWAYS freezes while I'm typing in it, it freezes for a few seconds then continues fine.

I can probably generate a complete apps list and post it here but figured I'd start fishing for thoughts first.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Well, you're right it's probably an app. And you probably didn't need to replace your first phone. But that's done now so let's see what you have here.

Well, I noticed you are using Advance Task Killer. That's probably the one that's the root of your problems. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

Get rid of that. Also get rid of any antivirus you have on your X. If you're still getting random reboots after that then instead of getting another phone do a factory data reset out of your privacy section. Recover your paid apps and slowly on an as needed basis start putting in the ones that you had on there previously and see if you can find the culprit. But I'm betting on ATK, you don't need it, Droid does a fine job of managing it's own memory.

countryboy498

Reaction score
I am currently waiting for my sixth DX. I am getting warranty phones that before I even put a single app on are acting worse than the phone it is supposed to replace. My current DX reboots everytime I plug it into a computer which in itself wouldn't be a huge deal. The problem lies in the fact that with every reboot it changes all of my custome ringtones, for contacts, emails and texts. That is a half hour minimum to correct that everytime I plug into my computer.

First warranty phone this week I got Monday and it locked up 4 times within the first hour. No task killer, no anti virus no apps really. Then I recieved my second warranty phone yesterday and everytime the screen would time out and go dark it would reboot. The phone I recieved Monday mind you was the third DX I have had since July, now I am again waiting and should get yet another warranty phone Friday.

The thing that really gets me, is Verizon tried to get me to purchase an iPhone yesterday. Now, my wife has my original Droid and it has never had an issue so I a familiar with Android and know it blows iPhone away so I asked the rep, why would I want to go backwards? Just send me a DX that works.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am currently waiting for my sixth DX. I am getting warranty phones that before I even put a single app on are acting worse than the phone it is supposed to replace. My current DX reboots everytime I plug it into a computer which in itself wouldn't be a huge deal. The problem lies in the fact that with every reboot it changes all of my custome ringtones, for contacts, emails and texts. That is a half hour minimum to correct that everytime I plug into my computer.

First warranty phone this week I got Monday and it locked up 4 times within the first hour. No task killer, no anti virus no apps really. Then I recieved my second warranty phone yesterday and everytime the screen would time out and go dark it would reboot. The phone I recieved Monday mind you was the third DX I have had since July, now I am again waiting and should get yet another warranty phone Friday.

The thing that really gets me, is Verizon tried to get me to purchase an iPhone yesterday. Now, my wife has my original Droid and it has never had an issue so I a familiar with Android and know it blows iPhone away so I asked the rep, why would I want to go backwards? Just send me a DX that works.

I'll be honest, most of the times when I read about someone going through this many phones I tend to think it's user error and won't bother to even respond to the post. However every once in a while I do see someone who seems to just have bad luck.

I don't know why they would suggest an iPhone when they are not even available yet. That is weird. But if this happened to me I would call customer service (no Verizon Stores) and tell them that none of the refurbs have worked. 6 times, I think you are entitled to a new phone. Tell them either they send you the new phone or threaten to cancel, I mean if it were me it would be more then a threat. Escalate of course to Supervisors.

If it doesn't work once, try again. With each person tell them you simply are not satisfied with the response you are getting. Tell them how many times you called, how many phones, etc. Eventually they will cave in. It just might take some time and calling.

One other thing. Be polite. Don't get angry, just talk to them in a calm voice even if you mention canceling your contract. Good luck.

OP
S

S4mt3k

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. A couple clarifications. The reason I got a replacement was mainly because of the earphone jack. I couldn't use it it all. All the other issues were additional. Before getting the replacement I would say o rest my phone upwards 5 times trying to fix the issue.

Also, I happened to see the google video a while back and disabled auto-kill. I just have it for the occasional FC. As for anti virus, I used AVG before and bow using Lookout. The change made no difference, issues before and after.
Sent from my DROIDX

OP
S

S4mt3k

Reaction score
Countryboy, when I was speaking with the tech, he said many DXs have been pulled from stores due to issues when running Froyo. That's why they don't have them in stock.

Sent from my DROIDX

countryboy498

Reaction score
I am not saying mine is not user error, however I have had a Droid since the first Moto Droid came out so although not as up to speed as some people on here I am not one who just recieved theirs last either. I do not run ATK or any antivirus software either. I am careful to install apps as well.

That being said, thanks Hook for the advice. I have been very patient with customer service and I agree that is the best way to get results. After all it is not the rep's fault I am getting bad phones. Verizon customer service has been top notch since I have been with them which is the main reason I stay with them. I have no reason to believe this case will be any different.

Rocko

Reaction score
Remove all apps. Do master reset. Run phone in safe mode. Does it reboot? I bet it's a bad app. 4 stars mean nothing. You can have an app run perfectly on 100 X's and cause the 101 X to reboot, etc.

Slowly add apps back until you notice the reboots.

OP
S

S4mt3k

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping my old thread but this was fixed by deleting \.android_secure\smdl2temp1.asec and rebooting.

Sent from my DROIDX

eurosteve

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping my old thread but this was fixed by deleting \.android_secure\smdl2temp1.asec and rebooting.

Sent from my DROIDX

Thanks for the follow-up post. It's nice to see solutions posted as well as problems. So you're saying that deleting that file fixed your re-boot problems? Can you say more about how you figured this out and how long the phone has been stable?

OP
S

S4mt3k

Reaction score
Somehow I had been missing the message "Unknown error - 18". I honestly don't think it used to show up. Once I saw it, quick search here, solution came up. The IT guy in me didn't want to delete the file so I just renamed it. Solved the problem. Been stable for a couple weeks.

Sent from my DROIDX

eurosteve

Reaction score
Thanks. It's good to pay attention to the solutions posted to re-boot issues.