lost messages in gmail threads???

sjc8383

Reaction score
I just noticed something that is quite annoying in the native gmail app. If you "reply" to an email, but change the address you are replying to, you lose the ability to see the original message of the thread on your Droid.

Here is an example. A friend of mine, Jane, was organizing a ski trip and sent out and email to the 20 people that were going with the details (dates, addresses, prices, contact info, etc). I replied to the email, but changed the address to John's email, because he was going to be driving me and I didn't want to reply to all. John and I continued the thread with multiple messages back and forth to setup details of when we were leaving. In all versions of gmail (on both my desktop and my Droid), I see "Jane, Me, John (8) >> ski trip details..." for this thread. When I am in the browser version of gmail (either desktop or the Droid browser) I can click on the thread and see all 8 messages. However, in the native gmail app on the Droid, I click on the thread, see the last message, and behind that it only says "6 read messages" (there should be 7 more) and when I expand them, Jane's original message is the one missing. The thread comes up though when I search for Jane's email address or any of the text within Jane's original email. But I can't read it!

This was incredibly frustrating when we were driving up and I couldn't get the phone number to the lodge until I thought of trying to log into gmail on the browser. I checked other threads in which I changed the "reply recipient" and the same thing is true, all the original messages are hidden. Anybody else notice the gmail app dropping messages?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it would have "Archived" the messages? I'm sure you can get them back if this is what happened...

OP
S

sjc8383

Reaction score
The threads I am talking about are archived. And the message isn't truly "lost" because I can get to it in the browser version of gmail and the Droid gmail app knows it is there. But despite trying everything I can think of, I cannot find a way to view the missing message in the Droid gmail app.

Can anybody replicate this behavior? Or confirm that this has happened to the as well?

gbouten

Reaction score
Losing mail

I have the same problem. When I reply to an email. The original message is gone and the reply that I sent is there with just a few lines of the original message.