GMail Issue

gbouten

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked and I'm sorry, but this is my first time on this site and I haven't yet figured out how to search for answeres.

When I reply to an email using gmail, the original mail get's replaced with my reply and just the top part of the original message. Is this a Gmail bug or am I doing somthing wrong.

Thanks

Greg

srothkin

Reaction score
Seems to be a rather annoying design deficiency in the Android gmail app. Hopefully google will "fix" it at some point.

Pokebreaker

Reaction score
Sound normal. Gmail stores emails in a conversation format, so there won't be lots of seperate email, they are all contained in one. They should be in chronological order from top to bottom. Just click the name or the tab and it should drop down the whole message.

OP
G

gbouten

Reaction score
Thank,s I was about to reply to say that I figured that out. It took me awhile, but when I click on the top of the message it expanded all the messages. Looks like I'm going to enjoy this forum.

Greg

srothkin

Reaction score
Sound normal. Gmail stores emails in a conversation format, so there won't be lots of seperate email, they are all contained in one. They should be in chronological order from top to bottom. Just click the name or the tab and it should drop down the whole message.

Ah, if only it were so simple. If someone sends me three emails with the same subject line but different contents, the 2nd and 3rd will be truncated if they are over some magical length (which isn't very long). It doesn't matter whether or not I've replied to any of the emails. It doesn't matter whether the emails after the 1st are replies, forwards, or original new emails.

Even in the case of a reply to a message I send, if the new text in the reply is too long it will be truncated. I have to go to the gmail web site or to Outlook on my home computer to see the full text.

srothkin

Reaction score
Everything I see about K9 talks about other providers instead of Gmail. I don't see anything specifically about working with Gmail (and its imap quirks with labels, trash, etc.). Nor do I see anything about how to make it take the place of the default Gmail app so I don't have messages being synchronized twice (by K9 and Gmail). Everything seems to be about how it has extended the main email program (not the gmail one).

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, you can use K9 and the gmail app together because of IMAP. Pretty cool. First steps: download K9, turn on IMAP support in gmail.com settings.