Losing signal too often....

minmongoblin

Reaction score
Love my Droid, changed my life, but three times now I've had to do a hard restart of the phone because it can't send/receive texts or make calls, and my "bars" are down to 1, and when I restart they're full again, and I can use the phone features again. First time was on New Years around midnight, and I figure that's because of the overload of calls and texts at that time. But then it did it last night and this morning when I woke up.

Any fix? Should I go for a replacement?

2amReply

Reaction score
When you say it could not make calls, do you mean that nothing happens when you touch the call icon?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love my Droid, changed my life, but three times now I've had to do a hard restart of the phone because it can't send/receive texts or make calls, and my "bars" are down to 1, and when I restart they're full again, and I can use the phone features again. First time was on New Years around midnight, and I figure that's because of the overload of calls and texts at that time. But then it did it last night and this morning when I woke up.

Battery pulls are not normal for Droid. Usually what causes this is you have an app that is not playing nice with your Droid. What's most recommended is to do a factory reset and see if your phone still needs battery pulls. If it does it's a hardware issue and you should replace. If it doesn't, start adding your apps back on and see if you can find the culprit causing the problem.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Battery pulls are not normal for Droid. Usually what causes this is you have an app that is not playing nice with your Droid. What's most recommended is to do a factory reset and see if your phone still needs battery pulls. If it does it's a hardware issue and you should replace. If it doesn't, start adding your apps back on and see if you can find the culprit causing the problem.

I agree with you on this. It's either hardware or an app causing a serious issue

OP
M

minmongoblin

Reaction score
When you say it could not make calls, do you mean that nothing happens when you touch the call icon?
Basically, yeah, it never connects to the other person to call. And if I sent a text, it would just idle and idle and then say "SMS failed, try again" or whatever.

Luckily I've not had this problem since Saturday morning, so hopefully things are better now. I haven't had to do a battery pull, just shutting down using the power button on the top of the phone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Basically, yeah, it never connects to the other person to call. And if I sent a text, it would just idle and idle and then say "SMS failed, try again" or whatever.

Luckily I've not had this problem since Saturday morning, so hopefully things are better now. I haven't had to do a battery pull, just shutting down using the power button on the top of the phone.
Maybe they were just working on towers in your area? Who knows ...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
my phone acts a little funny too. Sometimes it has full bar when i put it to sleep and wake it up again it's down to 1 bar and 1x, very strange. Happens alot at my uncle's house too and he lives less than 10min away from me and he's about a couple blocks from a Verizon store.

i never dropped a call or had trouble calling anyone yet though.

2amReply

Reaction score

I've experienced this too. In various places. My fix: restart. But it does irritate me!

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had this problem, though with my internet connection. It would work for a while, then stop working and I could fix it immediately by turning it off and back on, then it would work again for a while(10-30mins). I ended up taking it to the store and they just gave me a new one, never had the problem again.

If you're within 30 days, I'd try to get it replaced.

dos

Reaction score
I have somewhat noticed this problem with my Droid. I'm not sure if it is a hardware problem, or maybe the antenna in the phone is just not very good. This is my 3rd phone with Verizon and I have never had a problem with service in my house, now it seems to be up and down with the bars, especially in my basement.

darreno1

Reaction score
To the OP: Just remember when reading this thread that some people do have signal problems where they live and not every fluctuation is a phone issue.

You can try the *228 option 2 to update your prl first. If that doesn't work, try doing a factory reset like already suggested.

OP
M

minmongoblin

Reaction score
To the OP: Just remember when reading this thread that some people do have signal problems where they live and not every fluctuation is a phone issue.

You can try the *228 option 2 to update your prl first. If that doesn't work, try doing a factory reset like already suggested.
Well I did it, but I'm not sure what I just did, haha. Something about updating my roaming capabilities? We'll see what happens, thanks.

JakeMLeffler

Reaction score
I was having a similar problem and I believe that I have discovered the problem and it may help you.

My Droid would lose service whenever I locked it and it'd enter sleep mode. I noticed it only did this when my task-killer app, "TaskPanel" was open and it has an auto-killer for when my phone goes to sleep. I started going through my auto-kill list and removing items that were not other apps. After I removed two of them, one being Google partner setup and I forget the other (it was not an app like the first one) the problem stopped. I just did this about ten minutes ago and I hope its solved the problem.

So, in a nutshell, check your task-killer and what it's automatically killing.