Looking for creative ways to utilize droid x

fitz

Reaction score
Hey guys... I am director of a nonprofit project based in Central America. I have been holding off on a phone for a while because of my unique needs. I decided the droid x looked like it may be able to do the job.
We are planning an exploratory trip through South America early in the year. I am preparing the droid x for use as a video blog, fundraising tool, and virtual office on the trip. I will also have use of a laptop. We are going to be attempting to use the droid to interact with multiple schools in the US, and I am just interested in seeing what you guys think could help, or if you have any other creative ideas on how we can utilize this phone on the trip...

We are visiting wildlife rehab and rescue centers, as well as zoos. We will also go on hiking trips, and pretty much whatever else we found interesting at the moment.

Currently we have Colombia, Peru, Bolivia and Uraguay on the itinerary.

Thanks for any ideas or discussions in advance!

Jamb

Reaction score
I use Sirius XM app to listen to 100+ channels for music ,news,sports.i use direct tv app if I'm out to program DVR for any programs I might miss. I use NFL app from Verizon for keeping up on football and esp my favorite team. All these can help keep in tuned while out on travels!dancedroid

OP
F

fitz

Reaction score
So far

So far I have downloaded the Justin.tv app so I can broadcast live to schools in the US. I installed Photo Wonder to edit photos on the fly if I am uploading directly to facebook, or twitter or whatever. Plus of course the social media widgets. Not so worried about keeping up on anything other than news as travelling to new parts of the world is the fun part!
Also going to geotag everything.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A World Edition of the Moto Droid 2 is supposed to be coming out relatively soon.

George XX

Reaction score
First, are you sure you will have coverage in all those countries? I am sure you have probably spoken to Verizon about it but if you haven't I'd suggest checking out coverage maps and potential extra usage charges. Much of what you can do may be dictated by what features you have access to.

One of the interesting Apps you may want to try is My Tracks by google. In fact I think many of the core google apps might be very useful for you. Sky Map, Translate, Earth and Googles might be useful.

Since you are going to be out and about, I suggest you might also want to invest in a spare battery as battery life might be a concern.

Good luck.

Power

Reaction score
1. Extended battery...or two.
2. vehicle charger
3. 32gb memory card or a handful of 16gb ones. Lots of video is going to fill those up fast.
4. Cell coverage as most of the Nav and other apps won't work without cell coverage. If you are out in the boonies with no coverage search these forums for mapping and nav software that works off the grid.
5. Flashlight app. Best tool yet!
6. Compass app...sometimes not reliable so get real compass (or two!)

liferefugee

Reaction score
a thought on how you can use the phone to interact with the students... take pictures of things, post them to a site (adobe photoshop app gives you a free site to post to) and have the students try and figure out what the item is... adjust difficulty to the age of the student. If you use facebook for it, they can post their answers right there.

Power

Reaction score
another phone use may be Geocaching. Or perhaps Google Earth to find nearby bodies of water or islands in rivers nearby.

snap

Reaction score
I use Sirius XM app to listen to 100+ channels for music ,news,sports.i use direct tv app if I'm out to program DVR for any programs I might miss. I use NFL app from Verizon for keeping up on football and esp my favorite team. All these can help keep in tuned while out on travels!dancedroid
sirius xm app?

where??

vatothe0

Reaction score
I know there is cdma in peru, but how are you going to do any if this in the other counties?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
F

fitz

Reaction score
sorry for the long no reply

been busy working at the zoo. I will be using wifi signals to upload video, photos, and geotagged items when we stop in a place that has wifi. So far we have found it pretty much everywhere we are going.
THANKS for all the replies to this. Some good ideas.
As far as the live video, I am testing that this week. We are going to try everything from skype with the IP camera app to embedded streaming video conference software (I think it is whisper..umm something, sorry having a brainfart).
There will be a professional film crew following me, creating the "base lesson" which will be distributed to the participating schools. After the series is finished, each class will have a live Q and A with me.
The Viral video and the video blog will be put up on the site as we travel. This is the part that will be filmed with the droid x. It will be, as I said, uploaded at each stop, so no need to do this on a daily basis, but probably a few times a week.
I have various methods for getting gps data while on the road, so not too worried about that.

1. Extended battery...or two.
2. vehicle charger
3. 32gb memory card or a handful of 16gb ones. Lots of video is going to fill those up fast.
4. Cell coverage as most of the Nav and other apps won't work without cell coverage. If you are out in the boonies with no coverage search these forums for mapping and nav software that works off the grid.
5. Flashlight app. Best tool yet!
6. Compass app...sometimes not reliable so get real compass (or two!)

I was planning on two extended batteries and at least 3 or four mem cards. I will have my laptop with me so I can dump if needed as well.

Thanks for all the ideas guys, feel free to keep adding if you think of any.

Lovin the Droid X so far!

Tom

OP
F

fitz

Reaction score
sample video with my droid x.

just figured I would drop a video on here that I made with the droid...this isn't from the editors, this is from me, an animal guy..so be a bit easy on me here...

[video=youtube;OcqPCrunsco]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcqPCrunsco]YouTube - Elephant Appreciation Day[/video]

OP
F

fitz

Reaction score
Webcam

Has anyone determined a good effective way to utilize the droid x as a webcam for video conferencing?