Looking for an app - road trip

kilkenny

Reaction score
I occassionally do road trips delivering vehicles for people across the country.

I don't need google navigation as my travel is along major highways. What I need is a map view of my route and on that route the estimated time of arrival (at my current pace) to certain destinations. For example, if I'm driving (and its about 2 pm) I want to know what city I'll be in at 8pm along my predetermined route. I'd like that to show on the map screen with an ETA symbol. I'd then like to be able to select that city and have dining and lodging options show up. If I want to quit driving around 8pm, I'd like to see where I am estimated to be on the map so I can make plans for an overnight stay.

I'd also like it to show me miles to next rest stop all the time. If it's approaching lunch or dinner time, suggestions for food and what exit they would be.

I like the Glymse application because I can send a glympse to my wife so she knows where I am on my route realtime and I can also send it to my customer so they can see live where their vehicle is currently located on the trip. What I don't like about Glympse is it only goes for a maximum of 4 hours...so I have to resend a glympse too often. Maybe include something like that?

So is that available? or will someone write that up for me?:biggrin:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Freelancer.com | Online Jobs | Freelance Employment | Outsourcing Services | Programmers | Web Design | Freelancers is one option if you need it written up for you. Visit there and search for ANDROID to get an idea of the various projects out there and what folks are bidding to perform the work for.

I haven't seen an app that meets all your needs, but I'd guess you could have such an app created for a few hundred bucks. Then put it on the market if you think others would find it of use. Sell a couple hundred copies for a buck or two and you got the app for free.

lenny

Reaction score
if you do decide to get an app made, echoecho (my personal fav location based app) has an open api. you can get in touch with them here: EchoEcho - API

maybe have your developer pair it up with yelp if at all possible, which could address your dining and lodging needs...

i'm not too sure where the best starting point is... just that echoecho is super quick and easy to use... keep us posted!