Gps and Road trip with kids

Mamaperk

Reaction score
We are taking a 6hr road trip next week ... I have six kids, 3 under the age of 7 so I thought it would be fun for them if we could use the gps and mark off a few locations along the way to keep them occupied ... sort of like a map/treasure hunt but we will just have them find specific points of interest or landmarks along the way...

I have had my droid since Dec but have barely used my GPS/navigation. I have stuck to our local haunts and have only needed it a few times to find an address.

I am not sure if my idea is possible with the stock apps to plan a road trip, marking stops along the way, or is there another app that compliments the google maps that would work?

Thanks, in advance, for any help or suggestions you can give.

Sherry
Sent from Droid

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Nav on the Droid will not do multiple stops. Just one point to the next. I have a work around from your PC. Make sure you are logged on to your Google account. Plan your trip on Google Maps on the PC. You can put in all of the stops that you want, and move stop order around until it makes since. Print your stop addresses so you have a record with the order to bring with you. As you type the first bits of stop address information into your Droid it will bring up that address. Press and navigate

Second method would be to "Star" the addresses on Google Maps on your PC. They will show up in your Droid, and you can navigate from there.

OP
M

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Thanks.
I will work on it over the weekend.
:)

Sherry
Sent from Droid

REMilk

Reaction score
I would try GeoReader. This app allows you to see historical road signs/markers.

Listen As You Drive - Hear what markers say as you drive, without stopping to read, making your trip more enjoyable. All hands-free, driver- friendly.

Limitless Landmarks - Create and share your talking points, browse other users, or even use official landmarks across the US.

MyGeoReader: Hear as you near. Learn as you go.

Happy Trails!
Bob

OP
M

Mamaperk

Reaction score
I'm not looking to overclock, just wanting to use either google nav or another app that will allow me to navigate to several places along the way. From what I have done w/ google nav/maps I haven't been able to do that but admit I have barely used the stock gps/nav/map yet so I was hoping someone may know of a way. Starring several locations via my pc is probably what I will have to do from home... then maybe I will use yelp or something while on the road. I would love to see more of a road trip planner addition to google maps though.

Sherry
Sent from Droid

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Yeah, I would say starring places and printing an itinerary is a good idea. You can always uses the "Places" app (that came with Gmaps 4.4) to find nearby things as you go along.