first road trip with droid. impressions.

Reaction score
my girlfriend and i were asked to chaperone a couple of 18yr old girls on their spring break trip to panama city beach and stay in a VERY nice penthouse condo on the beach. what am i gonna say? no? so.. my feelings on the droid? mixed. verizon has terrible coverage down there! gf has verizon and one of the girls did too. while they had dumb phones and seemed to work decent at best, 3g was basically nil.which was very frustrating for me as its when i needed my maps and gps the most. that said, once we got out of the immediate area my phone was literally a life saver for everything else. navigation and just basically finding stuff to do.road trip navigation is almost an impossibility without a car charger though. very suprised to report that coverage was the issue...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
my girlfriend and i were asked to chaperone a couple of 18yr old girls on their spring break trip to panama city beach and stay in a VERY nice penthouse condo on the beach. what am i gonna say? no? so.. my feelings on the droid? mixed. verizon has terrible coverage down there! gf has verizon and one of the girls did too. while they had dumb phones and seemed to work decent at best, 3g was basically nil.which was very frustrating for me as its when i needed my maps and gps the most. that said, once we got out of the immediate area my phone was literally a life saver for everything else. navigation and just basically finding stuff to do.road trip navigation is almost an impossibility without a car charger though. very suprised to report that coverage was the issue...

So, when was the last time you did a *228 option 2 to update your PRL's? Or have you ever done one?

justbob

Reaction score
PRL is the preferred roaming list. You should update it periodically so your phone will know where all the cell towers are. Do what Hookbill says and dial *228. Once the robot lady answers, pick option 2 and the phone will do the rest!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i have never done that nor know what that is sir. explain?

JustBob explained it well enough, I'm saying that this may have been the reason why you were having coverage difficulties. Do it at least once a month to make sure you have the latest. Matter of fact a new one was just released the other day.

You can also see your PRL number by going to settings/about phone/firmware version and then you'll find PRL's.

Reaction score
Only thing I have had problems with is the battery, but I have not travel led that far from home. Also, about this condo: :icon_ worthless:.

th9203

Reaction score
There's an evil voice in my phone...

I too am guilty of not upgrading my roaming settings since I activated my phone in December. I just did it and was a bit surprised when the little voice in my phone :icon_evil: told me to call an 800 number because they could not ACTIVATE my phone. Now this phone has been on-line for just about 3 months so why did the little voice talk to me that way? I ignored the little voice and tried again. Everything is ok now, the little voice is happy again. :icon_ banana:

Last edited:

c_mack9

Reaction score
i dream of the day i get provided with a condo and 2 18 yr old girls...

OP
C
Reaction score
lol.. heres me demonstrating my terrible chaperoning skills... and a few of the condo and the view..