Google My Tracks import to Google Maps GPS

Tekmazter

Reaction score
I'm using Google My Tracks to map some of the trips I make to various places and then upload those trips into Google Maps and Google Earth. This is all very stunning.

However, what'd I like to do now is to import one of My Tracks mappings (they can be in KML or GPX file format) and input them into Google Maps on my DROID.

Here's a scenario ... I'm having a house party and know that if I simply give everyone my address, the GPS is going to take them thru an area which is not necessarily the best route to take.

In the form of KML or GPX, I could very easily email them a file and have them import it into their Android Google Maps so the route loads with a predetermined route set by me.

Anyone know if this is possible?

OP
T

Tekmazter

Reaction score
Well after playing around with My Tracks a little more, I managed to figure this out on my own.

For anyone else interested in sending a predetermined route to a friends Google Maps GPS while using My Tracks, all you need to do is the following:

1. Record a track
2. Save the track
3. Long press on the saved track
4. Choose to Share with friends
5. Choose to send a link to your friends
6. Send the email ...

Once your friends received the email, all they need to do is click on the link inside of it. The map will open inside of Google Maps.
Have your friends long-press the track name inside of the map and say Navigate.

Very slick indeed.

Shaalan

Reaction score
Someone has tried to do exactly this with me. I have a delivery route that was emailed to me but the file extension is .kmz. when I click on it, droid says it cannot open the file. Any body have any clues on how I can get into it?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Tekmazter - Sometimes My Tracks seems to mess up and SAY it uploaded the recording to Google, but it didn't... I have messed up a few times with this error so make sure its uploaded before you delete the track.

Shaalan - I may be wrong but I think KMZ is a Google Earth point file?