LogMeIn Ignition launches, just another expensive remote desktop app?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
LogMeIn, the famous remote desktop software company, has finally released its Android app, dubbed Ignition. Ignition has been in beta for quite some time, and after being tested by thousands of users, it seems to have been deemed ready for its Market debut. Now we already know that the Android Market has available a ton of remote desktop apps already, including PhoneMyPC, Remote Desktop, Remote RDP, among others. And Ignition comes with a hefty price tag of $29.99. So why choose this one over those less-expensive alternatives?

Well, here is the list of features (to me, the features seem rather basic):

• Access and directly control remote PCs and/or Macs utilizing LogMeIn Free or LogMeIn Pro2
  • Connect from Android devices running the Android OS v1.5 and greater
  • Login with one-touch using locally encrypted, and stored account and password information
  • Navigate a computer – and move the mouse — using Android touch gestures, including pinch and pan zoom navigation
  • Access full onscreen keyboard and use Mac or PC key combinations and shortcuts
  • Switch between remote monitors for viewing expanded desktops

Aside from a lackluster set of features, Ignition does bring along a very reputable brand name in LogMeIn, and the app provides a refreshingly clean UI. Take a look at the screenshot below:

2hmcvwy.jpg

LogMeIn Ignition is available via the Android Market, initially in Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland, the UK and the USA. Ignition will require devices running the Android 1.5 and greater. Check out the official LogMeIn Ignition for Android video below:

[video=youtube;b533707rWuo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b533707rWuo"]YouTube - Ignition for Android[/video]

So, has anybody had a chance to use the LogMeIn beta or this official release yet? What are your thoughts on it? Let us know.

via Phandroid

Check out the full Press Release, which won't be official until July 19th:
LogMeIn Does Android

Popular mobile app, LogMeIn Ignition, now available for Android devices

WOBURN, Mass., July 19, 2010 – It’s official. LogMeIn, Inc. (NASDAQ: LOGM) just unveiled its popular LogMeIn Ignition app for Android-based mobile devices and smartphones. Now available in the Android Market, the remote access application gives people one-touch access to files and applications on their PCs and Macs – literally allowing them to remote control their computers – from their Android device. Looking to troubleshoot problems with the boss’ laptop from the comfort of a beach chair? Dealing with the latest work fire drill while in line to ride Space Mountain? Need to rebuild a file server while at the airport? Ignition for Android is the indispensible mobile app that ensures your data is always as close as your smartphone.

A video demonstration of the new Ignition for Android app in action is available on LogMeIn’s YouTube channel
“Ignition for Android is a great application for taking care of business outside the office,” said Mike Foxall, Head of LED operations for OMM and a LogMeIn Ignition for Android user. Foxall uses the application from his Android phone to manage multi-media advertising displays at several English Premier League football stadiums, and sporting venues like Wembley Stadium. “I can use the app to remote control the display computers directly from the stands without the need to lug around a cumbersome laptop. It opens up new possibilities to better serve our clients and troubleshoot potential problems on the go, directly from the palm of my hand.”

LogMeIn Ignition for Android gives people the ability to:
- Access and directly control remote PCs and/or Macs utilizing LogMeIn Free or LogMeIn Pro2
- Connect from Android devices running the Android OS v1.5 and greater
- Login with one-touch using locally encrypted, and stored account and password information
- Navigate a computer – and move the mouse — using Android touch gestures, including pinch and pan zoom navigation
- Access full onscreen keyboard and use Mac or PC key combinations and shortcuts
- Switch between remote monitors for viewing expanded desktops

“Our global community of LogMeIn users has been very vocal in their desire for us to support remote access from Android devices. With tens of thousands of beta users, this is a product built directly from their feedback,” said Andrew Burton, LogMeIn’s vice president, Access & Management. “Ignition for Android represents a significant first step in LogMeIn’s overall support of the Android platform, and is a natural extension of our ongoing commitment to giving mobile individuals access to their information from virtually any device.”

Initially available via the Android Market in Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland, the UK and the USA, LogMeIn Ignition for Android supports devices running the Android OS v1.5 and greater.

The app is optimized for more than 26 Android-based devices, including popular models like the Nexus One, HTC Desire, HTC Dream, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, HTC Magic, Motorola Cliq, Motorola Droid, Samsung Moment, and T-Mobile G1. Localized versions of the app are available in Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish.
The LogMeIn Ignition for Android app can be downloaded from the Android Market for a one-time charge of $29.99*.

Last edited:

Handshake

Reaction score
Teamviewer which is free are developing their app for android... theya lready have it for iOS and its free..... cant wait for that for android as I think Teamviewer is better then LogMeIn

had a bad experience with them

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
HELL YA! This was one of the apps that was holding me to the iPhone. I decided to get the Droid-X tomorrow at a loss of LogMeIn Ignition. This is great news. I haven't heard of Teamviewer as mentioned above, but I love LogMeIn. Been using it for several years and have a few dozen machines attached to my account.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I wonder how it'll step up to PhoneMyPC...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been a LogMeIn user for years and always had good experiences with them... on the desktop obviously, then the iPhone, and now the beta on Android. I've never used PhoneMyPC, so I can't compare, but I've always liked LogMeIn.

phatkat66

Reaction score
Great!

I was just about to start a thread asking for alternative apps to PhoneMyPC as my kids found out about it now they keep uninstalling it from the PC. Now I can't watch them when I get those bad vibes.

Is this the only aternative?

Gattaca

Reaction score
What about our Computer?

Does the computer that we're remotely logging in to need to be turned on simultaneously?

mach330

Reaction score
this one works for mac. are there any other similar apps that works with mac? $30 is kind'a pricey if phonemypc is only $10 (but no mac support).

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
phatkat66 - Haha, if your kids kep uninstalling PhoneMyPC then you don't need to spy on them, thats solid proof that they are being bad! Spank! Haha.

Gattaca - COmputer needs to be on yes.

Phone my PC rox

skagmire

Reaction score
I've been using the LogMeIn Ignition Beta for some time now.

Originally I used PhoneMyPC as a workaround until the Ignition Beta came out. I liked both Remote Desktop apps but I have decided to only use Ignition (I'm going to wait for the Beta to expire before I buy it).
My main issues with PhoneMyPC were that the desktop software doesn't auto update when they make changes and they do make drastic changes that will cause the Android app to not communicate with your desktop and that I don't like having multiple programs running on my home PCs that do basically the same thing (even more when they could open my network up to others).

There are a few features that I miss that PhoneMyPC has, like being able to use my phone as a keyboard and mouse (which has issues if you use a third party software keyboard sometimes) but I only ever bother with that when I used it with my PC that I have hooked up to my TV.

If you already use LogMeIn already I think that buying Ignition is a no brainer. $30 isn't going to break the bank for me so I don't mind, plus as a software developer myself I don't mind showing support with my wallet.

skagmire

Reaction score
when will they disable the beta?

It is expiring on 7/21/2010

Oh, as an added bonus, I got an email from LogMeIn for a free T-shirt and its because I was in the beta. It probably helps that I've been using there services for a couple years.

Sadly I probably will wear it since I'm a programmer...