LogMeIn Ignition Beta Available

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
only played with it for a few minutes, but seems to work very well so far

hey been playing with it. If you computer or laptop is off, or the lid is closed, how can you access your computer. It defeats the purpose if you can only access it if your computer is on.

I know the paid desktop version has a feature where you can wake a computer up... don't know if that can/will be implemented into the mobile version or not.

pyro6128

Reaction score
hey been playing with it. If you computer or laptop is off, or the lid is closed, how can you access your computer. It defeats the purpose if you can only access it if your computer is on.

Yea I hear what your saying. Sometimes I try and watch my favorite tv shows, but I can't watch them when the tv is off! Kinda defeats the purpose of a tv if you can't watch shows when its off.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yea I hear what your saying. Sometimes I try and watch my favorite tv shows, but I can't watch them when the tv is off! Kinda defeats the purpose of a tv if you can't watch shows when its off.

This made me spew Mountain Dew all over my desk. My first thought was "exactly!"

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Despite you guys making me laugh, I get where pilot is coming from... I don't have the paid LogMeIn version, so there are a lot of times where I call my wife and say "hey can you turn my laptop on please" when I'm at my office. But 9 times out of 10 that's not the case since 9 times out of 10 I'm using my Laptop (or phone now!) to access other desktops that stay on 24/7.

edit: I also have never actually tried the paid version where you can supposedly wake a computer up... anybody that has, I'd be curious as to how well it works

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Um, if the computer is off, it's OFF. No app can get to it, if it's off. Did we miss what you were trying to say? :huh:

Anyway, I'll have to try this out. To the OP, thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I understand that. But who leave their laptop and computer on all day.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Let me clarify. When I close the lid on my laptop it goes in to sleep mode (pretty much off). I am not wanting to burn electricity leaving my computer on all day just to access it once in a blue moon from my droid.

texasPI

Reaction score

Um, if the computer is off, it's OFF. No app can get to it, if it's off. Did we miss what you were trying to say? :huh:

I'm not sure what you were expecting. Nothing can turn it on remotely for you. Anyway, if you leave it in sleep or hibernation, as I do, then you can wake it with logmein.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I'm not sure what you were expecting. Nothing can turn it on remotely for you. Anyway, if you leave it in sleep or hibernation, as I do, then you can wake it with logmein.

That must be for the premium version because once my laptop goes into hibernation mode it can not be accessed. By the way I am not referring to physically turning it off, I was talking about when it goes into hibernation mode after closing the lid.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
yes, it's the paid version that does that

Reaction score
Actually, it is possible to turn a computer on (even if it is properly 'off') using Wake On LAN. This is the technology that LogMeIn uses, but they probably can't fully realize the feature [of most modern PCs] because of their use of NAT Traversal for networking. Once the PC goes to sleep, no more network traffic is sent, and in a short time the NAT routes time out and the PC becomes unavailable to the LMI servers.

We're excited that Ignition is out (in Beta) and have spent some time playing with it. One of the motivators behind PhoneMyPC was that LMI was not available and we didn't want to wait 18 months and then pay $30 per phone for it, RDP is too proprietary and limited (at video and high-quality graphics) and VNC is too slow.

Part of the reason for the long delay on the latest PhoneMyPC build has been preparation for the competition with LMI. We're a bit slower because we're smaller and didn't have a mostly-done solution (servers, PC clients), so there's much more work to do.

Nonetheless, we expect soon to be the clear winner in terms of quality and features, and as [former, long-time] LMI users, if even they "follow us" and improve their speed, add sound and file transfer without the monthly fees, and add some of the additional features, we'll be excited to have helped drive real improvement in the Android ecosystem.

Consequently, for anybody interested, here is our review of the new Ignition Beta (with some comparison to PhoneMyPC):

* Overall, it worked well
* The second connection attempt failed
* The third connection worked, but resized the monitor to 640x480

LogMeIn uses a mirror driver on the PC and renders actual Windows content on the phone. This makes it's visual quality for text and line graphics very good, and better than PhoneMyPC when zoomed in beyond 100%, while also taxing the CPU so much that the back of the phones we tested on became hot.

LogMeIn's performance with graphical content (desktop background, photo viewing, videos) was poor; the default quality was low (loss of color data) and frame rates ranged from 1/8 to 1/2 of what PhoneMyPC delivered (YouTube, Hulu, etc.).

While neither objectively better or worse, LMI's default navigation, in which your cursor is pinned in the center of the screen and you move the desktop behind it, worked as expected. However, the pan and zoom had a 'stiff' feeling, with no kinetics or motion smoothing.

All in all Ignition does what LMI does well: lets you access your stuff.

As users, we should all demand sound and file transfer all at a reasonable price point when the Beta ends.

Oh, and about our updates: we're sorry for the delays, but they're coming, and worth the wait!

bmb0205

Reaction score
What are the benefits of this app? It's 330am and I'm not really thinking hard but the first thing that comes to mind is access to word/excel/pp files/pictures on your pc.

What else makes it awesome?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
well as soon as there's sound.....who needs an sdcard? you could play your music/movie library or see your pics on your droid from anywhere:D

legalkill

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force
I couldn't figure out how to access multiple displays. I only see the main display when I login. I know that PCanywhere treats both as a huge display on the remote.

schellbl

Reaction score
So I went to logmein.com to get a userid and it looks like I can't add one. There isn't a button to say "create new user". Anyone else having the same problem?