log off gmail

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Is there a way I can log off my gmail account on my Droid? This phone is a pain in the butt. It will not tell me when I have mail. I have to periodically refresh my account to recieve messages. When I press my gmail widget it goes straight to my inbox. Is there a way that I can log off and then just sign in and out when I need to? I recieved 4 emails today according to my computer but they never came to my Droid. Thanks

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you downloaded any apps? Do you have ATK (task killer) downloaded?

Also check to make sure you sync is on.

Settings > Accounts and sync.

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Yes sync is on. Also I do have taskkilr however that just quits the app. What I was wandering was is there anyway to totally log off of gmail just like you do on a pc? Just curious. Thanks for all your help.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Taskiller has been giving people problems with notifications, especially with GMAIL.

I use "Advances Task Manager"... 99 cents, but I never had any problems and doesn't seem to mess with any apps or notifications.

R

racklefratz

Is there a way I can log off my gmail account on my Droid? This phone is a pain in the butt. It will not tell me when I have mail.
Either the phone is defective or something's not set right.

On my Droid, in overall phone settings, there's an "Accounts and Sync" option where I can opt to have the phone sync with Gmail on/off, as well as a couple of data sync settings. In my pop email settings, there's an option to have the phone check for email at intervals or not at all. I have them enabled, and I do get icon notifications at the top of the home screen when anything arrives, texting, gmail, pop mail, voicemail,...whatever.

If yours is set to do all that and it's not happening, time to have a heart-to-heart with your ever-so-friendly VZW rep.

On the question of "logging off Gmail", I don't think so. That question is reminiscent of all the hullabaloo back in the early days of data-capable cell phones, and everyone was upset they couldn't terminate their internet connection to return to "voice" mode. The whole thing was totally specious and just used up a lot of needless bandwidth - the phones were designed to take care of all that transparently to users.

Similarly, I don't believe it's intended that we log our phones in and out of Gmail. It's a "push" environment by design. If you don't want your Gmail traffic to show up at your phone immediately, there's a setting to turn sync off. But I don't see the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Thanks guys. You all rock on here. Rackle that helped alot. So there is no way to log off and on gmail. It keeps you logged in all the time. cool. Also I noticed last night my sync was set for 4 days. I changed it to all and low and behold this morning I had mail. No if I could get this thing to stop waking me up at night while it is chargiing. lol Thanks alot. Everyones input is greatly appreciated.

moosc

Reaction score
task killers will f up your emails when used. u will either have to manually restart email or do a quick reboot.. stop using task killers there is no need wth android....

Elaine1121

Reaction score
Yes sync is on. Also I do have taskkilr however that just quits the app. What I was wandering was is there anyway to totally log off of gmail just like you do on a pc? Just curious. Thanks for all your help.
I have the same exact problem with my Gmail, can't logout. I use the Advanced Task Killer but it only closes the other applications. I can press the Gmail icon at any time and it goes right into my mail account. Call me crazy but I think most people like their email to be private. Oh and the same is true for the Facebook icon. If anyone finds a fix for this, please let me know.

Elaine

oldshore

Reaction score
So if you lose your Droid, anyone can have access to all your gmail without needing your password. I don't like this feature. The only alternative is to lock the entire Droid, and unlock every time you want to use it.

boatman2220

Reaction score
You can lock the phone. Bring up the browser and sign out if you want. Not sure how that would effect message delivery.

greekgrl61

Reaction score
Just got my Droid today and if I had been told that there was NO WAY to protect my gmail account from being read short of strapping the phone to my body so no one else could touch it, I wouldn't have gotten the DROID. This is unbelieveable, I have been searching the web for over 2 hours trying to find some way to log off gmail on the Droid. I fail to see the logic in having an email account OPEN at ALL times, available to anyone who happens to pick up the phone and tap an icon. This is a privacy issue as well as a security issue and I would hope that Verizon/google would be devoting a good deal of time to a fix rather than developing more apps that we can surely live without for however long it would take to to come up with a reasonable solution to this issue. If the powers that be don't think this is as big an issue as I do, how about they leave their email open for ME to read whenever the mood strikes me? Please tell me a solution to this is in the works or...how about already finished and how I can LOG OUT OF/PROTECT GMAIL ON MY DROID. Thanks, rant over.

Droids

Reaction score
Just got my Droid today and if I had been told that there was NO WAY to protect my gmail account from being read short of strapping the phone to my body so no one else could touch it, I wouldn't have gotten the DROID. This is unbelieveable, I have been searching the web for over 2 hours trying to find some way to log off gmail on the Droid. I fail to see the logic in having an email account OPEN at ALL times, available to anyone who happens to pick up the phone and tap an icon. This is a privacy issue as well as a security issue and I would hope that Verizon/google would be devoting a good deal of time to a fix rather than developing more apps that we can surely live without for however long it would take to to come up with a reasonable solution to this issue. If the powers that be don't think this is as big an issue as I do, how about they leave their email open for ME to read whenever the mood strikes me? Please tell me a solution to this is in the works or...how about already finished and how I can LOG OUT OF/PROTECT GMAIL ON MY DROID. Thanks, rant over.
Well I suppose you could use the built-in lock screen to prevent un-authorized use of your phone. Just a thought. No different than your computer at work or home.

billyidle

Reaction score
If you just purchased it today, you have 29 more days to learn about your new phone, and keep it, and love it. Or you can return it and try something else that is more what you're looking for.
If living in the google cloud doesn't appeal to you, the Droid is not going to sit well with you.

greekgrl61

Reaction score
Well I suppose you could use the built-in lock screen to prevent un-authorized use of your phone. Just a thought. No different than your computer at work or home.

A bandaid not a fix. Yes, it is different than my computer at work or home, at work or home, I can LOG OFF, I don't have to LOCK the computer and then UNLOCK it to use it. If a friend or one of my children is using the phone, well it wouldn't be locked then. If you could perhaps explain the logic behind the issue, maybe it would make more sense. Right now, it's just not making a whole lot of sense. Search the web and see how many others are asking the same log off question, doesn't seem to make sense to them either. Other than this, at first look, I love the phone.