Locale worth $10?

In addition to the actual problems I had with the app, I also have a problem with the general principle of the app...

For example, I don't really go to bed, wake up, leave the house, etc at the same time every day. So setting it to turn off notifications at 9pm, 10pm, or even 1am might just depend on the day. Same with location, etc. Just not worth the hassle, not to mention it never quite worked right for me.

I got it when it was free. Stopped working well about a week after that. I would say it definitely not work $10! That is a rip off. My roomate has the $10 version and it works half the time.

My free version is still working so I'll stick with that for now. But is it worth ten bucks? Tough call.

I mean I use LOTS of its features, the new "Locale ALL Volumes" sets system, ring, notification, media, alarm and voice-in-call to specific levels based on where I am, the time of day, etc. I turn on and off functions like WiFi and Blue tooth. I even set backgrounds for when I'm home, office, or at a Penguins hockey game. Screen brighness and time outs. Ringtones. You name it. About the only thing I do not use is the shortcut plug I got. Haven't found the need to launch an application based on my location as of yet. Is it 100% affective 100% of the time? No, it lags some here and there, but it normally works quite well.

So is it worth ten? I say to me it is. YMMV

In addition to the actual problems I had with the app, I also have a problem with the general principle of the app...

For example, I don't really go to bed, wake up, leave the house, etc at the same time every day. So setting it to turn off notifications at 9pm, 10pm, or even 1am might just depend on the day. Same with location, etc. Just not worth the hassle, not to mention it never quite worked right for me.

Well... yeah... Stands to reason that if you don't follow a schedule then scheduling software is going to be kind of useless to you. :D

Well... yeah... Stands to reason that if you don't follow a schedule then scheduling software is going to be kind of useless to you. :D

Agree that SOME of it is on a schedule, but it's called LOCALE for a reason. As they say location, location, location.

Got a goofy ringtone not proper for work? To hard to hear the ringer when at a sporting event? Ringer to loud when at the mall? No need for WiFi on when not at home? Want a cooler :rolleyes: background when at the bar with the guys, one that would not fly at home with the wife :eek:?

All those are location based and can be done with Locale.

anyone tried to update their free locale? I tried mine but it will cost me $10 to update it now.....

So, to get it out of the way $10 was steep, but Locale has been working for me quite well - so well that I almost don't think about it (but it did take some time to configure/set up).

My question on the app is the "Airplane Mode" - I am sure I am just missing something but would I set up a "situation" named airport that has Airplane mode enabled and that would automatically turn off the phone and internet. . .but if I set it by the airport address and I am just sitting at a gate waiting to leave, I would want the phone and web accessible and only when I am on the plane would I turn those features off. . .so what am I missing? Why use the plug in and not just do it via the menu/settings? What am I missing? (Sorry for the long post).

Those that have it; what is the power usage? It just occurred to me that is would have to be operating in the background, checking your location.

I wish it was $5 and I would really get this app. I just can't see spending $10 on an app for a phone. But I guess if it works as well as everyone says, then maybe that justifies the price. I'm not sure though.

I got it for free but I love it. It takes some tweaking to get your settings to work correctly but once you do it is so nice not to worry about your phone settings. I also got my wake on lan to work so I don't have to wait for my work computer and home computer to start up. Well worth ten bucks if you can set it up right.

I love it, Just set it and for get it! I love that you can decrease or increase the radius to fine tune the location settings. I have it set to just cover the building I work in, so it will go silent the when I enter but turn everything back on when I exit the building.

Back