Locale/Tasker using calendar?

harrellj

Reaction score
I've currently got the paid version of Locale (and have been thinking about switching to Tasker) and I'm wondering if there is something that is similar to either that will also change settings based off events on the calendar. The idea is that for one-off events (rare movie trips/theater trips/job interviews at odd hours/etc) a whole setup doesn't have to be created to match it. Is this even possible based off the APIs?

TruK

Reaction score
there is an an app called "settings profile" that might fit what your looking for.

techguru

Reaction score
There is a locale plugi that can do calendar based tasks. Paid of course :(

sirmeili

Reaction score
Tasker does this built in based on your availability. You can set Availability to No, Yes, or any as well as select what calendar (I use the exchange one, in case you want to know if it works with that), as well as filter by location, title, and description (I believe, I only use it for the "availability" side).

I also own Locale, and this one feature is what is going to get me to switch. Also, my phone sped up quite a lot by removing all the local plugins I had running. each of the 4 plugins was using 12MB of memory, and local used 25-50 on top of that. I think its great, but Tasker seems to be more feature packed than locale.

Please note, it may be because I haven't set it up as well, but Tasker works quite differently. There is no "default" situation. after a "situation" (context in Tasker) is ended, it reverts settings to what they were before that context started. I had my dock set to turn the keylock off, and my headphones to turn it on, and no matter what order I ended those contexts, it always ended with the key lock off. however, If you use the variables tasks in Tasker, I think you can get around this. I do think this is however mainly due to how I have it set up.

OP
harrellj

harrellj

Reaction score
Tasker does this built in based on your availability. You can set Availability to No, Yes, or any as well as select what calendar (I use the exchange one, in case you want to know if it works with that), as well as filter by location, title, and description (I believe, I only use it for the "availability" side).

I also own Locale, and this one feature is what is going to get me to switch. Also, my phone sped up quite a lot by removing all the local plugins I had running. each of the 4 plugins was using 12MB of memory, and local used 25-50 on top of that. I think its great, but Tasker seems to be more feature packed than locale.

Please note, it may be because I haven't set it up as well, but Tasker works quite differently. There is no "default" situation. after a "situation" (context in Tasker) is ended, it reverts settings to what they were before that context started. I had my dock set to turn the keylock off, and my headphones to turn it on, and no matter what order I ended those contexts, it always ended with the key lock off. however, If you use the variables tasks in Tasker, I think you can get around this. I do think this is however mainly due to how I have it set up.
Cool, thanks for the head's up. I've been debating hard about switching to Tasker and getting rid of the locale plugins would be nice (keeping the ones that aren't already implemented in Tasker though).