Locale replacement

FRATBoy

Reaction score
I really liked Locale...until it became a pay app.

The beta was free, but had its issues. (inaccurate GPS for one). Now with Locale 1.0, this is potentially fixed, but with a steep $10 price tag.

Are there any apps out there that do pretty much the same thing as locale, but are more reasonably priced or free?

drowe

Reaction score
I'm using timeriffic to replace Locale. Since the location wasn't reliable, I realized I mostly used the time functions. I work from 8-5, set to vibrate. Evenings, ring, from 10-7 quiet. It works well and you can set the volume, vibrate, notifications, etc.

OP
F

FRATBoy

Reaction score
I looked at timeriffic but I use a couple of other functions of locale...such as Contacts (when wife call, ring at max volume), etc...

LarryCC

Reaction score
The Locale beta just expired on me...:mad: Anyone know of another app that knows when the phone is plugged in between certain hours, and then it'll adjust the sound?

Just need to really turn off notifications at night.

jbsangel

Reaction score
Anyone know of another app that knows when the phone is plugged in between certain hours, and then it'll adjust the sound?
This is what I want too, but *le sigh* i have found no replacement as of yet. I really hate to buy locale for $10 just for that.

I am using Timeriffic to quiet my phone during work and sleep hours, but I just know the day is coming when I'm not actually home and in bed during my "sleep" hours and I miss a call or txt because my notifications are turned down or off.

OP
F

FRATBoy

Reaction score
I have been using Toggle Settings (its in the market) by CoolMagic.

Does everything I want done, and can do more.

The *only* thing that doesn't quite work on it is that it doesn't detect being plugged in very well. Sometimes it works, most of the time, it changes to Charging Settings when I unplug the charger.

Hopefully the devs will notice this bug and get it fixed...

I have yet to find anything else that worked. Timeriffic was crap and didn't hardly ever work...

jbsangel

Reaction score
thanks for sharing, i'm going to check it out. timeriffic works great for me, has never once failed to switch in a month of use.

The *only* thing that doesn't quite work on it is that it doesn't detect being plugged in very well. Sometimes it works, most of the time, it changes to Charging Settings when I unplug the charger.
looks like others are reporting the same.

deputc26

Reaction score
Have you guys tried Layar? heard it's similar but haven't tried it yet.

Reaction score
quick profiles does everything that locale did for me. i would just recommend having a different wallpaper for each of your profile otherwise you have no idea what profile is selected. i had that feature set on locale anyway so it wasn't a big deal to me. otherwise it works great and much faster than locale and it's free.

Mateles

Reaction score
It looks like Locale (beta) is still working for me. I can't access any of the settings, but it looks like it's still doing what it did before. All of the app comments say the paid version is horrible.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Yeah, even when expired the beta Locale worked for me. I uninstalled it anyways cause I wasn't a fan of it.

Master Yun

Reaction score
Most reliable program I've used is "Sound Manager" to make a shortcut to mute/unmute. So one push of an icon to make it mute or unmute. :)

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
@funky, that looks promising, in my brief perusal I couldn't find a download.

For the others that were using Locale beta, have you found that it no longer works at all? I have. And the reply I got from the dev was that there was a 'trial' period. Bummer for me.

I got kind of spoiled with it, as I used to use time based settings on my last smartphone, the Moto Napoleon, but for me the LBS with Locale was pretty good and I have been trying out 'settings profiles' today, but it doesn't seem near as good as far as knowing when I'm at 'work'. I'll keep trying and looking . . .