listen to the Howard Stern show....!

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
Same thing has happened on Cherry Rplayer too. Noticed it a few days ago. I'm trying to see if theres a way to stream it from my pc at home through Orb. Not sure it's going to work but it's worth a try!

nerdkill

Reaction score
i wouldn't be bummed about them pulling all the howard shows off cherry rplayer and such if they would have had him on the offical sirius app coming out. i honestly have no use for sirius other than howard and jason ellis. the music on sirius is awful, as bad as fm radio now. i wonder if once we get flash we'll be able to listen off of the media player on the web site. until then i just tether my phone to my netbook and listen that way. it's all so stupid, because i'm still using my phone to listen to stern. maybe we'll get lucky and they'll finally bring over pocket tunes to android.

also search howard and there is a show called howard 24/7 that plays a bunch of their favorite episodes with good editing.

nerdkill

Reaction score
the other thing i've been doing is wirelessly tethering my droid to my iphone and then running the pocket tunes app from that. it's the only thing i miss about my iphone.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I would bet that the sirius/xm app will not carry howard. It doesn't have it on the iphone.

I may be repeating myself inthis thread but I've set up my desktop computer to record howard every morning, put it into and mp3 and upload it to a web server. I love this method and highly recommend it if you can get it going.

You don't have to bet... it's already confirmed they will block Howard on their official app just like iPhone.

Hopefully, also like iPhone, we'll have a hack or a homebrew alternative... because it is only the application itself blocking Stern, there is nothing else preventing anything from SIR actually getting to our phones.

These other things... they are pirated rebroadcasts. That's why they disappear... they are illegal.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I downloaded this app today and loved it so much I bought it. Great app.

solorca

Reaction score
DroidLive is a great way to find pretty much anything that you've missed on the radio.

I have really enjoyed listening to old Phil Hendrie show episodes (2-3 channels play old episodes almost constantly). It's also neat to listen to some of the old Coast to Coast episodes too.

lmg009

Reaction score
Howard 100

I downloaded the app, but can't find Howard 100, just two Howard 101 stations. Am I doing something wrong?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
How to record radio and listen on your Droid

I'm sure that Sirius has tracked down whoever was running that feed and canceled their account. If you want to listen to Stern legally on your Droid, you can but it takes some setting up.

STEP ONE - THE SOURCE
Subscribe to Sirius. Get Howard's show coming out of your home computer's speakers. The easiest and best way is to get a radio and use a mini-RCA male-to-male adapter plugged into your computer's line in. Another way is to use the online player at sirius.com. I think it's $3/month extra if you already subscribe. I'm not sure how much it is by itself. This player shuts off every 30 minutes or so. The workaround is to install the Greasemonkey addon in Firefox and use the following user script for this URL:
Code:
http://www.sirius.com/sirius/servlet/MediaPlayer?*
Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @namespace      http://userscripts.org/users/47552
// @name           Sirus_Still_Listening
// @author         Justin Woodman
// @version 1.0
// @description    Allow you to listen to Sirus Internet Stream without the constant prompts asking if you are still listening.
// @include        http://www.sirius.com/sirius/servlet/MediaPlayer?*
// ==/UserScript==
function isUserStillListening() { userIsListening(); }
function embedFunction(s) {
document.body.appendChild(document.createElement('script')).innerHTML=s.toString().replace(/([\s\S]*?return;){2}([\s\S]*)}/,'$2');
}
embedFunction(isUserStillListening);
At least that worked last time I tried it. Unfortunately, it sometimes still cuts out so the first method with an actual radio is the best. You may have better luck with the Opera browser. Just put the following script into C:\Program Files\Opera\userscripts\sirius.js

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @include http://www.sirius.com/sirius/servlet/MediaPlayer?*
// ==/UserScript==
window.opera.defineMagicFunction('isUserStillListening',function({userIsListening();});
You'll also have to set Opera to mask itself as Firefox or Internet Explorer otherwise sirius.com won't let you play the stream. Opera menu > Settings > Quick Preferences > Edit Site Preferences > Network > ...use whatever setting allows you to hear Howard.

I will reiterate that hooking up an actual radio to your computer is the best thing because you will get frustrated when the online feed invariably gives out and you miss a show.

STEP TWO - RECORD OR STREAM
One person mentioned Orb. I haven't use it, but you can set it up to stream anything on your PC: MyCast your digital media with Orb 2.0 remote pc access software

The way I did it, though, was to use a piece of free software called Krut Computer Recorder: Krut Computer Recorder

You can download Krut and have it record whatever is playing on your computer. I actually altered the code to have it upload the Stern show as an MP3 to a web server every morning and it works great. This way I never miss a show and I can fast forward/rewind. If anyone wants this code just let me know and I'll post it along with instructions. You'll be able to download the Krut source from their sourceforge page and copy/paste a few changes and you'll be up and running in no time.

STEP THREE - LISTEN
Once the MP3 is on your home computer, just use Orb to stream it to your Droid. Or, if you use Krut and have a web server you can just direct your Droid's web browser to your Stern page and download or stream the MP3. My MP3 is available every morning at 8:58am California time. A word of caution: do not share your MP3 with the world. I do believe that Sirius may be able to track you down if you do.

nacho220

Reaction score
I was just listening to that Philly 101 or whatever station link, it was the Howard Stern show, and I went to add to my favorites and then it refreshed to a foreign station and I cannot get the Howard Stern show back. Sounds like what the previous user was saying in his post, must have been tracked down and canceled.

chrisaba1

Reaction score
HOWARD on Android

WUNDER RADIO now supports sirius/xm and you can listen to all stations, especially HOWARD STERN, the connection is also great not like the sirius app which skips all the time and disconnects. You must have a sirius web account in order to listen. But worth every penny... STERN we speak your name...