Listen to streaming radio on my droid?

brenj888

Reaction score
I get my Droid on Tuesday, and I have been gathering all my little tools and accessories that will let me play with it right away!

I go on the most boring 8 hour drive to Kentucky about once a month. For the last few hours of the trip I only get sermons and super country music on the radio! (no offense to those religious or country oriented!) My main interest is listening to NPR. Now I am trying to figure out how to stream my NPR when I get out of regular radio range.

I bought a Jabra SP200 speaker type thing that attaches to the visor. I thought I could use it to talk on the phone safely. NOW...I am wondering...can I also use it to stream the radio stations I like?

OR...should I forget the Jabra and use a better method?

hal1

Reaction score
Moodio.fm

Go to moodio.com on your PC, set up your stations, then go to m.moodio.fom on you phone.

ThePhoneGuy

Reaction score
I get my Droid on Tuesday, and I have been gathering all my little tools and accessories that will let me play with it right away!

I go on the most boring 8 hour drive to Kentucky about once a month. For the last few hours of the trip I only get sermons and super country music on the radio! (no offense to those religious or country oriented!) My main interest is listening to NPR. Now I am trying to figure out how to stream my NPR when I get out of regular radio range.

I bought a Jabra SP200 speaker type thing that attaches to the visor. I thought I could use it to talk on the phone safely. NOW...I am wondering...can I also use it to stream the radio stations I like?

OR...should I forget the Jabra and use a better method?

streaming NPR... that's offensive... lol

I think your best bet is the previous post, but maybe someday will be able to stream radio on cell phones via satellite.

OP
B

brenj888

Reaction score
Thanks!

So I checked out moodio...looks like a terrific option! Of course the moodio site has a big warning about all the data space the streaming takes up.

I have read reams about the $30 data plan Verizon offers. My take is...I can stream all I want...as long as I don't do any tethering. I can't believe I would stream any more than you serious droid heads do!!

Dan_Droid

Reaction score
I'm not sure about NPR specifically, but you can definitely stream internet radio. I use a program called StreamFurious which let's you stream any Shoutcast radio station on your phone via 3G. There are many thousands of Shoutcast stations representing pretty much every genre of music and talk radio, and the best part is it's free.

prophetben

Reaction score
I bought Stream it All Radio v1.6.1 Application for Android | Multimedia I've been relatively happy with it. It has some npr stations preloaded. But once you install the app, if you click an mp3 radio stream in the browser it will give you the option to open it in Stream It All. Once you open a link, then it saves it in a quick open link.

Two of my favorite NPR streams are
APR Listen Live to WUAL
KRCC: http://shoutcast.krcc.org:8000/listen.pls
and WNYC which is listed in the directory.

One bad thing about Stream it all, it will sometimes randomly start playing after you've stopped it. A temporary bug? I don't know. There may be free apps out there now, but I'm happy with paying a couple bucks for it.

Last edited:

LordKastle

Reaction score
I can vouch for StreamFurious. I get to stream online radio from SOMAFM.com flawlessly.

hal1

Reaction score
Gotta love Sci-Fri.

NPR phoenix - kjzz should be an option on Moodio.

Yes, the data plan covers it. Even if it didn't (BUT IT DOES), I listen a couple hours each day and I don't know if I ever hit 1Gig

n0cturne74

Reaction score
I downloaded the free Slacker Radio app from the app store. You'll need to create an account at slacker.com but it's all free and close to cd quality when played in the car.

fatasian

Reaction score
Droid live looks great, but it seems like a shoutcast compiler.
sigh.
I will have to prod the radio station to use shoutcast.

Have A Radio, another great app, just not used by the station.
They use the mms:// format, which I have read can only be opened with WMP.
sad boosh