Liquid 3.0 Issues

Knowpig

Reaction score
You are actually not supposed to use bootstrap on liquid or other CM7/2nd-init ROMs. The reason being it causes issues that usually result in needing to SBF. To install the patch try either using ROM Manager (not ROM Toolbox) or boot into recovery and install the zip that way.
I'm sorry if I sound foolish........................but I thought I needed bootstrap. I just rooted a Droid X using the D3 one click method. Added RomManager and clockworkmod recovery. And bootstrap as well. It was the only way I could get into recovery. Epic fail-forgot to back up. Liquid runs great on my D1 but it was garbage on the X. But I continued to use bootstrap.
I did SBF it and it's all good. I re-rooted and am now backed up and good to go. But I had to install bootstrap to access the recovery menu. I know once liquid is installed I can boot into recovery via Liquid.
At what point to I get rid of bootstrap?
Or is there an alternative method to access the recovery menu? RomManager could not do it alone. It needed the bootstrap for me.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need to use bootstrap to get into recovery so you can install Liquid. Then you wipe data/cache/dalvik cache and install Liquid. Bootstrap is gone from your system after you do the data wipe, so its technically gone before you even install Liquid.

You only need bootstrap on regular ROMs. 2nd init ROMs don't need it.

Boot Manager

Knowpig

Reaction score
First I want to say thanks to jerkwad, JSM9872, and brad92. All of the information has been helpful.
Second, I am not responsible for your phone. The following is a description of a phone that was rooted and liquified to smooth goodness. Proceed at your own risk.
You are responsible for you!
I have to say, this device is extremely sensitive to, ohhh, just about everything. LOL. I made multiple attempts at a good, solid, clean install. And I'd like to give the details of what worked and what made things go wrong. It seems like all the info is out there, but it is scattered and often vague. So I'll try to be as specific as I can! I know I like detail! During the course if installing Liquid Smooth 3.0 on the DROID X three times I learned quite a bit, had some good times, had some bad times, had some SBF time. :) But in the end it was a great learning experience. Gain from my pain! When things got really shakey I had to SBF to .602, did the OTA back to .605, rerooted and here we are!

So here it goes.......................
Proceed at your own risk.

1) I started out in .605 and rooted via Peter Souza's one click D3 root tool.
2) Purchased Ti Backup Pro from the market.
3) Installed Rom Manager from the market and flashed clockworkmod recovery from inside Rom Manager.
4) Purchased DX Bootsrtap.
I think that for under $10.00, these dev's deserve to be paid for their work. Great apps.
5) At this point-make sure you have clicked "allow unknown sources" checked in "applications". You also need to make sure USB debugging is not checked!!! Make sure USB debugging is set to off!!!!!!
READ: MAKE SURE USB DEBUGGING IS SET TO OFF!!!!!.
6) I then open bootstrap, press "Bootstrap Recovery". It should ask for root permission and then say "success".
7) I then click "Reboot Recovery" and the phone should shut down and restart into clockworkmod recovery.
8) Once in the recovery menu I use the volume down button to get to "backup/restore" or it may say "nandroid", press the camera button, then scroll to "backup" and again hit the camera button. This backup will take a few minutes. Be patient.
9) After it is all done, I again press the camera button on "reboot system now". And we are back to our rooted .605 DX.
10) Next I open Titanium Backup, click check for updates in the lower left corner and update if needed. Then click the "menu" hard key then press "batch". Now here's where I go into personal over kill. I run three separate batches. Not sure that it's necessary. But I know it works! I run "backup all user apps", then "backup all system data", then I run "backup all user apps+system data". Again-IT WORKS.
11) So at this point, we are rooted, have rom manager, clockworkmod rec, bootstrap, TiBU, and a good clean stock backup in recovery. Go ahead and download liquid 3.0 from the liquid smooth website and get ready to play. Make sure you download the right file for your device!!!!!!!!
12) After the download, go back into bootstrap, click "bootstrap recovery" and then "reboot recovery".
13) Again, I go a little overboard. I have seen Liquid instructions several different ways. So in the interest of self-preservation and good mental health, I use the over-kill method. Once in recovery I do a factory reset, I then go into the partition menu and format "boot" and then format "system". I then go back a screen and wipe cache. Then into "advanced" and wipe dalvik cache. And I do all of that 2 to 3 times. Just for maximum over-kill. Again-perhaps not needed, but the final result was very solid.
14) Now still in recovery-go to install zip from sd card. Navigate down to the download folder, click in there, and you should see your liquid zip. Hit that camera button and in she goes.
15) Patiently wait. Have an ice cream. Relax a little.
16) After it's allllll done, go to reboot system now and let her load. It will take some time.
17) Again, here's where I stray from what I've read a bit. The following is a modified version of the official liquid instructions after install.
"2. Once you boot up, touch the Android in his naughty place to do your Google sign in.

(Knowpig add-in/edit-Now that you are on Liquid 3.0, do not reinstall bootstrap. Again- DO NOT REINSTALL BOOTSTRAP. Leave bootstrap off of your phone. Do not restore in, do not reload it, leave it out. Liquid will allow you to reboot into recivery with a long press of the power button, then reboot, then reboot to recovery. And leave USB debugging off when you reboot to recovery!!!!!! Knowpig edit.)

3. Sign in and let google download your apps, could take a min i suggest going and doing something else for a while, have a drink, go back to work before your boss sees you &%$king with your phone, do both.

5. go to Batch and select Restore all apps with data.

6. deselect all and check data only, now one by one select only the apps google just installed, for best results just the apps you need data from.

7. now make sure you have Unknown sources checked in System>Applications.

8. We recommend you do not restore any system apps or settings, Gingerbread has a habit of going crazy when this is done. It's worth it to just take the time and set everything back up. But it has been working some of the time since tibu updated for GB compatibility. I recommend another backup before you do any system apps just so you don't have to go through all that again.

9. now go into Batch and and select Restore missing apps + all system data. press Deselect all and ONLY check the items in GREEN, If you restore the stuff in red, you're restoring system data from prior ROMs, which could cause you all kinds of issues. It works ok for some simple things like email and Car home and some of Liquid settings (which has one section in green and one in red) but wont work for Talk or Accounts and sync.

(Step 9.5 is a Knowpig edit/add-on.)

9.5 click the menu button, go into TiBU preferences, go into "app processing mode" and click "auto, indirect". I had to do this because when I did the next step it would always get stuck and not finish the batch.

10. Run Restore missing apps with data. (Knowpig edit- press Deselect all and then click app only. NO DATA! Don't do it. App only, NO DATA!!!-that's a Knowpig edited add in) (these will all be missing user (non-system) apps that are in WHITE text) and go through the list to make sure you've got ONLY the items you really want to restore checked. DON'T restore Liquid Tweaks, Liquid Tweaks Helper or Spare Parts if they're on your list. Take your time going through this list, and make sure you have unchecked system apps from prior ROMs or older versions of the same ROM. In addition to the ones I've already mentioned, some examples from my list that I make sure are unchecked are things like Calendar 2.2, Android Keyboard 2.2 and Music Mod 1.8. These may differ from what's on your list, but hopefully that gives you the idea of the kinds of things you're looking for.

11. Reboot your droid"

Again-that long last section in quotes is direct from liquid. I noted add-ins and/or changes I made. I took out their step 4 because I want android and liquid to put apps where they want them. I can move them later.

back to step 18) You should be re-booted into full liquid glory!!!!!

Every single time I tried to install missing apps with data and let it do data with it, she got buggy. The above steps worked well for me and the ROM has been performing nearly flawless. The only issue I have encountered is on time launcher pro was frozen on reboot and after it did a quick force close it works fine. I am unsure if that's a liquid issue or a launcher pro issue, but it is a very minor thing and really not a huge issue. If they could fix it......great.

I hope that is not terribly redundant for the power users. My hope is that I save someone a sleepless night and/or a massive spiral to alcoholism.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's a good guide. Also wanted to point out that D2 bootstrap doesn't have issues if USB debugging is on. Just a thought.

Boot Manager

Knowpig

Reaction score
That's a good guide. Also wanted to point out that D2 bootstrap doesn't have issues if USB debugging is on. Just a thought.

Boot Manager
With this X if you try to reboot into recovery with USB debugging on, I just get a dark screen. She never loads. I do a battery pull, turn off the USB debugging, and it works. I guess every phone has a personality!

Deegge

Reaction score
I really like this rom alot but the camera fc'ing everytime made me flash something else until it's updated. The rom is smooth and fast and built perfect otherwise!

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
This ROM is great other than the obvious camera FC'ing and getting used to not having the bootstrap app on. I tried it on the D2G and was great but I felt that it was an average port. Only problem I have, besides the camera, is battery life. I noticed that something called media server drains the poop out of my battery. In a span of three hours and not touching it whatsoever my phone dropped from fully charged to 40 percent. That was surprising. Anyone know why media server drains my battery more than normal? Or of any fixes? I was thinking of wiping again but i hate restoring apps. On the D2G it was fine and was one of the things that uses the least battery.

Deegge

Reaction score
This ROM is great other than the obvious camera FC'ing and getting used to not having the bootstrap app on. I tried it on the D2G and was great but I felt that it was an average port. Only problem I have, besides the camera, is battery life. I noticed that something called media server drains the poop out of my battery. In a span of three hours and not touching it whatsoever my phone dropped from fully charged to 40 percent. That was surprising. Anyone know why media server drains my battery more than normal? Or of any fixes? I was thinking of wiping again but i hate restoring apps. On the D2G it was fine and was one of the things that uses the least battery.

To fix the battery drain - make sure to charge your phone 100%, then go to Liquid Settings->Goodies->Scripts and run Battery Stats. Let us know if it helps.

slipvayne9278

Reaction score
i have used alot of other roms, i like this one the best, but as others stated the potential dealbreaker is the camera FC all the time, please address this, once that is taken care of this could possibly be my favorite rom of all time thanks

r1nstang

Reaction score
To fix the battery drain - make sure to charge your phone 100%, then go to Liquid Settings->Goodies->Scripts and run Battery Stats. Let us know if it helps.

battery drain is horrible. I charged to 100% then did as you said and ran battery stats...not 20 minutes later of idle the phone is at 90%.
I used a battery calibrator app yesterday...charged it to 100% calibrated and drained it to 0% then plugged it back in. I took it off my charger at 4am went to work...phone sat in my car doing nothing. got out to my car at 7am and it was down to 60%!!!!
I love the theme and the battery icon bar is awesome along with other things...but im gonna have to flash something else

Deegge

Reaction score
battery drain is horrible. I charged to 100% then did as you said and ran battery stats...not 20 minutes later of idle the phone is at 90%.
I used a battery calibrator app yesterday...charged it to 100% calibrated and drained it to 0% then plugged it back in. I took it off my charger at 4am went to work...phone sat in my car doing nothing. got out to my car at 7am and it was down to 60%!!!!
I love the theme and the battery icon bar is awesome along with other things...but im gonna have to flash something else

Liquid 3.1 Rom was released yesterday - try that. So far battery is great and camera is fixed.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liquid/180454-liquid-smooth-roms-3-1-multiple-devices.html

r1nstang

Reaction score
Liquid 3.1 Rom was released yesterday - try that. So far battery is great and camera is fixed.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liquid/180454-liquid-smooth-roms-3-1-multiple-devices.html

I considered it until I seen that the alarm function doesnt work. I gotta wake up at 3am for work. need my alarm haha. is it just the stock clock/alarm that doesnt work? or ALL alarm apps?

OP
J

jerkwad

Reaction score
I considered it until I seen that the alarm function doesnt work. I gotta wake up at 3am for work. need my alarm haha. is it just the stock clock/alarm that doesnt work? or ALL alarm apps?

I've tried it and so far all the magic happens as it should. NO more weird stuff/camera freeze/etc
To address the alarm clock - one of three options. Use a dedicated alarm clock, make your girlfriend wake you up (i won't say how lol) or buy one that doesn't suck (Gentle Alarm is excellent!) or replace it with the alarm clock from CM7 or from Liquid 3.0 - Just rip it outta the 3.0 zip file or I can do it and attach it to this post later tonight when I get home from work. I want the stock one to function properly too, even if i won't use it. I've read that this fix works but I will verify tonight.

here ya go: View attachment 42063

Last edited:

Deegge

Reaction score
I've tried it and so far all the magic happens as it should. NO more weird stuff/camera freeze/etc
To address the alarm clock - one of three options. Use a dedicated alarm clock, make your girlfriend wake you up (i won't say how lol) or buy one that doesn't suck (Gentle Alarm is excellent!) or replace it with the alarm clock from CM7 or from Liquid 3.0 - Just rip it outta the 3.0 zip file or I can do it and attach it to this post later tonight when I get home from work. I want the stock one to function properly too, even if i won't use it. I've read that this fix works but I will verify tonight.

Some have used one from the Market and said it worked.