Link2SD question before updating to 1.8.5

TengokuDROID

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to update my MIUI rom to the new 1.8.5 update, but I have a question about my Link2SD Partition. If I install the 1.8.5 update, will this render my ext4 partition unusable? I don't want to have to rewipe my ext4 and lose all my apps and their data.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
I guess if you didn't wipe data and sdext, but I don't like installing dirty, always believed in a good healthy wipe.
It takes so little time to move the apps to the partition since you can either choose to have link2sd auto move upon install, as well as, the ability to just batch using multi select.
It wasn't as easy when those weren't part of the app, but now it takes barely any additional time.

You just never know what could be on your data partition now that won't gel with the latest version.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

tompdillon

Reaction score
I had success with the following:

1. Full backup (just in case)
2. Wipe cache
3. Flash new 1.8.5 rom
4. Install link2sd from market
5. Run link2sd
6. Reboot

All apps and data were there.

Had to delete and re-add Widgets.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
I had success with the following:

1. Full backup (just in case)
2. Wipe cache
3. Flash new 1.8.5 rom
4. Install link2sd from market
5. Run link2sd
6. Reboot

All apps and data were there.

Had to delete and re-add Widgets.

I am confused on one item, why did you need to download link2sd if you only wiped cache? Or is every user app you have, moved over to the ext partition?
Would love to know as this is great information.
Thanks for including us with your newly gained knowledge thatcha can't get in college.

Quick question, what kernel do you use and what scripts do you use to get link2sd set up initially the first time?

Thanks for any additional information

DWB

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

kamisan

Reaction score
If u had link2sd moved it wont see itself... personally I leave links2sd msg app and any 'i want it fast' app on main partition. The reinstall if its already there is redundant. The app detects if the startup script is there or not and should prompt for it if not there.

tompdillon

Reaction score
I probably had link2sd linked too.

I am just using the kernel included with miui.

The first time you run link2sd, it sets up the scripts for you. That is why the reboot. Then the extra partition is mounted after reboot.

cowsquad

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to update my MIUI rom to the new 1.8.5 update, but I have a question about my Link2SD Partition. If I install the 1.8.5 update, will this render my ext4 partition unusable? I don't want to have to rewipe my ext4 and lose all my apps and their data.

How do you partition your SD card in the first place?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mjh68

Reaction score

How do you partition your SD card in the first place?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

There is a good write up on xda developers , just search the forum there for partitioning sd card. Essentially , you download a partition manager which I used the free version of minitool partition manager. Then either use a card reader or in recovery enable usb mass storage.

Start program and you should see all the drives on your computer plus the drive letter for your phone sd card. Make sure you have already backed up your SD card because you will lose data .

Once you see your drive in the program , select it and using the buttons in the program interface you delete partition. Now you should have the drive show up as the size of your sd card unallocated. Then select create partition and make first partition fat 32 primary and make it so it uses approximately 90% of card size. It will show you what changes it will make then select approve to actually make the changes.

Now, for the second partition select the amount of unallocated space left, should be about 10% . Create partition making this one either ext2, or ext3, or supposedly you can even keep it fat32 as well. Make sure it is also primary and then approve.. Once that is finished you are all done, before you unmount close the partition manager program then open the drive from your computer .. and drag and drop your backed up files .

Now you should be able to go to the marketplace and download link2sd and run the program.