Link2SD - missing apps after reboot

sixwordslong

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M)
Twitter
@sixwordslong
I was running into the 'insufficient storage' errors on my S4, so after doing some research I decided to try Link2SD to move my apps and app data to a secondary partition on my external SD card.

I was able to create a 10 GB ext4 partition and then used Link2SD to select as many apps as it would and then did a Create Link - application file, dalvik-cache file, library files and internal data. It went through the list successfully, and I rebooted after it was done.

After the reboot, all the apps that I had moved over to my SD card no longer show up in the Launcher or the App Drawer. If I open Link2SD and look at Storage Info, I do see my "SD Card 2nd Part" mounted at /data/sdext2, and it's about half full. If I look in /data/sdext2, I do see all the .apk files for all the apps that got moved, and /data/sdext2/data has a ton of subfolders for all the apps as well (I'm assuming that's where the 'internal data' got moved to)?

I've read all the threads that say to do a Quick Reboot after the full reboot, but that hasn't helped me... all my apps stay gone. Doing a 'Recreate Mount Scripts' says that they're created successfully, but no change after a reboot. If I try to 'Relink all application files', it tells me that it found no files to link.

Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M
CyanogenMod 11-20140708-SNAPSHOT-M8-jflte
Android 4.4.4
Link2SD Plus 3.5.1

Can anyone lend a hand?

Greg

P.S. I've also posted over at AndroidForums but no replies yet :(

OP
sixwordslong

sixwordslong

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@sixwordslong
Thanks leeshor! I've gotten lots of great advice from the threads here but haven't needed to actually create an account until now.

Yes, the card is 64 GB. Will that cause problems with the mounting script?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the S4s are prone to not like 64GB cards, at all, unless it was a really old card. (it was a guess on my part that you had one due to problems others have had). Once the S4 has not seen the card properly it may be trashed beyond recovering.

Reactions: cr6
OP
sixwordslong

sixwordslong

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@sixwordslong
Erg, that is definitely not an answer I was hoping for. So you're thinking that even though the phone is mounting the partition properly at /data/sdext2 and I can see all the files, the actual data might be hosed? Blech.

I've been doing some poking around in adb with installer packages. I downloaded the .apk for IMDB as a tester package and saved it on internal storage (/sdcard/Download/com.imdb.mobile.apk). I tried doing a "pm install /sdcard/Download/com.imdb.mobile.apk" and got "Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INTERNAL_ERROR]". Then I did a "pm uninstall com.imdb.mobile" which was successful and I saw that /data/sdext2/com.imdb.mobile-2.apk was gone, so it does seem to know that the app was there. Then I tried "pm install /sdcard/Download/com.imdb.mobile.apk" again and it was successful this time.

Complicating all of this is that one of the missing apps is the Google Play Store which I didn't notice was included in the list of apps to link with Link2SD. I think its app package is com.android.vending? I've tried removing that one but I just get a generic 'Failure' message.

I'm getting the feeling that a factory reset might be in my near future....

OP
sixwordslong

sixwordslong

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@sixwordslong
Hey leeshor,

Thanks for all your advice so far! I ended up re-loading my CM ROM so that now at least I have Google Play Services and the Play Store working again... it was getting too frustrating trying to run without them and being unable to reinstall them. The ROM reload was successful and now at least I have Play Services/Store working again!

I'll run my card through the utility you posted when I get home today and see how it turns out. Maybe I'll eventually try Link2SD again, but I'll be more careful with testing this time around and maybe pick up a 32 GB SD card instead!

Kynztechy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
MICROMAX CANVAS JUICE 2 AQ5001
Hello , I am new here so basically my problem is similar to @sixwordslong I have change the sdcard(before 16 gb) to 32 gb and I've created a partition of 4 FB with fat32 to both partition since I'm running stock ROM,after successful mount I linked some of the apps but after reboot they all disappeared and tried quick reboot from the app also no luck. If I check to /data/ext2 I can see all those apps . Can anyone help me please.

Phone model : MICROMAX CANVAS JUICE 2 AQ5001 running lollipop 5.0 with stock ROM.