Liberty and exchange server

ctslaton

Reaction score
Will liberty have the hooks to let me connect to exchange server? I get an error when running gummyjar that my phone does not support the security requirements when I try to connect. So far Apex and Ultimate droid are the only custom ROMS I have found that let me connect. I know Apex uses some blur, but I do not think Ultimate Droid uses blur (don't know for sure) so hoping something can be built into Liberty.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try updating the email app. Unless gummyjar specifically removed certain code from the OS that are causing the security requirements should be part of the app/client. Possible it used an older app (a lot of Devs don't update the corp email app since they don't use it). Could also try a 3rd party app like TouchDown if you like the ROM but the exchange is a hangup.

OP
C

ctslaton

Reaction score
Thanks, always good to see a fresh perspective. Did not occur to me to try that avenue. Note the error occurs when going through settings-Accounts and trying to set up an exchange account. Not real clear on how the apps tie to the accounts I can set up under settings.

I did just check the market and e-mail is not listed as one of my installed apps so not sure how to update. (E-mail is on my phone under setting-applications).

Touchdown seems expensive at 20$. Anyone use other apps on the market that have exchange server integration with success? Anyone using it with GummyJar?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some people like K-9 mail but it doesn't meet a lot of the option exchange security protocols so it may work may not (will not connect to mine). It is expensive but there is a 30day free trial so at the very least it allows you to see if the problem is the app or the ROM. It's worth the $20 for me because it adds back most of the functionality that the default client doesn't have (or didn't when I first got the phone, might have changed in later released). The app isn't on the market, check around the forums and find the latest .apk (I would post it here but it's not on my phone).

colchiro

Reaction score
Exchange 2007 works for me with Gummy, but for some reason it thinks I should enter a 9 char strong password (upper/lower case, numbers, special chars) every time I wake my X. After about the 4th time in a 15 minute period, I created a backup and went back to another rom. No other rom required the extra security for my corp email.

I'm ready to try Liberty.

OP
C

ctslaton

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. I will update you after I try Liberty. Note K9 did not work for me on Gummy and I have a 10 character password. Note my exchange server is set up for remote wipe and PIN number requirements.

OP
C

ctslaton

Reaction score
Ok, exchange sync still does not work with native e-mail app. Touchdown does work fine. Any thoughts on which blur app I need to load to get native access without going to Touchdown? Touchdown seems fine, just expensive.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's expensive (well, one time $20 isn't really expensive considering the phone). But it's well worth it. The corp-email app of Android SUCKS... Touchdown adds back about 90% of the functionality lost. About the only thing it won't do is group emails (and they are working on that). The default app doesn't even let you use folders correctly (or didn't, maybe they've updated it). But the Calendar and task features of Touchdown are also far above the pos default client (and yes, the security, w/the default app you have to enter you PIN EVERY TIME you unlock your phone, was VERY annoying).

colchiro

Reaction score
You guys do realize Liberty is available now, right?

If Exchange is not fixed, I won't be donating or using it. I need work email on my phone.

jvward

Reaction score
I dont know what version of exchange you guys are on but I have had no problems being on a exchange 2003 environment last week with GummyJar and we actually upgraded myself and most of IT to exchange 2010 yesterday and I am still having zero issues with GummyJar yesterday afternoon and now liberty today :?

OP
C

ctslaton

Reaction score
I was not clear, but my post above was for Liberty when I indicated I could not get the email to work. It sounds like I may be the only one with problems getting corporate sync to work with either gummyjar or Liberty, so it could very well be user error rather than the ROM. I think my company uses Exchange 2007. Since the error message indicates it is an issue with support of security functions, I expect our IT department may be requiring more security features on exchange than other folks may be requiring. But that is just a guess at this point. Just curious that it works with APEX, but not these ROMS. Is there anyone but me having an issue with corporate sync using Liberty or Gummy Jar stock e-mail apps?

FYI, touchdown does have nice extended functionality over stock apps, I just do not need the extra functionality.

Thanks in advance.

r1ckums

Reaction score
I was not clear, but my post above was for Liberty when I indicated I could not get the email to work. It sounds like I may be the only one with problems getting corporate sync to work with either gummyjar or Liberty, so it could very well be user error rather than the ROM. I think my company uses Exchange 2007. Since the error message indicates it is an issue with support of security functions, I expect our IT department may be requiring more security features on exchange than other folks may be requiring. But that is just a guess at this point. Just curious that it works with APEX, but not these ROMS. Is there anyone but me having an issue with corporate sync using Liberty or Gummy Jar stock e-mail apps?

I think there is something built into Blur that pleases certain security settings on exchange 2007. 1 of my accounts will not work with liberty, gummy, etc. Works perfect on anything with Blur.

notoriouslyKEN

Reaction score
I run an Exchange 2010 server at work. I haven't been able to sync with Liberty. When adding the account, I get a "Setup could not finish. Unable to open connection to server". I've tried with and with out SSL. If I set it to automatically accept all security certificates, I still get the same error. I might try taking the email.apk from Apex 1.3.1, I know it was working there.

TriadX1

Reaction score
I used Exchange 2007 for a few months on the Stock Droid X Blur email client with no problems. When I went to Gummy Jar 2.5 & now Liberty, I cannot connect. The account sets up with no errors, but when I hit "refresh" in the account, I get the message "Connection Error". For now I am using MailDroid. It's free but not all that great, but it does let me get my company mail...

(If the dev for MailDroid reads this post, sorry for the negativity, even though I don't like it, it is still the best I could find for free!)

OP
C

ctslaton

Reaction score
collaboration between developers?

OK, seems like I am not the only one with the issue.

It seems Apex (Fabolous) uses the right amount of blur to get the security working.

It seems UltimateDroid (The Blackdroid) found a way to do it without blur and I love his interface for the account setup. Just wish GPS and other things worked better.

Would be great if Liberty could incorporate something from one of the two above. Would greatly increase who could use Liberty.