Status
Not open for further replies.

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i still don't get this. i'm running 1.0 with the gala them installed through the toolbox. i've been running it problem-free for a month. to my knowledge i haven't changed anything in my system at all, but this script started to run automatically this afternoon. the only changes to my phone today were some updated apps through the market. so if the above quote is true, then why did my phone start acting up when no changes were made to my /system folder?

i deleted the .so file with root explorer, and that fixed the problem, but i still don't understand how it got activated in the first place.

I can garantee whatever happened was not from that script unless you removed the system files and rebooted your phone. What was the funny thing that happened today with the phone?

the same thing everyone else is complaining about.

i've had random reboots for the last few days, to the tune of about two a day, after weeks of flawless performance. then, at about 6pm eastern today my screen became unresponsive. then the browser opened and did the liberty 1.5 google thing everyone else is talking about. still no screen response. i did a battery pull and the same thing happened again after reboot. tried once more with the same result. at this point i thought it might be a corrupt sd card, so i pulled it and rebooted. after that the phone worked fine. put the card back in while the phone was on and as soon as it mounted the browser popped back up and did it's little dance. again, screen unresponsive. i assumed it was the sd card, but i did a google search and found this thread, which lead me to the fix.

again, i have made no changes to my system since i flashed this rom and the theme. all i did today was update some apps through the market. i've installed a few apps in the last few days, but all from the market.

Previous reboots before the hour or so the script was on the server was just the rom.. Kejar works on most of the base of the rom so any random reboot issues might be fixed by working with him although I never have any random reboots. It might also be your theme your running or other settings.

The reboot today and the google happened because you rebooted your phone during the hour period the script was on the server. This was my mistake and I apologize. It won't happen now and will never happen again.

Smashie

Reaction score
I was running the Gingerbread theme ever since day one of 1.5. I have no idea if that is why I was having issues, but now I plan on just keeping it just how it was made...(no theme or fonts etc).

plutonium0587

Reaction score
This personally didn't happen to me because I was fortunate to have not rebooted during the droid possession window period, but I really appreciate you explaining (for people like me who know a little about code but not enough for anything) and apologizing JRummy. Not going to say it was a smart move :p but I know now that you know that and I still support your work regardless b/c you were transparent. Thanks again.

One real question though, can the automatic downloading of things be given an option to turn off in future updates. I like the fact that it does this updating thing, but I would like to know when it is doing it and approve/reject it in case something goes wrong or so I can troubleshoot. I have the notify update box checked in liberty but obviously people weren't notified this script was downloaded ect...

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This personally didn't happen to me because I was fortunate to have not rebooted during the droid possession window period, but I really appreciate you explaining (for people like me who know a little about code but not enough for anything) and apologizing JRummy. Not going to say it was a smart move :p but I know now that you know that and I still support your work regardless b/c you were transparent. Thanks again.

One real question though, can the automatic downloading of things be given an option to turn off in future updates. I like the fact that it does this updating thing, but I would like to know when it is doing it and approve/reject it in case something goes wrong or so I can troubleshoot. I have the notify update box checked in liberty but obviously people weren't notified this script was downloaded ect...

Yes, I can add an option to turn it on or off in liberty settings.

chefb

Reaction score

Yes, I can add an option to turn it on or off in liberty settings.

So this means there's an update newer themes in the works too?

k1ng617

Reaction score
Will the removal of the .so file disallow the ability of the rom to automatically run any scripts on boot?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Liberty is known for non responsive ness its locks ur phone and wont allow u to turn it on most of the time when it does it ur phone reboots I say try new apex 1.4 or UD 3.0.0 way more responsive and NO LAG! also battery life is just amazing on both

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Huh? Off topic and weak statement.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX\\

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Liberty is known for non responsive ness its locks ur phone and wont allow u to turn it on most of the time when it does it ur phone reboots I say try new apex 1.4 or UD 3.0.0 way more responsive and NO LAG! also battery life is just amazing on both

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Huh? Off topic and weak statement.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX\\

Exactly, that's unfounded information. I have not had one major issue with liberty or gummyjar (its base) since gj 1.8

tappin and a talkin

cwininger

Reaction score
I can garantee whatever happened was not from that script unless you removed the system files and rebooted your phone. What was the funny thing that happened today with the phone?

the same thing everyone else is complaining about.

i've had random reboots for the last few days, to the tune of about two a day, after weeks of flawless performance. then, at about 6pm eastern today my screen became unresponsive. then the browser opened and did the liberty 1.5 google thing everyone else is talking about. still no screen response. i did a battery pull and the same thing happened again after reboot. tried once more with the same result. at this point i thought it might be a corrupt sd card, so i pulled it and rebooted. after that the phone worked fine. put the card back in while the phone was on and as soon as it mounted the browser popped back up and did it's little dance. again, screen unresponsive. i assumed it was the sd card, but i did a google search and found this thread, which lead me to the fix.

again, i have made no changes to my system since i flashed this rom and the theme. all i did today was update some apps through the market. i've installed a few apps in the last few days, but all from the market.

Previous reboots before the hour or so the script was on the server was just the rom.. Kejar works on most of the base of the rom so any random reboot issues might be fixed by working with him although I never have any random reboots. It might also be your theme your running or other settings.

The reboot today and the google happened because you rebooted your phone during the hour period the script was on the server. This was my mistake and I apologize. It won't happen now and will never happen again.

ahhh... this explains it. thanks for the clarification. all is well. great rom- btw. been flashing since sholes on the og droid and i was just thinking the other day that this is the best rom i've ever used.

dwray

Reaction score
I've told pretty much everyone I know with a Droid X/2 to check out the Liberty ROM if only for jrummy and kejar's dedication to their project and responsiveness to any questions. The fact that you cleared this whole thing up within a day and admitted to a brain fart like that simply reaffirms my recommendations. Keep up the good work guys.

jbrock98

Reaction score
Dang I was just about to root my DX again & opened up tapatalk 2 see this...weird & wow is all I gotta say, been using jrummy's work since his OGdroid days & will continue too

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Caveman419

Reaction score
Just glad that Jrummy stepped up and apologized for his mistake. He has never done anything in the past (all the way back to the original Droid) that has been anywhere close to malicious. I will continue to support his apps and ROMs in the future.

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am closing this thread but just wanted to recap what happened below. If anyone has any further questions you can pm me or email me.

On 2-15-2011 I was talking to a friend showing him scripting in Liberty ROM. We were discussing a script in /system/bin called loadpreinstalls.sh. This script can be found here: http://pastebin.com/bwXKX3KE

loadpreinstalls.sh installs any apps in /data/liberty/app, restores any apps in the restore directory (which can be setup in liberty settings), unzips animation files and sets up adb to fully work. After that it waits until there is a data connection and then downloads a file. If there is a link in the file it will download it. Then if that file is an app it will install it, if it is a script then it will either run it or install it depending on its file extension. This was created for update purposes and was in liberty 1.0 and rumm rx.

I wanted to show my friend Jake who I was talking to how it worked. I made a script and uploaded it to the server to download and run. I then got hung up with other things I had going at the moment and then had to go to my class. After class I realized from twitter messages that I forgot about the script so I came and responded here as soon as I could and removed the script.

The script I uploaded could only be run if the user rebooted while the script was on the server. I meant to tell my friend to reboot right when I uploaded the script and see it work and then I would remove it right away. The script googled liberty 1.5 awesome using another script in /system/lib called libgnakfoorp.so. I used the script in /system/lib because I tried writing the script to google the words but I honestly forgot how it was done but I knew I could google something using the script in /system/lib.
Here is the contents of the script on the server:

. /system/lib/libgnakfoorp.so
googleIt Liberty 1.5 Awesome

The first line imports functions in /system/lib/libgnakfoorp.so and then uses the googleIt function to google the words.

Now to explain more on libgnakfoorp.so:

libgnakfoorp.so was actually first written for two other developers (drod of rubix and matt of pheonix rom). They both approached me asking for help in writing a script to prevent people from stealing their work and removing credit. I wrote it for them and also put it in liberty. gnak foorp = kang proof backwards. Kang means to steal someone's work and remove credit. What this script does is check if system files were changed or removed that show who the rom was made by. This would never run on a normal users phone. Only a developer who was really tinkering with the rom would get this. It is very hard to trigger this script.

libgnakfoorp.so is actually harmless. I have run everything in it on my phone several times. It chooses a random small bug to give the person who was removing credit for the rom. It might turn up and down the volume, reboot the phone, go to the homescreen, google something or make the touch screen unresponsive until you simply reboot.

Having that file in /system/lib doesn't harm anything. I run liberty and have the file there myself. I will remove the file in the next version of liberty just because I simply don't think it is needed. If someone was to take liberty rom and claim it was their own work it would be really hard to do now.

I apologize once again to anyone who was affected. It was only meant to be shown to one person but got out of hand by my human errors. Liberty ROM can be viewed by all as well as any change made in the rom. Just check out the rom and the changeset here: https://bitbucket.org/JRummy16/liberty_rom/changesets

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.