Liberty 1.5 Dialer

MrAreCool

Reaction score
Is there a way to get the Liberty 1.5 dialer to search contacts from the numeric keypad like the stock dialer? I really miss that particular feature!

My wife has an LG Vortex that still has this functionality so I am thinking that means that feature is not unique to blur??

Reaction score
Is there a way to get the Liberty 1.5 dialer to search contacts from the numeric keypad like the stock dialer? I really miss that particular feature!

My wife has an LG Apex that still has this functionality so I am thinking that means that feature is not unique to blur??

It is not a Blur or an AOSP feature. LG may have a special dialer installed?

You might want to try Dialer One in the market. Free. Does exactly what you are talking about. I use it all the time for that very function.

mikex

Reaction score
+1 for dialer one. I'm using it now because I miss the speed dial function.

OP
M

MrAreCool

Reaction score
I am giving dialer 1 a go. I like the added functionality, it isn't nearly as sexy as the dialer in the Mysterious Beast theme and I still like the stock Droid X dialer better, but it will do. Thanks for the recommendation.

OP
M

MrAreCool

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a file that I could steal out of my wife's LG Vortex that might activate the search feature from the dial pad. This is a very basic phone and the dialer looks pretty much identical to the one that comes w/ Liberty.

The other cool thing that LG has done is added a search box in the contacts list. I know you can click the search button to search the contacts, but I really like the built in search box.

Just hoping that one might be able to look at what LG has done and duplicate it.

(You can see these by looking at the simulator on Verizon's Website. Click on the Simulator on the right and then view the "Placing a call to a new number" and "Placing a call to a contact" simulations in the "Phone Calls" section.)

Also, does anyone know of a way to add a shortcut to contact search? I use Go Launcher EX and I would like to make my contact shortcut on the dock go to the Contacts with the search box ready to go? It would save me a step...

SeanRinVA

Reaction score
whats blur and aosp?
Blur = Motorola's user interface over the Android operating system

AOSP = Android Open Source Project - where the different editions of the Android operating system are set up as Open Source so developers can modify as they see fit.

wildman1

Reaction score
Just for the record the stock 2.2.1 Blur Dialer does support the search option, there is some options of blur is missed.

OP
M

MrAreCool

Reaction score
Just for the record the stock 2.2.1 Blur Dialer does support the search option, there is some options of blur is missed.
I agree. I am currently back at Liberty and I really, really like it (especially with the Mysterious Beast theme), but to have a dialer w/out search is kind of useless to me. I very rarely enter an entire phone number, as I am usually calling someone in my contact list. I was using dialer 1 for a while, but it isn't that pretty and seemed to stop searching if you had a "." or "-" in the contacts phone number. Apparently it doesn't just look at the numbers like the stock Blur dialer does (or at least I didn't come across that setting).

I have been playing with Apex, DarkSlide, DarkSlide Blurry, and Rubix Blurry as well. The DarkSlide ROMs probably are the closest to the functionality I want (blur dialer, etc...), but there are aspects to the look that I don't like and from what I can tell it isn't "themeable" like most of the other ROMs. If I could get DarkSlide to look like Mysterious Beast, I think I would stay there.

I was also kind of hoping that someone would know a way to add the dialer enhancements that LG has on their Vortex phone (probably others as well, but this is the only one I have played with). It looks pretty much like the AOSP dialer, but will search phone numbers and names, pulls in Facebook status for contacts, and it has a built-in search box in the contacts. (See a few posts up for a link to Verizon's simulator.)