LG Comments on Why They Still Make Plastic Phones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-logo-grey-2.jpg

For some users, LG has always had a reputation for building cheap devices. Perhaps that prejudice is deserved, and perhaps not. Maybe some people base their assessment on some of LG's lower-end product line, or perhaps some prejudice is due to the history of the company. One perception of the company making cheap devices could be because LG sticks to only building plastic based devices. Even one of their most recent devices that was meant to appeal to consumers on a purely aesthetic level, the LG Prada 3.0, was primarily manufactured with an outer design that was plastic instead of metal or glass. And, while some may decry this design philosophy, and cite it as the main reason they consider their phones to be "cheap", LG has recently come forward defending it as actual evidence of their commitment to quality over style.

LG makes the very valid argument that the reason they still use plastic in all of their phones instead of more stylish and "high-end" materials, is because they want to make sure their devices do not have any signal strength issues. From their research, most of the signal strength problems have all been because manufacturers use too much metal and glass in their designs that can obstruct good strong antenna signal strength. According to LG, this ensures improved reception reliability, and improved call quality.

PhoneArena actually took the time to peruse through all of their past reviews of LG phones to determine if there was a correlation with LG's statements by seeing if LG's phones tended to have better call quality and signal reception than the competition. In nearly all instances, LG's phones were rated fairly high for these respective strengths. They further took the trouble to compare these results to their HTC reviews, since HTC typically uses a lot of metal in their devices, and sure enough, their phones typically had worse call quality and reception.

One other interesting side benefit of using phones with plastic materials is that the phone's radios don't have to work as hard. This, in turn, keeps the radiation lower and can make their batteries last a bit longer, too. It's an interesting notion to think that LG may have the right idea when it comes to the most important part of using our phones... their ability to connect and stay connected reliably.

What do you think? Is LG "on to something" or just "on something"? Share your perspective on LG devices...

Source: PhoneArena

Last edited:

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I have not personally seen phones have TRULY bad reception in about 6 years. (Remember when phones didn't have bad reception room to room or building to building? It was neighborhood to neighborhood or city to city.) I think that there is truth to their claim but that modern devices and infrastructures are so superior that the point is moot. I like a healthy mix of style and function.

Tl;dr: Stuff is better now so a slight drop in reception doesn't matter. Especially when it looks cool.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
What they should try is using ABS molded/textured plastic similar to what is used in hand guns; it's still plastic but it gives the user the look and feel of durability and quality. Plus I'm not sure if that soft-rubber coating some manufactures use affects the radio signals but it helps with keeping a grip on the devices as well as making it look and feel of better quality.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everytime I've picked up an LG handset it feels either like a display version of a real phone, or a toy. I don't care if the call quality sounds like a dolby digital theater, if it feels like a cheap piece of crap in the hand then it is going to be shunned.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
One possible solution to the "cheap" feeling is making the phone heavier. My Thunderbolt is mainly plastic, apart from the kickstand, but is hefty enough that it feels like an expensive device. If the Thunderbolt wasn't as heavy as it was, it too would feel like a cheap piece of crap.

Gleason81

Reaction score
Plastic phones

Regarding the article about why LG still uses plastic only to make phones. They say that it is to avoid signal strength issues. Then, why do Samsung phones usually get weaker signals than Motorola phones (who typically use metal and glass)?

npro1464

Reaction score
Anyone with a Nexus shouldnt talk. If there's one thing Samsung does, it's build "plasticy" phones.

That being said, I think they shot themselves in the foot when they released the Revolution and forced users to use Bing search. A lot of people I know who were fooled into buying Ally's hated them and defected to an IPhone. Also, I'll never forgive them for having to suffer through that awful LG enV touch. That was the last time Ill ever buy an LG phone and that's the last time I'll ever listen to what a VZW rep has to say. What a pos.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
where did you see someone with nexus talking? and gleason is right, nexus(plastic) has worse signal then razr(metal).

i'd call lg strategy bs as they're more likely trying to cut down on the cost.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Before I had my OG Droid I had an LG Voyager. I preferred the physical keyboard on it to the Droid's. Didn't have any problems during the 2 years I had it.

The phone signal wasn't as good as my earlier Moto E815, but I put that down to going from a clamshell to a candy bar phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums