LG Ally Rooted!

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
This device has been flying low on the radar since it’s release in May, but [FONT=&quot]developers[/FONT] have been hard at work trying to acheive root on this device. Thanks to some dedicated developers over at AndroidForums, they made this happen. Unfortunately, the method is done only through Linuxso far.
LINUX​
Mount SD Card​

(at this point your $ prompt should be a # meaning you are root, if not, type exit and then begin over, when you open the new ./adb shell you will be # root)
When you get # shell, UNMOUNT the sdcard!!!!! This will make the correct link available. Then continue on.

• mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
  • cat /sdcard/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
  • cat /sdcard/su > /system/bin/su
Head HERE for more information.
Source: AndroidForums

The LG Ally Gets Rooted! AndroidSPIN

Last edited:
OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
rather easy method eh?

JimWest

Reaction score
Nice find

Just got my wife the Ally, yesterday. This is a great find, today. Thanx

elite0083

Reaction score
error messages

when I am trying this process i get through the first two stages and then I get this message
redcomshell@redcomshell-laptop:~$ ./adb push asroot2 /data/local/
bash: ./adb: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong?

thank you,

The Elite

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
when I am trying this process i get through the first two stages and then I get this message
redcomshell@redcomshell-laptop:~$ ./adb push asroot2 /data/local/
bash: ./adb: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong?

thank you,

The Elite

Did the wget obtain the 2 files for you? It sounds like the first file might not have ended up in your local directory.

Do we have a bunch of Ally rooted folks here? I might be getting one of these for my mother in law.

droidr2

Reaction score
I've had the motorola droid for a while now. I have rooted, installed custom roms over and over. I just got my wife the LG Ally. I just rooted it.

Are there any custom roms for the LG Ally yet? Would I be able to install one of the roms I have on my droid? The architechure seems to be very similiar and they both run Android OS, thats why I am asking.

jcwilliams

Reaction score
I have read and tried this on my fiances ally and it keeps telling me access denied or whatever it says. What might I be doing wrong? Do I have to hook the phone up to the compter and then go into terminal? And are these phone able to have 2.2 put on them bc she has 2.1 now and the space is limited and apps to sd card would be great on this phone.

moto droid
bb.4
rooted 2.2
ULV 1.2 kernal

gem266

Reaction score
The most recent update killed my root and the previous method did not work to get it rooted again. I did some digging and found the easiest way to root my Ally. All I had to do was install an app and run it. Universal Androot is an app that will let you root and un-root your phone at will. I used version 1.6.1 and it worked beautifully on my Ally.

Go here and download the apk to your SD card:
[APP] [ROOT] 1-click root for N1 (Latest ver: 1.6.2 beta 5) - xda-developers

Go to Settings/Applications and select Unknown sources so you can install from your SD card.

Use a file manager like Astro or ES File Explorer to run the install package.

Run Universal Androot and tap the "Root :)" button and done!

Hope everyone finds it as useful as I did. Enjoy!!!

Bilgediver

Reaction score
The most recent update killed my root and the previous method did not work to get it rooted again. I did some digging and found the easiest way to root my Ally. All I had to do was install an app and run it. Universal Androot is an app that will let you root and un-root your phone at will. I used version 1.6.1 and it worked beautifully on my Ally.

Go here and download the apk to your SD card:
[APP] [ROOT] 1-click root for N1 (Latest ver: 1.6.2 beta 5) - xda-developers

Go to Settings/Applications and select Unknown sources so you can install from your SD card.

Use a file manager like Astro or ES File Explorer to run the install package.

Run Universal Androot and tap the "Root :)" button and done!

Hope everyone finds it as useful as I did. Enjoy!!!

+1 to that. I used UniversalAndroot.apk on my gf's phone (an LG Ally, I have the Droid and it worked on my droid up until the FRG22D update). I have her happy running Barnacle Wifi Tether (which DOES work with Android 2.1!)