Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, I guess we're seeing the effects of lenovo purchasing Motorola.

They will be phasing out the Motorola name and instead selling Moto devices as top tier products and the Vibe line as budget-friendly devices.

RIP Motorola.

Source: Lenovo Will Retire The Motorola Brand In Favor Of Just 'Moto'

Sent from my Nexus 6P

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow, but we all knew this day was coming. We kind of hoped that maybe it would squeak by us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
:(:(:(

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I mean, I guess it's good that they're keeping "Moto" at least. I only skimmed the article I linked in the OP, but another that I actually read said Moto is still going to be in charge of all phones. Theirs & lenovo's.

I also saw something that doesn't vices like the Moto X are said to have the blue lenovo logo, but also still have the Moto M...

Sent from my Nexus 6P

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I mean, I guess it's good that they're keeping "Moto" at least.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
It's sad but yes, I'm also glad they're keeping "Moto" Can you imagine Lenovo Droid ____ phone?

I hope they keep the DROID line alive.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's sad but yes, I'm also glad they're keeping "Moto" Can you imagine Lenovo Droid ____ phone?

I feel like that deal is plenty lucrative for them even though there are less people who mistake Android phones for droids these days.

If nothing else, they get Verizon to pay for all of the advertising.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Actually, I expected it a lot sooner.. I do feel that Lenovo is making a big mistake as Motorola has always been synonymous with quality and that is something that is earned.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Actually, I expected it a lot sooner.. I do feel that Lenovo is making a big mistake as Motorola has always been synonymous with quality and that is something that is earned.
Which is why I see them hanging on to "Moto" as a good idea.

I mean, we here on the forum call them Moto more often than Motorola. Then there are their products that are already marketed as Moto X, Moto 360, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of us remember Motorola being synonymous with quality televisions, stereos, walkie talkies and other pre cell phone age electronic devices. At the same time when they first got heavy into mobile phones their radio reception was known as great to go with innovations such as the first flip phone that was a major hit with customers . The Razr phone ads were the first mass marketing of the Moto name with the the "hello Moto" series of ads to go with that phone.
When I think mobile phone I think Moto. When I think other forms of communication, such as police radios , walkie talkies and such, I still think Motorola and probably always will.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think Nokia when I think old mobile phones. Those are all I bought for quite a while when I first started carrying a phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Reactions: cr6

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola-milestone-wikipedia.jpg

No disrespect meant to Paul Walker, who this song was dedicated to (RIP Paul Walker).

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Nokia when I think old mobile phones. Those are all I bought for quite a while when I first started carrying a phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
My first mobile phone, a morph between a bag phone and cordless, was a Nokia 100 but my first truly cordless mobile phone was a Motorola that was not the first model but it's black colored, slimmed down follow up. It only weighed about a pound, had a retractable antenna and got a whopping 30 minutes of talk time between charges. I could use my entire monthly minute allowance on 1 battery charge! Then the Microtac followed by Startac that both changed the game totally again in each case. Wasn't it Motorola that came out with the first color screen as well? My first color phone was an LG that came out just behind the Motorola version but had triple the battery life and an external screen on the flip. I truly no longer needed , or used,a watch from that day forward until my smartwatch.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Haha! My first cell phone was an Audiovox "candy bar" with retractable antenna & a green & black screen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

I think they are contracted to make the Droid phone for a few more years. I think.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Same here, I loved my Nokia candybars. Super sturdy, super reliable & lasted forever.

S5 tap'n