Lenovo Might Kill Off the Moto X Line This Year [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
rip-gravestone.jpg

Here's a rumor that we hope stays in that category permanently. According to the latest intel, Lenovo is considering eliminating the Moto X branding, and may even phase out the Motorola branding completely starting this year. It's even possible that the Moto X for 2016 will not even be called the Moto X.

The rumor comes from @evleaks as he shares, “Goodbye, Moto X. Details tomorrow.” We are both anxious and trepidatious to learn these "details." Earlier rumors this year suggested that Lenovo would be retiring the Moto branding in favor of the "Moto by Lenovo" brand. This came along with official reports that 20% of the Motorola workforce was laid off and 3 Chicago offices were closed. To top it off, Motorola's lead, Rick Osterloh, has left the company to work for Google.

Are we witnessing the final death throes of the once great telecomm tech leader? Even if Motorola lives on in some form, it looks like it will be in name only.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I hope it stays a rumor as well, at the very least with the "Motorola" moniker. Don't want to see the Moto X line go either as that's been a pretty solid model for them, but they do have a good handful of other devices to fill their inventory.

Motorola has definitely been a pretty solid name as far as phones go (as well as other comm devices) so it would be a detriment to throw them aside.

How much longer is Motorola contracted for to produce devices for VZW's "Droid" lineup?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's a good question...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Man. I know I'm know business expert, but it really seems like Lenovo has no clue what to do with Moto. That's sad. I thought their initial plan was to have Moto lead the charge on even Lenovo branded devices overseas and continue using the Moto name here in the states.

Announcing 3 different variants of the Moto G today was bad enough. I really don't see that going far. There's a reason that device makers have scaled things like that back. Now this rumor. Dumb, IMO.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree. They should have 1 Moto G, 1 Moto X, and 1 Moto XYZABC. This is rediculous. They are confusing the product line and it will lead to lunacy. Make 1 great device and give it an even better price and be done with it.