Launcher Pro --- Keep In Memory?

PaulQ

Reaction score
What does the "keep in memory" on the General menu do? It says it might make your device unstable.

Thanks!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
What does the "keep in memory" on the General menu do? It says it might make your device unstable.

Thanks!

it's supposed to prevent the android task management from killing your launcher as you use other applications; in other words prevent redraws or slow loading when you press the home button.

rickt1152

Reaction score

Thanks!

I is an option designed to prevent or reduce Home Screen Redraw lag. The lag occurs when the launcher is closed by the OS and has to restart when you try to return to Home. The keep in memory option as well as a couple of scripts floating around the forums adjust a setting which establishes a higher priority of the launcher program with regard to the memory management and reduces the frequency that the OS will close it. This doesn't always work, but in my experience significantly reduces the occasions where the launcher has to restart, which will take 10 - 20 seconds for the icons to all reappear.

As far a stability goes, I don't think most people are having issues with this, but every device is different.

OP
P

PaulQ

Reaction score
Thanks. I turned it on but I can't say it eliminates redraws - I've seen a couple slow redraws already. Maybe it reduces them. I'll have to give it some time.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I turned it on but I can't say it eliminates redraws - I've seen a couple slow redraws already. Maybe it reduces them. I'll have to give it some time.

if you're rooted the best way to eliminate redraws is to edit your local.prop. I get zero redraws...

go to /data/local.prop (if it's not there, create it)

and put in the line

ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1, and save