Latest Swype Beta for Droid Problem

hypura

Reaction score
I keep getting "Swype is already installed" when I have uninstalled both already :/

edit: its installed, but there is no language selection, so I can't swype :s I can type normally with it however.

edit: attempted clearing caches on the applications before uninstalling both, set skyfire/browsers to android, not desktop, rebooted, still no dice.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I was able to successfully install and use the new version as well.

hypura - Are you saying that in the Swype Settings under Language that there are no options or that none of them are automatically selected? Will it let you select one? I have not seen that before, but I have had Swype problems before. I usually open Handcent (or any text program), long press on the Text field and select the stock keyboard. I then close Handcent, re-open, and select Swype this time. That has fixed Swype problems for me in the past.

Derekweb

Reaction score
After second 2.2 ota, swype has often frozen. I have reinstalled many times to get it to work for a day or two. Before second 2.2, one reinstall would do it. Also, did not get the email, but had to reinstall when it froze again yesterday. To reinstall I had to clean all old APKs for the installer. Anyway, worked one day and froze again this morning. I hope this uddate works with latest 2.2 (stock)

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Got mine yesterday and it went smooth...All is fine in Swypeville here....

cwc5293

Reaction score
I was so excited when I saw the want and wasn't fix, but of course I run into the "swype isn't installed for this package... limited functionality..," all that crap... Running BB 0.4.

hypura

Reaction score
I was able to successfully install and use the new version as well.

hypura - Are you saying that in the Swype Settings under Language that there are no options or that none of them are automatically selected? Will it let you select one? I have not seen that before, but I have had Swype problems before. I usually open Handcent (or any text program), long press on the Text field and select the stock keyboard. I then close Handcent, re-open, and select Swype this time. That has fixed Swype problems for me in the past.

It had no language selected and I was unable to click the setting. In the end I just cleared cache and data, wiped the phone, and restored everything except swype. Reinstalled the swype installer and got it to work.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried again this AM. Worked perfectly!
From a post by Brian Resnik, Beta Manager, posted in the Swype Forums:
Solution!
Thanks for the help, everyone! Apparently we fat-fingered a setting in our server-side download manager. Entered the wrong resolution for the Droid! Ha! We've resolved the problem and you can all start downloading again! Let us know if you still have problems.
Posted 9/11/2010 6:47pm.

mpenda

Reaction score
If you keep getting the "already installed" popup, and then limited functionality, un-install both Swype and the installer. Re-run it again from the link. After you login, it downloads and the installer runs, you'll get the popup that has the "Done" button as the only option. DON'T PRESS DONE, but press the back arrow button on the bottom of the screen. It will continue to register the install and you'll be back in business. Some little bug in their installer.

ytwokc5

Reaction score
If you keep getting the "already installed" popup, and then limited functionality, un-install both Swype and the installer. Re-run it again from the link. After you login, it downloads and the installer runs, you'll get the popup that has the "Done" button as the only option. DON'T PRESS DONE, but press the back arrow button on the bottom of the screen. It will continue to register the install and you'll be back in business. Some little bug in their installer.

Are you referring to the back arrow soft key at the bottom of the phone? There's no back arrow on the installer.

FYI... I tried the backarrow soft key after the installer finished instead of pressing DONE and it told me swype was already installed.

Frustrating
Droid 1 BB V0.4

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The new Swype is installed. As before it took 4 times until it registered. Even then I got an FC on the Installer so I didn't get the Enable instructions. Fortunately it was there when I went to the Keyboards and I was able to enable it.

I noticed for the first time that the new Installer had about 4mb of data after the first failure. I wonder if clearing that would help.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Installed after a few tries, but get "limited functionality" and doesnt work. Ill try reinstalling from the link again and see how that goes

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Ah, got it working. Apparently that is an issue when the droid runs out of ram while installing swype. I just rebooted, took a few things out of memory and installed with no problem

Lars1

Reaction score
Ah, got it working. Apparently that is an issue when the droid runs out of ram while installing swype. I just rebooted, took a few things out of memory and installed with no problem

How did you do this? What things did you remove?

Thanks

jefbystereo

Reaction score

How did you do this? What things did you remove?

Thanks

I had "keep in memory" checked on for Launcher pro- checked that off. also removed a few widgets and killed (yes i know i know) a few apps that werent needed to free up ram for installing. there is a thread on swype forum (i closed down the window so i dont have it offhand), where they mention to free up ram before installing if you get that error