Korean Nexus VS Chinese Nexus!

draxxus118

Reaction score
I got my nexus on launch back in December and I could not have been happier with the phone. It has been an excellent companion, has done everything I have ever wanted out of a phone and more. Around a week and a half ago I started having an issue where when I would unplug the charging cable the phone still thought it was charging and in that the battery life suffered a bit, but the rest of the phone worked flawlessly. I read on the xda developer forums that some people have had issues with the usb charging port ribbon cable going bad on their phone and the fix was a 10.00 project. Seeing as how my phone was under warranty I called up Verizon and explained the problem to them and they sent me out a replacement that I got the next day. Fast forward to 3 days later after having gotten the new phone and there is a definite difference between the phones. The first one I had was made is Korea and aside from the usb problem, which at this point I wish I would have just fixed myself the phone worked flawlessly without any dropped calls or random restarts or anything. Since getting this Chinese replacement I am having signal problems with making calls and sending messages that can only be fixed by a restart. The battery life has suffered a MAJOR hit and I have the samsung extended battery that I exercised when I got it doing a full charge and then a full drain a number of times to get the best efficiency out of it and with very very light use I used to see 36 hours out of a charge and now I am lucky if I see 9 hours which is horrid.

I will be contacting Verizon again in a day or so and will be attempting to get another replacement from them because this is ridiculous. Does anyone know here if all the Nexus phones are now outsourced to being made in China? Was this just a potential bad phone out of a batch? Has anyone here used a Korean and Chinese made model and also noticed a difference in hardware quality as far as the device functioning the way it should? Any suggestions on the course of action I should take other than just getting new ones until I find one that functions like my original one? Is it possible to have them send back my old phone and replace that ribbon cable myself?

B_BODY_1

Reaction score
Back when I was with sprint I had a galaxy 2. Sorry this has nothing to do with the nexus. The first one went crazy (dropping calls, data issues, freezing and other things) in about a month. So I warranted it out. The replacement came in and it was made in china. So I looked at the first one and it was made in korea. I'm not sure if it was a refurbished or new since the phone had just came out. Anyways the Chinese one had data issue gps issues and the screen would go to a solid color every other day. I should also mention that a full reset with fresh updates did not fix these issues. Different phone but close story.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most likely has nothing to do with where the device was put together, it's probably just a refurb they didn't fix.

They have locations all over the globe(Mostly in korea and china though) so you're bound to get one from either company, but they're all the same.

vicorama

Reaction score
I too got my nexus on launch day (made in Korea) and due to an accident, that Droid got wet and I noticed a boot loop. Under warranty and through best buy insurance I received a refurb (from samsung) made in china. So far the made in china performs well, but the boot into ICS is not fluid and I noticed a hiccup while it was booting up. I don't know if I should be alarmed. Are there any viewers here on the forum that can shed some light on this? (Still in stock ICS)

OP
D

draxxus118

Reaction score
Just got my second replacement and this one happened to be made in Korea and thus far for the last hour or so it hasen't given me any issues at all. I might have just gotten a bad one out of a lot or like someone had mentioned earlier that someone didn't bother fixing properly. So heres to hoping this one stays good and doesn't give me any problems because I love this phone to death. Aside from the minor headaches of this entire situation the only thing I have to do now is wait for my new Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic screen protectors to arrive as I used one of the 2 from the first pack on the original phone and one on the first replacement before it decided to not work properly.