KitKat and Note 3 Battery

NOVICE

Reaction score
Since (involuntarily) upgrading to Verizon KitKat on my Note 3 I have noticed that recharging my battery is taking considerably longer. Previously I could obtain a full charge in less than 1 1/2 hours. Now taking twice as long.
Anyone else having the same problem?

(As an aside, there is NOTHING about KitKat that I like or appreciate.)

OP
N

NOVICE

Reaction score
Ok, I have confirmed that KitKat has has absolutely, utterly destroyed battery life on my phone. My power usage indicates that Android System uses twice the juice as my screen. Have never had this problem in 4 years of using Android.

I attempted to avoid updating to KitKat until finally my Note 3 downloaded it automatically in the middle of the night.

Any options or solutions? Will a factory reset possibly remedy the situation?

This is ridiculous. KitKat offers absolutely no advantages and now apparently is going to require that I carry a spare battery around.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'd definitely recommend a factory reset as I stated on the other thread.. My findings on KK are battery has still been good.. Radios are a little more spotty.. Maybe that is causing your issue.. Are you in good area reception wise?

Knock knock G2

pixeline

Reaction score
I totally agree! It's always a very good idea to factory reset after a mayor update - and KitKat definitely is mayor. It is a pain in the lower extremities, but it's definitely worth while :)

Swyped from the Big Guy

OP
N

NOVICE

Reaction score
I totally agree! It's always a very good idea to factory reset after a mayor update - and KitKat definitely is mayor. It is a pain in the lower extremities, but it's definitely worth while :)

I'll reset my phone on Tuesday and hope that it remedies the problem. Presently "Android System" is out of control and eating 75% of my battery.

But please, what are the advantages of KitKat. I absolutely can't see any but I'm open to changing my mind.

OP
N

NOVICE

Reaction score

Swyped from the Big Guy ?dca5

My apologies for screwing up your quote.

pixeline

Reaction score
My apologies for screwing up your quote.

Quite alright!

Android has been accused of being a little laggy from the start (opposed to iOS). And KitKat had been designed to require less muscle and thereby taking the lag out of Android.

As far as I'm concerned they've done a great job ☺.

Swyped from the Big Guy

mslaceyrose

Reaction score

I'll reset my phone on Tuesday and hope that it remedies the problem. Presently "Android System" is out of control and eating 75% of my battery.

But please, what are the advantages of KitKat. I absolutely can't see any but I'm open to changing my mind.
Here, in Google's own words are the advantages and new features of KitKat. Toward the bottom of the page, under the heading "Even More Features" tap the "Check them out" link to scroll through the whole list of changes. Android - 4.4 KitKat

btw, another vote here for always doing a factory reset after an update. Especially a major one... :)

OP
N

NOVICE

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the advantages of KitKat.

On the issue of battery life I found that the Droid Guy answered someone who had the identical problem I have, namely, after the KitKat update Android System goes crazy and destroys battery life. I followed the suggestion to wipe the cache partition. If that fails it's on to a factory reset.

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the advantages of KitKat.

On the issue of battery life I found that the Droid Guy answered someone who had the identical problem I have, namely, after the KitKat update Android System goes crazy and destroys battery life. I followed the suggestion to wipe the cache partition. If that fails it's on to a factory reset.
You're welcome. Let us know how wiping cache works out for you. Good luck! :)

Danvee

Reaction score
Google Search to the rescue...

Wipe cache partition
If the device is not working correctly, you may need to clear the cache partition. (wiping the cache partition does not delete your personal data.)
To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:
Turn off the device.
Press and hold the following three buttons at the same time:

Volume Up key
Home key
Power key

When 'GALAXY Note 3' appears on the screen, let go of the Power key but continue to press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key.
When the Android System Recovery screen appears, release the Volume Up and Home keys.
Press the Volume Down key to highlight 'wipe cache partition.'
Press the Power key to select and wipe the cache.
With 'reboot system now' highlighted, press the Power key to restart the device.

cece5702

Reaction score
Has a factory reset helped with the battery drain before I do this? I hate doing a reset Ugh!!!!

cece5702

Reaction score
If I do a factory reset will I have to re-install all the apps I already have on my note? Will my pics and contacts get backed up automatically on cloud?