Kindle/Kobo Question

Redjak

Reaction score
After searching through the forums for a little while and finding nothing, I decided to post my question here. I have the Amazon Kindle app as well as the Kobo Reader, and am enjoying both immensely so far. The Kobo reader I prefer over Kindle so far, more for its organization and such. I've only gotten free books from both because I don't have the money for buying books. Anyway, I've downloaded quite a few books from sites such as Project Gutenberg, and was wondering how I can put them on either the Kindle app or Kobo reader? I have them on my SD card, and was wondering if I could add the books to either reader? Again I've already searched the forums...and Google...to no avail. Thanks in advance!

OP
R

Redjak

Reaction score
Well, I had an idea I'm actually quite proud of...I heard that Kindle syncs across devices, so I downloaded the Mac client, and opened all my books in it. They open fine on the computer...but when I try to sync them with my Droid, no beans. Nothing shows up :/ They're both signed in to the same account...anyone have any knowledge on this sort of thing?

BodyBagz

Reaction score
If all you want to do is add books to your phone that can be read by the Kindle app, you can do the following:

1) If you have the books on your computer, plug your phone in via USB..select Mass Storage Mode from the Notification Bar pull down menu.

2) Navigate to the folder on your computer that has the Kindle Books you want to add to your phone

3) Select that file and "right click" it and select "copy"

4) Now, navigate to the Kindle folder on your SD card on the Droid X...the SD card should be viewable from the My Computer menu as a "drive"..

5) Once you get to the Kindle folder on the phones SD card, just "right click" again, and "paste" the Kindle book file you selected earlier from your computer.

6) From the App Drawer or an Icon on a homescreen, click the Kindle App and you should now see the book you copied over and be able to read it...

OP
R

Redjak

Reaction score
Alright I'm trying this now...one second let's see how it works!

Hmmm...Droid just froze...the buttons are lit up but the lock screen won't show up. Restarting Droid...hopefully this works :p

Ok now the Droid eye just showed up on the screen so looks like my Droid crashed...opening Kindle...aaaand...it didn't work... >.< *sigh* this is getting to be highly aggravating.

OP
R

Redjak

Reaction score
I just discovered that if you put the books in epub format somewhere on your SD and use Kobo, you can import from your memory card. Looks like I'll be using Kobo over the Kindle now!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Weird...I have loaded all The Gunslinger books from Stephen King in .Mobi format(Kindle) on my phone with no trouble at all...:icon_eek:

As long as you are able to get what you like on the phone, then thats all that matters...

OP
R

Redjak

Reaction score
Well then it's good to know .mobi works too :)

jh120

Reaction score
Anyone know of an Android ebook reader that lets you sync bookmarked pages from your phone to some kind of PC application and vice versa? Basically I want to be able to read on my phone and pick up where I left off on my computer.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Anyone know of an Android ebook reader that lets you sync bookmarked pages from your phone to some kind of PC application and vice versa? Basically I want to be able to read on my phone and pick up where I left off on my computer.
Pretty sure Calibre(this is the Android App link) will do this...you will just have to set it up properly. I like the Calibre Reader(PC Reader), but I couldnt get it to play well with my DX...but I dont own a standalone E-Book reader either...I was also working from the PC based Calibre to my Droid X...