Editor in Chief
- Dec 30, 2010
- Reaction score
- Austin, TX
For folks who have a huge Kindle collection, but prefer a fully fleshed out Android device, the Kindle App is very handy. Amazon has taken things a step further with a new update which makes it even handier than before. The new update includes several fixes and enhancements, but the best thing they did was add a cool new feature called "Collections." This new feature allows users to better organize their Kindle book collections. You can can organize your books into groups and even name your Collection. Additionally, you can add any book you want to the Collection and add any book to as many Collections as you desire. This new Collections feature is even synced across all of the devices you login through.
The update also happens to include a few other handy little features. You can now rate a book after you finish it and there are some accessibility improvements for Talkback and Explore by Touch. If you haven't seen the Kindle App before, here's a description taken from the Google Play Store:
The Kindle app puts over a million books at your fingertips. It’s the app for every reader, whether you’re a book reader, magazine reader, or newspaper reader—and you don’t need to own a Kindle to use it. Choose from over a million Kindle books from the Kindle Store or enjoy popular magazines like The Economist and Reader’s Digest with high-resolution color images.*
• Read Free Books—Choose from thousands of free ebooks such as Pride & Prejudice or The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
• Shop for Books—Easily shop for ebooks, including new releases and New York Times Best Sellers.
• Use the Built-In Dictionary, Google, and Wikipedia—The Kindle app has a built-in dictionary that allows you to look up words instantly while you’re reading your ebooks. Simply tap and hold a word to view its definition or use the Google and Wikipedia links to get more information.
• Sync Your eBooks—The Kindle app lets you read the same book across devices and automatically syncs where you left off so you can start reading on one device and pick up where you left off on another device. The app syncs your furthest page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights between Android, PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, BlackBerry, Windows Phone 8, and any of our Kindle devices using our Whispersync technology.
• Sample Books Before You Buy—Read the first chapter of a book for free before you decide to buy.
• Customize Your Reading—Choose your preferred font size, screen brightness, background color, and orientation (portrait or landscape) to read your books.
• Borrow eBooks from the Library—Check out ebooks from your local library and have them delivered wirelessly to your Kindle app.
• Read print replica textbooks on Android tablets. Print Replica Kindle books maintain the rich formatting and layout of their related print editions and provide features to help students study smarter including ability to highlight passages, add margin notes, and search for keywords. Whispersync technology saves and synchronizes your bookmarks, notes, and highlights across your devices.
* Selection for U.S. users only; selection and price of ebooks and e-periodicals vary by country.
Here's a link to the Google Play Store to grab this new version of the Kindle App: Google Play Store - Kindle App