Kindle app

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Use the kindle app to go to the kindle store then go to any category or search on any term and sort by price.. There are thoudands of free books available. Mainly classics I think. I downloaded The Origin of Species just to try it out.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
You could also try the Aldiko app and download ePub versions for it if you're looking to read free books that aren't specfically on Amazon.

lyam

Reaction score
Aldiko is the better app by a country mile. The only thing Kindle has going for it is the extensive library of books and whispersync. I wish I could use Aldiko to read kindle library books. Without hacking the drm, that is.

maxnicks

Reaction score
I have Aldiko, Kindle, Barnes and Noble and eReader pro on my phone. IMHO the Kindle is the best of them all. Barnes and Nobles looks pretty good too. I just haven't yet had a chance to use it much. I'll try it out when I finish the Koontz novel I'm reading.

There's also an excellent desktop freeware program for converting from one type of ebook format to another (including PDF). You can get it at calibre-ebook.com. http://calibre-ebook.com/

lyam

Reaction score
What Aldiko has that the others don't:

-Toggle Day Night Theme (Kindle let's you pick the color for a similar effect. It's clunky, tho)
-Edit Font, background and text colors.
-Edit Font settings (size, font, etc..)
-Edit text layout settings (justification, line-space width)
-Configure navigation controls-use volume rocker to change pages!
-Lock Display Orientation (I often read laying on my side)

And more. The only downside I can see is a lack of an easily accessible library of purchasable books and it's sometimes slow loading a large chapter. The free library is spectacular though.

I've not seen anywhere near an impressive featureset on the Kindle, Nook, or Borders e-reader. Hope they catch up.

foghorn67

Reaction score
I find the Kindle app is much more responsive. Sometimes, the slightest thing can make Aldiko "think" for a second or two. But, I like them all. Aldiki, Kindle and Kobo. Haven't tried the B&N/Nook app yet.

linan516

Reaction score
If you find the book through the phone, then click download, you shouldn't have a problem. I have a couple of books from that site. I've also downloaded to the free Kindle on my Mac and they share information as to which books and what page I'm on.

awcomeone

Reaction score
Aldiko is the better app by a country mile. The only thing Kindle has going for it is the extensive library of books and whispersync. I wish I could use Aldiko to read kindle library books. Without hacking the drm, that is.

I love Aldiko especially with the upgrade that allows me to read Adobe DRM books I can loan from the LA Public Library. What I am beginning to suspect is that it drains my Droid battery fairly fast - even with Green Power battery protector. Yesterday less than two hours of interrupted reading (during a 4-hour period) took a fresh battery from 90% to 40%. If I am planning to use it to read while on a trip I must remember to take a couple of fresh batteries with me.

BTW I haven't paid close attention but I don't have the feeling the Kindle reader drains the battery as badly as Aldiko seems to.:icon_eek:

After writing this I did a little experiment, first opening Aldiko to the last page of the latest book I was reading, then laying the phone down. After that I did the same with the Kindle reader. I then looked at Usage Statistics in Spare Parts, Aldiko was 461,401 and Kindle 326,489 => for what that's worth...:)

Last edited:

debdroid1a

Reaction score