Keyboard wiggle?

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I saw on another forum that someone said the phone they played with had some wiggle in the slide out keyboard. I was unclear on whether or not this was a dummy phone or an actual phone. For those of you who have held the phone or possibly bought yours today (bastards), have you noticed any play in the slider?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
likely a dummy phone, though the dummy phone i played with had no wobble. neither did either of the real ones.

kmacx

Reaction score
wiggle

I have had the motorola droid for a few weeks now (I got it the Monday after it came out) and I have been noticing more and more twisting/wiggling in the keyboard, is this normal and supposed to be happening, I feel like it is getting looser and I am getting quite worried as I signed up for a 2 year contract with it

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Mine is nice and tight after about a month of use. I use the keyboard ALL the time and were talking 1-200 text messages a day.

kmacx

Reaction score
Hmm I am debating on going to verizon to ask them, however I do not want them to give me a refurbrished phone like they have done in the past, I always seem to have more and more problems whenever they give me a replacement phone. Anyway I'm almost positive they will tell me that this wiggling is normal, wether or not it is. I hope this phone doesn't end up breaking in half or something, when I had the chocolate I had a wiggle like this and eventually the screen and keyboard became seperated. I'm worried!

kastj

Reaction score
I'm extremely worried too. I noticed the wiggling about two days or so. If it keeps getting worse I am demanding a new phone. I don't want to risk it falling apart halfway through my contract.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No wiggle here. If it's getting loose I'd see about a replacement. I use mine pretty heavily and it's still nice and solid.

thelion

Reaction score
Hmm I am debating on going to verizon to ask them, however I do not want them to give me a refurbrished phone like they have done in the past, I always seem to have more and more problems whenever they give me a replacement phone. Anyway I'm almost positive they will tell me that this wiggling is normal, wether or not it is. I hope this phone doesn't end up breaking in half or something, when I had the chocolate I had a wiggle like this and eventually the screen and keyboard became seperated. I'm worried!

I would not worry too much about getting a refurb especially in store. This phone is pretty new and the most likely is that you will get a new one.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
I'd venture to say, just like a normal computer keyboard, things loosen-up a bit after use. I would be extremely surprised if the keys all-of-a-sudden just came out. You have to think Motorola punched the keys on the keyboard 10x more than any normal human being ever would during product testing.

After two solid years of using my i-760 I can definitely say I had some play in the keys on the keyboard--but never had a concern they would fall out. With that said, my DROID keyboard has started to loosen-up some but nothing out of the ordinary for me.

- Mega

darreno1

Reaction score
This phone uses a very simple slide mechanism from what I've read. I have no wobble (not even the slightest) so I am very surprised to hear this from some owners. There are several little screws on the back of the phone (slider open). I wonder if the wiggle some are experiencing are just loose screws?

Those with the wiggle should probably double check the screws to be sure they're tight.

cisco0910

Reaction score
Im normally a throw my cell phone in my front pocket and get going with my day guy but this is the very reason i dont put it im my pocket anymore. I noticed when i put it in my pocket it twistwd the phone around, mostly the keyboard slideout. My phones been on the case holster combo vzw sells ever since. Good luck

713King

Reaction score
i actually had that wiggle on the phone and also my screen would tap the keyboard like it had a play on it, a gap of some sort when closing the phone. Everytime i pressed down on the screen you can hear a tapping noise(not the heptic feedback like others say it was lol) and it was gettin annoying because i know motorola didnt make a phone so you can hear a tapping noise when you are using the onscreen keyboard. Also the asshole manager said he wouldnt replace my phone because all of their dummy phones did it?

kmacx

Reaction score
The screws aren't lose, its actually the screen and the slide out keyboard that seem to be coming loose from eachother. I hope it doesn't end up like the palm pre "oreo twist" effect. I went to verizon, and just as I suspected they told me it is normal, however when I tried to wiggle the screen on their model phones, they didn't wobble.

kmacx

Reaction score
This is becoming extremely annoying. If my phone ends up breaking halfway through my contract again and verizon screws me over yet again, I'm going to switch to at&t ... even though I really likw this phone, it doesn't feel like its going to last 2 years (especially with the wobble)... I haven't even dropped the phone yet

Twoo

Reaction score
This is becoming extremely annoying. If my phone ends up breaking halfway through my contract again and verizon screws me over yet again, I'm going to switch to at&t ... even though I really likw this phone, it doesn't feel like its going to last 2 years (especially with the wobble)... I haven't even dropped the phone yet

Phone insurance and warranty, what's the problem? If the phone wobble gets obscenely bad half way through you return it for another one under the insurance or warranty plan. If the warranty doesn't cover it, smash it in the ground and pay $50 for a replacement.

It's a phone, first generation- it won't be perfect.