Just received my Pixel XL

rosariorose9

Reaction score
LOVE IT! Was going to wait for the Pixel XL 2, but decided to pull the trigger now, because:

1) I was tired of dealing with the TERRIBLE outgoing phone volume on my 6P (otherwise, a great phone). Everyone I telephoned said they could not hear me, and there was no 'fix' from either Google or Verizon. There are multiple threads on the net complaining of the same problem..Today placed multiple calls on my Pixel, and was told that my voice was crystal clear. Yeahhhhh!

2) Google was offering $200 off on the XL, plus a free Daydream View. Hard deal to pass up.

My only complaint (and it's a minor one) - I'm not crazy about the 'shadow' covering the lower row of icons on the screen. I prefer the look on my 6P screen, where both rows of icons were 'clear'. I assume that there's no setting to change this, but would love to find out I'm wrong....

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Congrats on the new phone! One of my coworkers has one and really likes it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Congrats! I love mine. Can't beat the deal they're running on them.

I had similar issues with my 6p & didn't make it near as long as you did.

I don't see any reason to upgrade anytime soon, though I wouldn't mind smaller bezels like the XL 2 is rumored to have.

I'm looking forward to Android Or on this phone. I played with one of the beta builds for a little while. Gonna be an even better phone soon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Thanks Sajo and johnny Kansas. Yes, johnny, it was a struggle dealing with the 6P volume issue. The only way that I could get people to hear me was to use the speakerphone, which was a real drag. Terrible that Google never found a fix for that problem. In any event, I agree - I really don't care that much about the bezels. And, I was also turned off by the likelihood that the Pixel 2 will not have a headphone jack. So, all in all, I'm a happy camper!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
...So, all in all, I'm a happy camper!

And that's ^^^ all that matters. It's your phone and if you are happy with it, and like it that's what is truly important.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Thanks, bkdodger! Just received Oreo, so interested to see how that impacts this phone...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
LOVE IT! Was going to wait for the Pixel XL 2, but decided to pull the trigger now, because:

1) I was tired of dealing with the TERRIBLE outgoing phone volume on my 6P (otherwise, a great phone). Everyone I telephoned said they could not hear me, and there was no 'fix' from either Google or Verizon. There are multiple threads on the net complaining of the same problem..Today placed multiple calls on my Pixel, and was told that my voice was crystal clear. Yeahhhhh!

2) Google was offering $200 off on the XL, plus a free Daydream View. Hard deal to pass up.

My only complaint (and it's a minor one) - I'm not crazy about the 'shadow' covering the lower row of icons on the screen. I prefer the look on my 6P screen, where both rows of icons were 'clear'. I assume that there's no setting to change this, but would love to find out I'm wrong....

Did 8.0 not fix that on your 6P?

I was getting tired of the issues with my 6P as well but 8.0 breathe new life in it. I still have that terrible screenshot bug but other than that my battery life has improved a tad and it may be just enough of a crutch to get me to Pixel XL2.

Either way good purchase as no matter which route you went you were getting a great device with solid support from Google for the next few years.

Congrats.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Throw that 8.0 on there, it may help holding out a little more easier.
Running it now. After a reset, it is running pretty well. Still stutters and what not, but definitely better than 7.1.2.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Running it now. After a reset, it is running pretty well. Still stutters and what not, but definitely better than 7.1.2.

Yeah I still notice some issues as well but it will be enough to help me limp into October/November for when I am looking to purchase the XL2.

But yeah you can tell the 6P is getting a little long in the tooth.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And I thought I wanted to downsize with my next phone... That V30 looks so good, it'll be impossible for me to turn down the XL2 if it looks anything like it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
And I thought I wanted to downsize with my next phone... That V30 looks so good, it'll be impossible for me to turn down the XL2 if it looks anything like it.

The good news is, they're making smaller phones with screens just as big or bigger these days.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk