Just narrowly avoided automatic software update!

goffredo

Reaction score
I have been resisting upgrading my DINC2 beyond its out-of-box Android 2.2.1 OS because I understand it makes rooting very difficult / impossible. My phone must be rooted so I can use Barnacle for wifi tethering while I'm in Europe.

I was on a conference call (on my landline) just now and playing with my phone in boredom, when a screen suddenly popped up. It was a count-down screen that said something like "Downloading Verizon update automatically in 15 seconds!" I hurriedly tapped the cancel button. Now my Settings : Software Update : Status shows:

Source: Verizon Wireless
Name: HTC_ADR6350_2.18.605.4
Code: 401
Date: 8/19/11
Time: 3:26 pm <-- just a few minutes ago
Description: Software updates automatically and the mobile will power down and up as part of this special offering

No way in hell do I want an automatic update that keeps me from rooting my phone! I wonder what would have happened if I wasn't watching my phone when it tried to update its firmware... probably I would have turned my phone on and it would have been un-rooted, bricked, and/or upgraded to an OS where I can no longer root it. There is no way to turn this off. Now I'm afraid when I'm not looking, Verizon will force a miserable update on my phone.

Am I being paranoid? Should I take my tinfoil hat off? I didn't think Verizon could force updates, so I'm not really sure what this was. 2.18.605.4 doesn't look like an Android version, maybe it's just radio firmware or something innocuous?

OP
G

goffredo

Reaction score
The revolutionary exploit now only works for gingerbread. I would go ahead and let it update. Unless you just want to use the AlphaRevx exploit for some reason.

Fascinating. When I rooted it a week or so ago, I ran revolutionary-0.3pre7.zip from revolutionary.io, which was the latest version and ONLY ran on FROYO (2.2.x). I just checked back to see what you were talking about, and sure enough, I see the following changelist:

0.4pre2
- Fixed support for HTC Incredible 2 (vivo_w) 0.97.0000, only works on Gingerbread now!

Interesting. It sounds like I'm free to upgrade to Gingerbread now and still be able to root my phone. Thanks for the heads-up, I can remove the little tinfoil case I made for my DINC2 to keep the evil Verizon radio waves out of its CPU.

plyboyzhottest

Reaction score
i have that problem! last night, an automatic update popped up and somehow, it rejected. When i woke up this morning, my phone has a black screen, a blue droid icon along with a yellow exclamation point inside a white triangle. my phone does nothing..idk what to do...im lost :(

nrblank

Reaction score
i have that problem! last night, an automatic update popped up and somehow, it rejected. When i woke up this morning, my phone has a black screen, a blue droid icon along with a yellow exclamation point inside a white triangle. my phone does nothing..idk what to do...im lost :(

I'm in the same position! Did you have any luck?

idiotintraining

Reaction score

I'm in the same position! Did you have any luck?

Yeah, the same thing happened to my Thunderbolt. It does bring up the android with the exclamation mark but hit the 'menu' button and it will bring up the screen where you can restore to factory settings and then reboot. I have to do that after every single time I don't catch the update and it already downloaded. It gets rid of the root but at least the phone would work but you would have to start all over again. But because I rooted and deleted a ton of the bloatware, it will still keep doing the same thing if it updates if you're rooted or not. I guess that's because I tampered with the original rom. I'm thinking of changing my rom completely and hopefully this never happens again. I hate it. When I don't use my phone I either have to shut it off or put it in airplane mode to make sure it doesn't update

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
People having problems with getting auto updates. Try going into etc/security on the your phone with root explorer in r/w (read/write). Find the file name otacerts.zip and rename it otacerts.bak. Then mount as r/o (read only) in root explorer and exit. This should block OTA's.

black68gtx

Reaction score
root explorer? I did a search in windows on my phone and found otacerts.zip 3 times with different dates modified in folder system/etc/security and 1 otacerts.zip.p patch/system/etc/security. I can't see them in when I open the sd card folder. How do I get to them to rename the files?
I just went through a long day Wednesday upgrading from froyo to GB rooted and lost it when I got the OTA on Thursday. So, I started all over again, and do not want to update.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root explorer is an app in the market that let's you mount system as read/write and rename files. Otacerts is in internal memory, not on sdcard. There is a folder called etc loose in internal memory.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk