Just Joined - Tethering Question

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you ever need to take it back, uninstall all root apps first then uninstall Z4.
If you open a root app and are not rooted, it won't work.

Thank you everyone for your help, I think I have done it properly. My only and last question is after I unrooted, it just said unrooted but didn't restart, should it have restarted?

How do I know I'm truly back to being unrooted?

If I take the phone into verizon, should I uninstall the wireless tether app and z4root?

Sent down via a Bolt of lightning!!

BoJatey

Reaction score
Go to Settings, Applications and check the Unknown Sources box. This will allow you to download non-market apps.
Ok, so I went to the XDA website to download z4root onto.my phone and I got an error saying"cannot download file not supported on this phone"

I'm running android version 2.21 on a Verizon droid x.

Suggestions?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It's the browser of the DX, not the Unknown Sources box.
Here's Z4Root for you
http://db.tt/ii0RiXL

Go to Settings, Applications and check the Unknown Sources box. This will allow you to download non-market apps.
Ok, so I went to the XDA website to download z4root onto.my phone and I got an error saying"cannot download file not supported on this phone"

I'm running android version 2.21 on a Verizon droid x.

Suggestions?

Sent down via a Bolt of lightning!!

Natey2

Reaction score
So, would anyone like to explain what rooting is and safety of not losing everything I already have on my X?

Plus how do I root and unroot?

I'm not rooted. Maybe I will at a later point in time.
Playing the Devil's Advocate here...
Have you noticed how most of the rooting posts never discuss the possible dangers of rooting?

http://jack-mannino.blogspot.com/2010/11/dangers-of-rooting-your-mobile-device.html

Also, is SuperUser.apk installed by z4root? Guard that file :)
For developers interested in the original SuperUser code: http://code.google.com/p/superuser/

To tether, I use http://www.tetheryourphone.com/ (which is basically PdaNet). There are occasional rebates from frys.com that make it free after the rebate.

BoJatey

Reaction score
Which route do you go with Wifi Tether and why, bluetooth or wifi? Just weighing the pros and cons of each.
+1! Used it on countless phones with 0 issues!
Btw, I have done several different themes for Wireless Tether too...just in case green and solid backgrounds aren't your cup 'o tea :)

Z4root makes it super easy to root and unroot if needed. I recommend it 100%!

Sent down with a Bolt of lightening!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I use WiFi mainly. But I also use Easy Tether Pro which is a slight increase in speed :)
However, since getting a ThunderBolt, I use the free Mobile HotSpot.

Which route do you go with Wifi Tether and why, bluetooth or wifi? Just weighing the pros and cons of each.
Btw, I have done several different themes for Wireless Tether too...just in case green and solid backgrounds aren't your cup 'o tea :)

Z4root makes it super easy to root and unroot if needed. I recommend it 100%!

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

BoJatey

Reaction score
Great, I rooted to try one of the wifi apps because I read they were better. I had ET lite but couldn't connect half the time and I know it's limited but didn't want to spend ten bucks for pro. Now you're saying it's better speed wise?
I use WiFi mainly. But I also use Easy Tether Pro which is a slight increase in speed :)
However, since getting a ThunderBolt, I use the free Mobile HotSpot.

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

Mjclemm

Reaction score
Very very newbie... Still wet behind the ears newbie ,

Hello, as I just stated about, I'm extremely new to this. That being said, I've been following this post and am hearing ROOT , UNROOT etc... No clue on how this is done, will Verision do the ROOT for you and make the phone a hotspot for a fee? I just don't want to screw something up bad. I thank you all in advance and please be a lil easy on the Hazing of a newbie that's trying to learn. Thanks again...Mic..":icon_eek:

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon will not root it for you! Don't even mention it to them. I would do some reading on root (google search, youtube, these forums). If you really want wifi tether then you'll need to root

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

Mjclemm

Reaction score
Will (not) Do...lol

Verizon will not root it for you! Don't even mention it to them. I would do some reading on root (google search, youtube, these forums). If you really want wifi tether then you'll need to root

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8

Hello and thanks, I was gonna go tomorrow and ask them, THANKS A TON for the heads up. I defiantly will NOT ask them about it. It just wok SO good for my Daughter and the IPAD, I wanted the WIRELESS tethering for my Droid. It just surprises me that her phone wasn't no where near the cost of the Droid that I have and she has wireless tethering and I need a USB wire (and of coarse I cant with the IPAD) So... I guess I willhave to try and not "BRICK" the phone. I also wanted to install a GPS tracker for a phone without her / hi knowin and I was told I had to do this as well for it to work correctly, is that true, or is there a program that can be bought that REALLY works? thanks a ton...MIChael:)

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Where's my droid is a great app. Its free and is a gps tracker if you lose the phone. Also check out plan b.

Droid 2 APEX -The fastest ROM out there.