Tethering on droid x?

fccs

Reaction score
So I have tried pdanet and easytether, neither of which seem to be working now? My friends droid can tether fine using pdanet but when I go to use it on the X it brings my laptop to a verizon page telling me I need to buy blah blah blah if I wish to use this and that. Easytethering doesnt recognize my phone to connect to, I can't get the phones drivers to install it seems right. Any ideas or help as to what im doing wrong? Thanks

OP
F

fccs

Reaction score
Isnt there a workaround like there is for the droid?

DRMMR02

Reaction score
I was under the impression that Easytether was the workaround. When I had a MyTouch with t-mobile, Easytether worked just fine, and t-mobile doesn't allow tethering officially at all.

jst4fun

Reaction score
PDA net works great on new X. Only issue is with the network. Coming over from AT&T about 3 weeks ago, I miss being able to text, answer calls and still be on the internet. But then again, its nice having cell service almost everywhere I go, which the other company was lacking.

OP
F

fccs

Reaction score
thanks, installed those drivers and everything works fine!

novafreak69

Reaction score
OK... So this may be a dumb question but... here goes.... PDA Net Cost $30 and EasyTether cost $10... is there any reason that anyone would purchase PDA Net? They both do the same thing correct? Uncapped Speeds I have tried both... and they both work.... Not sure there is any reason to pay $30 when I can pay $10....

g.ifonlyyouknew

Reaction score
I'm running on PDAnets trial right now and it seems fine and worth the one time fee. I keep reading the bouncing reviews on the two and nothing has swayed me one way or the other yet, aside from the price if EasyTether works just as well (will find out after this trial expires)

novafreak69

Reaction score
OK... So this may be a dumb question but... here goes.... PDA Net Cost $30 and EasyTether cost $10... is there any reason that anyone would purchase PDA Net? They both do the same thing correct? Uncapped Speeds I have tried both... and they both work.... Not sure there is any reason to pay $30 when I can pay $10....

My speeds SUCK... not sure if it is the Cap by VZW ( I pay for the mobile hotspot) or if the cap is set by PDANet or EasyTether... is anyone getting decent speeds? if so... are you paying for the Mobile HotSpot? and which tether app are you using and are you using the Full version or the trial?

ACalcutt

Reaction score

You can use PDANET free if you are using it over bluetooth.

g.ifonlyyouknew

Reaction score
My speeds SUCK... not sure if it is the Cap by VZW ( I pay for the mobile hotspot) or if the cap is set by PDANet or EasyTether... is anyone getting decent speeds? if so... are you paying for the Mobile HotSpot? and which tether app are you using and are you using the Full version or the trial?

ACalcutt said:
I'm not paying for the hotspot and my speeds are decent.

You can use PDANET free if you are using it over bluetooth.

You can only do that till the trial expires. Till then the https viewing ends with the "extended" trial.

AzJazz

Reaction score
I bought EasyTether like it a lot. I also bought PDA Net, and definitely prefer EasyTether over PDA Net - and, hey - it's a LOT cheaper! ET was a little faster, and more "auotmatic" when plugging in the phone for tethering.

That said, all of this may be moot in the next month or two. Once Froyo is available on the DX, you probably won't need either of these apps.

Unless using ET is "invisible" to Verizon vs. the Froyo tethering functionality, you probably won't want to be tethering, anyways. Verizon will probably become very aggressive against "free tethering".

My thoughts,

AzJazz

jetdoc

Reaction score
No, but PDA and the other tether apps are totally not loading on my laptop now. I had no issues when I loaded them with my Incredible, odd.