Just got a Droid Maxx

OP
Monshroud

Monshroud

Reaction score
So I just wanted to update folks on how I am coming along with my new Maxx. I just took a business trip with it and it has worked out pretty well. I enabled the voice control of the phone, which works rather well for certain things, but fails on others. I have gotten better with the virtual keyboard, although my biggest issue is I keep hitting the home button when trying to hit the space bar. I guess that will take some time. Here is a breakdown of my observations and experience with it thus far:

1> The phone is fast! Some of that is the jump from 3G to 4G, but the games I have played and browsing the web, zooming in and out of pages/pictures, everything has been real smooth for me.

2> Touchless control (voice control) works pretty well. I was able to set alarms, and do map searches all by voice. My issue is the phone doesn't do many contextual commands. (if that is the right expression) What I mean is, I can't say "OK Google, now start a slideshow" and have it show random photos. I can't say "OK Google, now play music." It will do a search for "Play Music" and not actually start playing any music on my phone. If I say "Play The Killers" it goes into the play store, to The Killers music list, but never plays music on the device. This is a big disappointment for me. Now maybe I am just saying the wrong commands, but I could have sworn in previous versions of Android you could start playing music via voice command. If you have info on this please let me know.

3> The camera is good. I don't know if I would say great. I have seen some photos and video from the SGS4 and they were very solid. Now, that being said, some of this is due to user error. I took a bunch of photos without ever checking the lens which had a big finger print mark on it, which I think was causing a loss in sharpness. In low light the few pictures I took came out pretty well (after cleaning the lens). I took a shot of someone in front of a window with the sun behind them and they appeared very clearly in the photo, which impressed me. In my prior experience those shots look like black blobs with light behind them. Getting to the camera by twisting the phone worked for me about 75% of the time. You can't do it too fast or too slow

4> I am not a huge cell phone user, I usually have a tablet or laptop with me for most tasks. That being said, I made a point to try and use my phone a LOT over the last week and I never used more than about 40 - 45% of the battery in a day. That is a mix of taking photos / video, web browsing, game playing and talking. So for me I can definitely see this lasting me 2 - 3 days per charge. Your results may vary.

After 1 week of owning the phone, I will say I am really happy with my choice. I still feel like I am on the learning curve with not just the physical phone, but with jumping so far ahead in Android revisions. (2.3 -> 4.2)

A couple notes about the accessories I bought.
1> Purchased the Verizon Bumper for the phone, It fits real solid on the phone, but it adds a decent amount of weight to the phone. . . or at least it feels like it does. It is still lighter than my R2-D2.

2> Purchased the screen protector cover. Stuck on nice and easy. The only downside to it is that is does impact the clarity of the screen. Not terribly, but to my eyes there was a noticeable difference.

3> I bought the "Motorola Flip Stand with Smart Charger" and while the stand is nice and versatile... (it is universal) the charger is not what I had hoped for. I guess there is no "smart mode" for the Droid Maxx? Also, when just using the USB cable, when hooking it up to a computer, my USB port doesn't recognize anything is plugged in. Use a regular USB cable and it charges and makes the phone accessible, swap to the "smart" cable and nada.

4> I did by the universal car mount, I have been away so I have not tried it yet.

A couple questions if anyone can answer here that would be wonderful, if not I will just repost these questions in the support area.
1> Is there a "Dock Mode" or "Car Mode" for this phone? I have the phone going into "Daydream" mode, but with the phone in landscape mode, the home screen doesn't rotate and it makes reading certain menus and screens rather difficult.

2> Is that Smart Charger supposed to work with the Maxx? If not, is there a better dock I can use that is cheaper. I use the dock in my office where I have it hooked to a computer for charging, so having to use A/C power doesn't work well for me for moving pictures and music.

Thanks for reading all of this, I hope you have found this info to be usable.

*EDIT* - Fixed some grammar because I forgot to proof read before posting.

Last edited:

doogald

Reaction score
1> Is there a "Dock Mode" or "Car Mode" for this phone? I have the phone going into "Daydream" mode, but with the phone in landscape mode, the home screen doesn't rotate and it makes reading certain menus and screens rather difficult.
/QUOTE]

Yes. Verizon sells two docks, a desktop and car dock (the car dock is made by Griffin.) apparently there are magnetic sensors on the back of the Maxx that launch the two modes. I believe that desktop magnet goes in the center, just below the Moto logo, and car mode is on the left hand (non-volume button) side of the back.

Still, compared with the bionic type car dock mode, it's not as useful. It basically just uses the assist driving mode app and the touch less voice control to control what the phone does.

RONL98

Reaction score
So jus picked my maxx n so far I gotta thank "migrate app" thats one helpful app but after transferring everything over I do realize why I wanted a "SD" setup to start off with. Current available memory 19gb!. Damn.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
2> Touchless control (voice control) works pretty well. I was able to set alarms, and do map searches all by voice. My issue is the phone doesn't do many contextual commands. (if that is the right expression) What I mean is, I can't say "OK Google, now start a slideshow" and have it show random photos. I can't say "OK Google, now play music." It will do a search for "Play Music" and not actually start playing any music on my phone. If I say "Play The Killers" it goes into the play store, to The Killers music list, but never plays music on the device. This is a big disappointment for me. Now maybe I am just saying the wrong commands, but I could have sworn in previous versions of Android you could start playing music via voice command. If you have info on this please let me know.

Try saying "OK Google Now" and then "Help me". The phone will give you a list of the usable commands. For example the correct command to play music is "OK Google Now, listen to (song/album/artist name)". It's too bad it doesn't understand natural language, but hopefully they will add more of that in time. For now though the commands do seem to work well for me. Hope this helps!

RONL98

Reaction score
I second that. The commands are easy to follow n jus have to hit the right que. Plus since this is my first upgrade from original droid x. Its a big diff for me plus the fact that the phone actually words n doesnt freeze up on me n no lag. But gotta do something bout this memory deal

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I second that. The commands are easy to follow n jus have to hit the right que. Plus since this is my first upgrade from original droid x. Its a big diff for me plus the fact that the phone actually words n doesnt freeze up on me n no lag. But gotta do something bout this memory deal

Yes, I notice if you just blurt it out with no pauses it works, hesitate and it doesn't work as well.

Just curious what is the magic word(s) to actually send a text? I can compose but "send" doesn't send message. Have to manually send.

Sent from my XT1080 using Droid Forums

RONL98

Reaction score
Well today being my second day of playing with the phone.. The screen kinda paused n didn't respond for a Lil bit.. Hmm something I need to tell Motorola? Plus its suppose to be " OK Google now, send text to yada" n so on

RONL98

Reaction score
Plus also the touchless control is responsive during driving only. So far!

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Well today being my second day of playing with the phone.. The screen kinda paused n didn't respond for a Lil bit.. Hmm something I need to tell Motorola? Plus its suppose to be " OK Google now, send text to yada" n so on

Just say "okay Google now text....... Don't know the code word to actually send. Don't hesitate and it works except for how to send.

Sent from my XT1080 using Droid Forums

Jimmy8881

Reaction score
So today I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from a R2-D2 Droid 2 to a Droid Maxx. I had been looking for a phone to upgrade to since around the time the iPhone 5 came out. When I had heard about the Moto X, I decided to wait until the official specs were out before making a decision. That was a long wait, but after finding out all the customization options were on AT&T for an unknown amount of time, I decided to give the Maxx a try.

I decided to pay full price to keep my unlimited data plan. Verizon had an option where I could distribute the phone cost over a year and I left the store paying less than $200 for it (with accessories). Granted I will have higher monthly bills for a year. I seriously thought of moving my family on to a 8GB share everything plan so I could get tethering, and then I realized that I have gone this long with out it and so, maybe I don't "need" it. I had also considered dropping my unlimited to just pay less for the phone but then I remembered hearing from so many folk talk about how after going to 4G, how they would now use up much more data per month then they had before. Oh, and it was going to cost me an extra $15 a month on that plan than I pay now.

I had seriously considered the SGS4 and the HTC One. While the HTC is a nice phone, I know a few people who have had nothing but problems with HTC phones in the past, and while on the boards people seem to like them, I chose to value the opinion of the people I knew over the anonymous ones I didn't. I was really close to getting a SGS4. I like the phone and I know others who have it and enjoy it. Considered the Note, but it is just too big for me.

So why did I get the Droid Maxx? To be perfectly honest, I decided to take a chance. I think their X8 processor idea is a good one. Being in the I.T. industry and after reading that interview with one of the developers, it made me think. More cores doesn't mean a better experience. I have seen too many times people buy servers with these high multi-core processors and then watch them run at 15% all day. I was really worried about the lack of 1080 display too. Then I remembered I have been on a 850x480 display since the OG Droid, so 1280x720 was still a solid jump up and I don't think from a watching video perspective you need Full HD on a 5 inch display. That's just my opinion though. Text was clearer on the SGS4 to me, but not so much that I felt the Maxx was lacking.

While the Ultra probably would have been fine for me, I don't think I have ever heard someone complain about having more battery life, so it seemed like the right choice.

I have only played with it for an hour or so now, and I realize the following:
1> Going from Froyo to Jelly Bean is a HUGE change
2> I suck at using a virtual keyboard

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading it if you did.

- Monshroud
Im thinking of doing the same you did, but I thought if you use the edge plan you lose the unlimited??? Ive been on unlimited for a while now and I don't want to lose it. How can I be sure that my contract stays the same??

Trky

Reaction score
Buy the phone at full price. Only way to get the phone and keep unlimited.

Tas

Reaction score
Im thinking of doing the same you did, but I thought if you use the edge plan you lose the unlimited??? Ive been on unlimited for a while now and I don't want to lose it. How can I be sure that my contract stays the same??

I don't think he was talking about the edge plan. The Edge plan is the cost of the phone plus a fee spread over 2 years. I believe they can also spread the full price of the phone over one year and you still get to keep unlimited. I think. I ended up just paying the whole thing in one shot and it stung a bit. LOL. When I was on the phone with them, I forgot about that until I read someone did the 1 year thing and they sure as hell didn't mention it.

Droid Maxxxxxxxx

Reaction score
can anyone comment on how the speaker sounds when laying the phone down on its back? i have the original razr maxx and the sound gets terribly muffled, which i dislike. thanks for your input!

phontek642

Reaction score
You can upgrade another phone on your account that does not have a smart phone and after activating it on the other line just move it to your line and cancel the new data plan and keep the unlimited on your line. Just go to the VZ website and you can move it yourself.

Matt