Jott replacement...

cadre.9

Reaction score
I just received a notice today that Jott.com is shutting down. It was a great, low-cost service I've used for years: call a number, dictate a message, receive an email to read the voice-to-text conversion or hear your message. A great way to leave yourself notes and reminders on the fly. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reliable app that would perform the same service?

cadre

FaxMan

Reaction score
May I humbly suggest TalkScribe?

Disclaimer... I work for TalkScribe. I learned out about Jott's departure when a former Jott customer called yesterday looking for a replacement service. It seemed to fit his needs well so I figure others may be in need of a solution. I'll apologize and immediately remove this post if it is seen as objectionable.

cpjr

Reaction score
There are alot of apps that will allow you to take notes. And your phone has speech to text built in, so you can use that. No need to pay for some service, that would be a rip.

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
May I humbly suggest TalkScribe?

Disclaimer... I work for TalkScribe. I learned out about Jott's departure when a former Jott customer called yesterday looking for a replacement service. It seemed to fit his needs well so I figure others may be in need of a solution. I'll apologize and immediately remove this post if it is seen as objectionable.

I subscribed to Jott's pay-as-you-go plan which was ideal for me as I might go weeks without using the service but I always made sure I had enough minutes for my needs. Talkscribe doesn't seem to offer such a plan.

There are alot of apps that will allow you to take notes. And your phone has speech to text built in, so you can use that. No need to pay for some service, that would be a rip.

I looked at some of the apps in the Market but I saw none that offered that great hands-free option of simply saying "Call Jott" into my Bluetooth headset and dictating my message.

cadre

FaxMan

Reaction score
@cadre.9

I hesitate risking running afoul of the rules here by getting into too many specifics, but if you'd like to PM me or make contact via the TalkScribe website, I think we may have some solutions for you to at least evaluate.

@cpjr

I agree 100% for certain needs and applications. I use the built in voice recognition in my EVO frequently if I'm in a quiet place and need something short and quick.

zach.xtr

Reaction score
I was surfing the forums and saw this post and felt I had 2 cents to add...

I use the voice search on my phone a LOT and it works great for short sentences "Orlando Florida sushi" to help me find items, navigate with maps, or respond to text messages or short emails. However, for me, it is not piratical for dictation or anything longer than a few seconds as it stops to process when I pause which disrupts real world usability.

Additionally I also use TalkScribe to process my incoming voicemails which works well for me for two reasons: 1) I can READ them and click on transcribed phone numbers to call back if I chose; and 2) I have the sound file backup for clarification if needed as, in my experience, NO voice to text is 100% accurate (particularly on all important names and locations).

EDIT: oh I forgot to mention that I also leave myself voicemails that get transcribed and sent to me that I then use for followup notes and to do items...

Hope this helps... :)

FaxMan

Reaction score
We have received a number of inquires about our service from Jott orphans as a result of this thread. I figured it might be helpful for me to clarify some things so I asked some super-mods for their opinions regarding posting additional information and they thought it would be ok.

First, there are a number of things that Jott did that we can not do.

What we can do…

Notes Dictation

Via Phone - We provide a telephone number where you call and leave a recording of up to 5 minutes in duration. The message is transcribed and delivered to your email address with a copy of the audio.

Via Email – Using most existing smartphone voice recorder apps, personal recording devices, etc. you make a recording and email it to your TalkScribe email address for transcription and delivery to email and/or SMS

VoiceMail Transcription

Mobile Phones – we replace your carrier voicemail box with a TalkScribe enabled voicemail box. Messages are transcribed and delivered to email with a copy of the audio and/or SMS.

Email – If you have a voicemail system that is capable of delivering an email with an audio attachment, we provide you an email address where messages received will be transcribed and emailed and/or texted to you.

Pricing:

• Our rate plans are here.

• We are working on a new pre-paid plan for casual users where they can purchase a bucket of minutes and recharge after use.

• We offer a no obligation trial so you can ‘see’ and evaluate the quality of our work. No credit card or billing information required in advance. No automatic charge at the end of the trial.

What we can’t do…

• Send emails/notes etc to other email/SMS addresses.
  • Post notes directly to CRM applications.
  • Set calendar entries or reminders.
  • A number of other things that we’ve learned Jott could do.

Clearly, TalkScribe isn’t for everybody - perhaps just a small niche. I understand that.

We are a small company that does what we do very well and have very satisfied customers that have been with us for years. We do not have a large marketing budget, a huge web presence, or VC funding. Most of our customers have come to us as referrals from other customers saying ‘can you do for me what you are doing for ____?’. If you call us, we'll answer the phone or call you back within minutes.

We are not trying to build a massive customer list for an eventual acquisition. We plan to be in business for the long haul and plan to remain cash-flow positive.

[FONT=&quot]John
[/FONT]