texts not coming through at random and duplicate texts: droid or vzw problem?

lalala11

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I know a bunch of people (myself included) have had some issues where your texts completely stop and the phone needs to be rebooted or you need to send yourself a text and then a whole bunch of texts come in. I'm having some different texting problems lately.

1) People will say they sent a text and I will never receive it, even though other texts from them or another person might be coming through at/around the same time. Like in a conversation with someone, I'll miss a text from them, but it will say sent on their end and the texts they sent before and after that will come through fine. Usually I never get the missing text, but occasionally it will come through hours later.

2) I keep receiving multiple texts from people, even as many as 5 or 6 of the same message. It happens randomly, but usually when it happens in one conversation, it happens in others at the same time. I do notice that the more time I spend in a place with weak signal (where I work), the more it happens, but it continues even when I'm at home or at other places that have good service.

I'm using stock sms app on unrooted gingerbread, but both of these problems started in September (that I know of), when I still had froyo. This seems to be happening regardless of what kind of phone or what provider my contacts have.

Is this an issue with my phone or is it a Verizon issue? And can I/Verizon even do anything about it?

Thank you!

Snipe_AT

Reaction score
Having same issue... bump.

Edit: I was using stock messaging app on a custom rom. It also seems to happen during with all contacts at one time.

Sent from my Bionic Beast via Tapatalk

Last edited:

hal83

Reaction score
On my Droid Pro I would get multiple texts from the same people, but they all came thru at some point or another. A relative also had this problem with his Droid X. I know I was using GoSMS and Handcent. Maybe 3rd party texting apps are the problem?

On my Admiral on Sprint I don't remember ever getting duplicate texts. Maybe it is a Verizon problem.

hal83

Reaction score
Out of curiosity I just found that this is a known Verizon problem. Suggestions from a Verizon rep:

"I would attempt to clear the cache on the messaging app and start there. Clearing the cache of the messaging app can be done under Settings> Applications> Manage Applications> All> Messaging> Clear Cache/Data/Force Stop.

Warning:
This will likely remove your email accounts and erase all text messages.

If none of that works, you can try 1 of 2 things:
1) Master Reset.2) Try a 3rd party text messaging app. A search in the Market for "Text Messaging" should yield plenty of results."

Others suggest installing a third-party texting app or wiping the cache partition all together. I found this here: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/561438/ for common Droid X issues.