JellyBean update for Razr/Razr Maxx the good the bad the ugly

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Thanks again to FoxKat and Company for their step by step downgrade to .211 then upgrade to Jellybean.
Is easy to follow root/keep root or in my case not rooted.

So what's GBU of this upgrade.

Good
4G connectivity is great
WiFi is manic to keep connected in my case saves a lot of power
Love the notification slide down
The phone is faster and snapper
Chrome has only crashed once not daily
Battery does seem to be better
Day to day menu choices are better

Bad
WiFi is manic to keep connected in my case saves a lot of power (the aggressive nature can get annoying we a have WiFi at work it is for customers only but my phone keeps trying connect even when I have Smartactions turning WiFi off. There is a menu toggle in to shut this off.)
Sleep mode is gone ( used it a lot when I was away from battery.)
My Lapdock doesn't format correctly, it seems to be stuck on phone mode.
There are still a few pauses and times when it wont accept key presses
It only has bedside and charging in dock mode, can't choose your own apps.
(fortunately the bedside dock works fine and dims down but is still visible to my un-bespectacled eyes.)

I can honestly say I've got my phone back and I'm very happy with Jellybean on my Maxx.
I think I should FDR and start over with my crazy app addiction and only put back the apps I use.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
:clap:Glad to see there's no "Ugly"! :rofl2:

And thanks for the "thanks".

TriciaH

Reaction score
Mine updated OTA on 24 Dec.
Good:
Very fast. Everything is extremely smooth.
Like the pull down settings in the notification bar.
The end call button is BIG. Yes I like that!
You can SEE the notification bar icons again!
Google Now is cool.
Moto weather widget is gone (Google Now will do that for you) but the AccuWeather app from the Play Store is much improved. Like.
Tried Chrome. Runs well but I still prefer FF. Personal preference.
All notification sounds and ring tones still work.
All apps run fine. Updated a few but even those ran prior to update.
Gallery is faster and thumbs seem bigger to me but for the life of me can't remember the size on ICS. Swipe to browse and it is fast.
4G and Wifi connect and stay connected. I use 3G at work (archiac building with no repeaters or WiFi) and it locks right on using the LTE app.
Battery life is stellar.
Call quality is great as it always has been.

Cons:
Does not seem complete - no circle widget (I know there is one in the Play Store), no swiping the home screen for other controls.
My computer can no longer find the device but as I found out, this is a computer problem, not the phone.
Photos - folders are duplicated and numbers of pictures in the duplicate folders varies daily. No clue. But everything is there and I have put this little issue on ignore until the final build.

All in all even though this was apparently not supposed to happen, it did. And the phone runs great. Did 3 cache wipes which may have helped smooth it all out.

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
Mine updated OTA on 24 Dec.
Good:
Very fast. Everything is extremely smooth.
Like the pull down settings in the notification bar.
The end call button is BIG. Yes I like that!
You can SEE the notification bar icons again!
Google Now is cool.
Moto weather widget is gone (Google Now will do that for you) but the AccuWeather app from the Play Store is much improved. Like.
Tried Chrome. Runs well but I still prefer FF. Personal preference.
All notification sounds and ring tones still work.
All apps run fine. Updated a few but even those ran prior to update.
Gallery is faster and thumbs seem bigger to me but for the life of me can't remember the size on ICS. Swipe to browse and it is fast.
4G and Wifi connect and stay connected. I use 3G at work (archiac building with no repeaters or WiFi) and it locks right on using the LTE app.
Battery life is stellar.
Call quality is great as it always has been.

Cons:
Does not seem complete - no circle widget (I know there is one in the Play Store), no swiping the home screen for other controls.
My computer can no longer find the device but as I found out, this is a computer problem, not the phone.
Photos - folders are duplicated and numbers of pictures in the duplicate folders varies daily. No clue. But everything is there and I have put this little issue on ignore until the final build.

All in all even though this was apparently not supposed to happen, it did. And the phone runs great. Did 3 cache wipes which may have helped smooth it all out.

Circle widget is a Droid RAZR M exclusive, I think

moset

Reaction score
Posted by Foxkat from another thread. I just copied it.

OK folks, I've got Circle Widgets, Swipe left to settings and swipe right to manage home screens working. Go to http://d-h.st/RDK, and download the zip file. Uncompress onto your PC desktop, or download directly to your phone...either way, then install the APKs just like any normal app. Once installed, hit the home button and you'll be prompted for the launcher choice. Choose the 2nd "homescreen" choice, and you'll have the RAZR HD launcher screen. Then go to Widgets and find Circle Widget. Drag it to the desktop. It will then give you a choice of widgets, and again choose Circles. If all goes well, you'll have the circles widget with weather.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Bad
WiFi is manic to keep connected in my case saves a lot of power (the aggressive nature can get annoying we a have WiFi at work it is for customers only but my phone keeps trying connect even when I have Smartactions turning WiFi off. There is a menu toggle in to shut this off.)

Not sure if you have seen the new setting under Settings>WIFI>Auto-Connect Wi-Fi make sure that is unchecked I bet that is undoing your Smart Action.

OP
JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Not sure if you have seen the new setting under Settings>WIFI>Auto-Connect Wi-Fi make sure that is unchecked I bet that is undoing your Smart Action.

Yeah thanks I did find it but for a bit I was really puzzled, Smart actions turned WiFi off but it would still shut 4G off and try to connect via WiFi and I would manually turn it back off but 5 minutes later it was back on trying to connect. The setting you speak of works a treat.

moset

Reaction score
Is there a way to select a group from contacts to send a text?
On ICS you could go to contacts, select the group, hit menu, select text. That option is gone.
I know I can do it with several SMS apps. I'd just prefer using stock text.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I can't seem to find where to change media storage to my Ext-SD card, not happy about that. Been having to move things manually when I take pictures or move music over.

moset

Reaction score
I can't seem to find where to change media storage to my Ext-SD card, not happy about that. Been having to move things manually when I take pictures or move music over.

Try settings in camera.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Works for pictures, sweet. Still not sure about music when transferring over MTP.

djspy

Reaction score
Someone mentioned that the moto weather widget was gone... I updated my brother's RAZR a few days ago using the download link over at droidrzr.com and he does have the weather widget. I don't know why you don't have it.

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
Posted by Foxkat from another thread. I just copied it.

OK folks, I've got Circle Widgets, Swipe left to settings and swipe right to manage home screens working. Go to http://d-h.st/RDK, and download the zip file. Uncompress onto your PC desktop, or download directly to your phone...either way, then install the APKs just like any normal app. Once installed, hit the home button and you'll be prompted for the launcher choice. Choose the 2nd "homescreen" choice, and you'll have the RAZR HD launcher screen. Then go to Widgets and find Circle Widget. Drag it to the desktop. It will then give you a choice of widgets, and again choose Circles. If all goes well, you'll have the circles widget with weather.

But you have to install the RAZR hd launcher, and the weather apk won't install, says it's already installed and won't let you install it again

moset

Reaction score
But you have to install the RAZR hd launcher, and the weather apk won't install, says it's already installed and won't let you install it again

No root here. The only thing that wouldn't install for me were the configure files. They are system files.
I installed the others, selected the second home after pressing the home button, and it worked for me. Do you have unknown sources selected?
The circle widget and swipe to settings work fine.