JellyBean for the LG Spectrum 2!

Anyone having problems updating? I can't get it to install with either my PC or OTA and I'm dying to get a taste of the JB goodness.

I was having issue getting this to take as well. I found I had to wipe everything out and reinstall ICS from the CAB file and then the JB update took.

Has anyone noticed a severe drop in battery life so far on JB. It has only been a day but I have already noticed my battery draining much quicker.

Has anyone noticed a severe drop in battery life so far on JB. It has only been a day but I have already noticed my battery draining much quicker.

Can't say I have, I'm at 79% right now and am usually lower than that by this time of day (but i havent used it much either). Haven't really had enough time to tell for sure but it doesnt seem any worse so far for me.

How di9d you get the Verizon update utility?? I was not given the option to install it when I plugged my phone into my PC through usb, no matter what type of connection I designates the phone as. I too am having the 0x13E error...

How di9d you get the Verizon update utility?? I was not given the option to install it when I plugged my phone into my PC through usb, no matter what type of connection I designates the phone as. I too am having the 0x13E error...

Download it from LG here....Mac or PC..
http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGVS930

Sent from the Best overlooked phone in the market. LG SPECTRUM²

I had to use a PC to which the phone had not already been connected. I expect I could have simply gone to the windows device manager and uninstalled the phone there before reconnecting. Phone had USB debugging enabled, USB connection set to "internet". The update took a loooong time, and then the phone bootlooped until I did a factory reset. It was in JB after the reset. I then re-rooted and restored everything from Titanium. Fortunately, I had copied my Titanium backup to the external SD first.

All is (now) well. Battery life seems about as good as before.

-- Tom Jupille

I got the same thing I had to restore the phone with the CAB file then I just used the OTA update and it worked perfectly then I restored my apps with Titanium.

Does this version support iphone style group messaging? When my iphone friends text me mms, it's not showing up in a thread that shows all of the recipients... :( So frustrating!

Never tried it but I would be willing to bet their is an app to do it thanks to the openness of android.

Did they change the color of the Google home screen search bar?

First and foremost for me, it allows me to get rid of all the bloatware. Be also being able to adjust the CPU settings, backup all my apps and data etc... there is a lot that rooting allows you to do. It allows you do do with your phone all you want to and not just what your carrier will allow. The only headache is having to re-flash the phone for the JB upgrade, which this phone will not see the next version of Android after this anyway :)
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I can understand wanting to get rid of the bloatware, because of the vast amount of it on the phone. It is ashame how much the carriers lock down the phones. I guess, I am still on the fence. But I appreciate your stance and reasons for rooting. What does it mean if you "brick" your phone and can it be reversed??

So... anybody? Is the home screen google search bar colored (grey), or transparent like ICS's? Because, if so, I think I'm going to pass on Jelly Bean. I use it for business mostly and from the video and written reviews I've seen, there doesn't seem to be that much improvement for that purpose. Yeah, it's a little smoother, but it seems to be overall slower except with video which is not meaningful to me. I have no use for Google Now or the changes to the notification screen. And I went through the rest of the changelog and I haven't seen anything that makes much difference to me.

And if it has that awful grey search bar at the top then that finalizes my decision. I don't want to have to use a different launcher; I have enough addons running as it is.

Here's the changelog:

-Addition of Google Now
I'll never use it

-Take action directly from the notifications panel
I don't want to

-User can select an app to launch when user stops alarm
I don't want to

-Weather application and widget have been updated
I use neither

-NFC LG Tag+ help has been improved
I hate NFC

-Brightness option has been moved to notification panel for global access
I use a third-party brightness app

-Browser now loads Google account bookmarks
I don't want it to

-Improved readability for email conversation
I don't have a problem reading email as is.

-Optimized Bluetooth® connect/disconnect and audio stream switching implementations
I never use bluetooth

-User can back up contacts when the SIM is swapped to a new device
That's not meaningful to me

-Preloaded widgets including Social+, Today+, Finance, News and Power Control have been removed
I don't really care

So overall I'm disappointed. If JB on Spectrum 2 has a black or transparent search bar on the home screen, then I may consider replacing ICS because then at least JB won't be worse than ICS. But currently it has no redeeming features and that ugly grey bar would make the experience worse for me, so I won't update if it has it.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I can understand wanting to get rid of the bloatware, because of the vast amount of it on the phone. It is ashame how much the carriers lock down the phones. I guess, I am still on the fence. But I appreciate your stance and reasons for rooting. What does it mean if you "brick" your phone and can it be reversed??

A "hard brick" is not good news. Sometimes it can be fixed but its usually rare it can be. A "soft brick" is the best thing you can hope for cause they are normally always fixable if you know what you are doing. To be more specific " hard brick" is usually the result of hardware in the phone going bad due to improper steps or freak accidents during a flashing or formatting. A "soft brick" is usually just the result of something in the data your trying to flash or remove from the system not being kosher or not following steps correctly.
Hope that wasn't too bad of an explanation.

Sent from the Best overlooked phone in the market. LG SPECTRUM²

Back