Jacksonville, FL 4G out?

Munstir

Reaction score
For 2 days in a row now I have been stuck at 3G I don't have any applications to turn 4G off so it can't be that. Is anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: More information I also travel all over Jacksonville and still don't get 4G, I haven't done the *228 or whatever it is because I heard it destroyed the card.

*228 does nothing to the phone. It disconnects nearly as quickly as you press send.
Reboot the phone.
If you still don't get 4G call VZW to make sure you're in an area and not a "border" area..

Thanks I'll try and find out tomorrow hopefully I can get it figured out soon.

I take it you had 4G at one time? I'm in a 4G area and it's been flaky all night. Weather shouldn't be effecting it right? We are in the middle of a front moving through the area. I think there are many bugs to be worked out yet. As I type this I have nothing displayed, no G of any kind and I have seen 1, 3, and 4G at one time or another. Had the Tbolt for a couple of weeks.

Within the first week of having my Tbolt (got it the 18th) LTE went down for about an hour or so in Metro Detroit and several areas across the country (I can only speak about metro-D)
The price you pay for being an early adapter. LTE is blazing fast, but they're gonna test it and make it better as we go along. The problem is...the phones are so new (especially then) that I got a little nervous thinking something was wrong or...of course, I changed something by accident.
A quick browse to the forums confirmed others were having the issue.

Then...it worked again and has been fine for me since.

Detroit area got LTE in the middle of February. Some have had it since last year, some are on an aggressive roll out schedule for 2011.

I'm telling you...it's like being hooked on crack. Once you have it...using 3G will make you cringe.

I live on Ameilia Island and work off Southside in Jax. I get 4G from everywhere. 4G covers Jax all over and all the way north of Jax until you hit Hwy 200 and I-95. Then you will drop 4G. South of Jax not sure, but I am down by the avenues mall and still get 4G all day. Well until last nights storm.. They are having a little issue right now, but for general all over Jax is great 4G for me.

I live on Ameilia Island and work off Southside in Jax. I get 4G from everywhere. 4G covers Jax all over and all the way north of Jax until you hit Hwy 200 and I-95. Then you will drop 4G. South of Jax not sure, but I am down by the avenues mall and still get 4G all day. Well until last nights storm.. They are having a little issue right now, but for general all over Jax is great 4G for me.

Hi there. I live on Amelia too and a buddy lives out in Yulee in a neighborhood just off 200 near the Target but on the south side of the road. We're both wanting 4G Android phones on Verizon and have both been considering the Thunderbolt, Bionic, etc. The Verizon 4G map seems to show most of Amelia as covered by 4G and also a good swath to both the north and south of 200. Are you saying you get no 4G at all anywhere on 200 or on the island on your Thunderbolt? Is it just spotty or is it totally absent? I've heard the maps tend to exaggerate but was hoping we'd at least get something up here.

Hi there. I live on Amelia too and a buddy lives out in Yulee in a neighborhood just off 200 near the Target but on the south side of the road. We're both wanting 4G Android phones on Verizon and have both been considering the Thunderbolt, Bionic, etc. The Verizon 4G map seems to show most of Amelia as covered by 4G and also a good swath to both the north and south of 200. Are you saying you get no 4G at all anywhere on 200 or on the island on your Thunderbolt? Is it just spotty or is it totally absent? I've heard the maps tend to exaggerate but was hoping we'd at least get something up here.

Coverage is great. Since you know the area this should be easy to explain. I get 4G all over the island. The north end when you go past the main beach access and all the way up to Ft Clinch on the beach side yeah there are issues but that has to do with ATT&T and the military bases and locked down air space.. but that’s another story for another day. Over at the skate park and all that area you are fine and works great. I travel 200 all the way to 95 to go to work everyday and never miss a beat.

Now the other day I was up in Kinsland/St Mary area and there was no 4G.. My 4G did not pick back up on my TB until I came right near 200 again coming down I-95, so I am assuming that the line for 4G is somewhere on the 200 line.. So North Yulee I am not sure how it will work. I know in the Target/Home Depot shopping center there are no issues and all the way from 95 to the island I am good. Even Heckshire going off the south end has good 4G and will only get a little dicey when going through the nature preserve on the Talbot Islands..

Hope that helps. If you need any one on one with rooting/hacking then hit me up on the private messenger and I can see what I can do to help.

The north end when you go past the main beach access and all the way up to Ft Clinch on the beach side yeah there are issues but that has to do with ATT&T and the military bases and locked down air space.. but that’s another story for another day.

What's the story with AT&T and the military locked down air space? I get crappy T-mobile coverage up there but noticed on a tower map that AT&T has towers close by. So both AT&T and the military affect other carrier's reception up there?

Here is what I know… On the far north end of the island past the skate park and way down Tarpon and Reefer Rd any Verizon phone I have had will loose signal. No bars at all. Now there are spotty areas around there that you will get a weak signal and be able to make calls but not many. Now friends and people with ATT&T have no issues. I have my now neighbors that are on ATT&T due to when they lived over there it was the only carrier with a signal.

Then you add that the military has a contract with ATT&T for company phone stuff. Nothing Area 51 or crazy rumors, just they have a contract with ATT&T. Due to being so close to the naval bases the air space is restricted and controlled with what comes and goes around. Also ATT&T are the only towers you will be able to find on that end of the island. So it is a bit of conspiracy theory mixed with some real facts.. But one thing for sure. Verizon has issues with signal on the far north end. Doesn’t bother me. I only go up there to swim and don’t need the phone in the water.

Back