Issues with ROMs

khrisdeus

Reaction score
I just rooted my phone about a week ago, and this was after months of debate. I then held out on any custom ROMs until today. I downloaded and updated my phone manually to FRG01B this week as well.

The issue I'm having is that I can't seem to install any custom ROMs with success. Thank god I decided to buy and install ROM manager first and create backups (duh).

First I tried Kangerade as I've heard nothing but good about it. Downloaded it directly from the JRummy thread and put it in my root. Once I got into the ROM installation and had it completed I got stuck in a boot loop, eye, droid, and back and forth. I ended up saying to hell with it and reloading a backup I had.

After doing this several times, I finally gave up and decided to try cynogen or however you spell it. Downloaded it through ROM manager and then when the phone rebooted after making a backup, it did the Motorola "M" then an exclamation point next to an image of the phone. I was able to do a battery pull and it went back in fine to my previous ROM.

Any suggestions or things that I may be totally screwing up? Thanks in advance!

scoder

Reaction score
After flashing any rom, it can take as long as ten minutes for the phone to leave the loading screen.

As for the situation with Cyanogenmod, it seems like you were in the recovery menu. Did you have any options or it only showed the exclamation point and Android?

OP
khrisdeus

khrisdeus

Reaction score
Scoder: So was it normal for it to loop in the boot animation? And no, I had no options except for the exclamation point.

KennyDied: I haven't messed around enough to learn how to change kernels. I understand the concept of a kernel on an OS but I'm new to the whole smart phone gig.

And wow, I've heard this community is amazing, but 2 responses within 10 minutes is nuts :)

OP
khrisdeus

khrisdeus

Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid doing that as I have all kinds of contacts, pictures of my kids, all of that I don't want to lose :/ Is it possible to just wipe the cache and have that correct the issue, or do I have to completely clear it out?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid doing that as I have all kinds of contacts, pictures of my kids, all of that I don't want to lose :/ Is it possible to just wipe the cache and have that correct the issue, or do I have to completely clear it out?

well everything on your sdcard will be safe. Your best option is to always wipe data and cache. I would download an app like mybackup pro and back everything up, it will back up apps and settings. Titanium Backup is also good. Then wipe data and cache and see if that helps.

brando56894

Reaction score
All that stuff will get saved on your sdcard and your contacts will reload every time you reflash a rom. /data just hold the data for your applications.

OP
khrisdeus

khrisdeus

Reaction score
Well, I backed everything up with Titanium, went into ROM manager and selected the newest kangerade, selected to backup current ROM, wipe data and cache, and when the phone got past the M I keep getting the exclamation now and have to do a battery pull to get it to boot.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, I backed everything up with Titanium, went into ROM manager and selected the newest kangerade, selected to backup current ROM, wipe data and cache, and when the phone got past the M I keep getting the exclamation now and have to do a battery pull to get it to boot.

hmm you don't have a recovery flashed it seems. Try reflashing clockwork

OP
khrisdeus

khrisdeus

Reaction score
I've done that twice now, is it something I should do EVERY time? Oh and by the way, even if I don't get this going, I appreciate you being so willing to hold my hand and help!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
No problem at all. No it is not something you should have to do everytime. Try this for me, power off your phone. While turning it back on hold x on the physical keyboard, this will boot you into recovery and tell me what it says from there. Hold down x until you see the recovery screen.

OP
khrisdeus

khrisdeus

Reaction score
When I hold down the "X" it gives me that image again. It worked about an hour ago when I did a recovery after Kangerade crapped out on me, and now it's giving me that image.