Issues with duplicate contacts. Anyway to solve this?

zeldrak

Reaction score
Hi --

I'm using an LG Revolution with Android version 2.2.2 and SW version VS910VZ6. I'm a VZW customer. I currently use two gmail accounts, a facebook account, a tango account, a whatsapp account, Outlook 2010, a twitter account, and backup assistant. To sync between Outlook, Gmail, and my phone I use CompanionLink. I've noticed that I have many duplicate contacts throughout my contact list on my phone, but there are no duplicates in any of my other accounts listed, nor in Outlook. I've read over some suggestions made by other threads that I've read through and even tried a couple of apps. I've tried "contacts clean up" and "contact analyzer 2" but nothing has gotten rid of my duplicates. Short of erasing every contact from every service provider and starting from square one I've tried everything else that I can personally think of. I really, really, really don't want to have to do the contact erasure, or even a phone wipe, because I've lost all my contacts once before and I literally went through several days of what seemed like some level of Hell trying to get them all back. I finally had to give up and eat that contact list loss. I'm just lucky I had a really old backup on Scrubbly which I managed to put on my phone. Now, once again, because the Revo lacks the contact merging that the Droid 2 has I'm stuck with all the duplicates and triplicates, and even some quadruplicates, of contacts.

Can anyone offer me some assistance with an app, a service, or anything that will rid me of the multiples that I have? I'd appreciate it very much.

Kris

CarbonWyre

Reaction score
I would recommend just inputting all the contacts to google. From there you can select and merge contact then unsync all the contents from all other application. That way no matter what happens, even if you restore, you can sync them in 1 hit.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

companionlink

Reaction score
It's possible that what appears to be duplicates aren't *really* duplicates. What I mean by this is if you have the same contact in Gmail account 1 and Gmail account 2, your phone may display that contact twice - once for each account. In that way, the contact isn't duplicated in either Gmail account 1 or Gmail account 2, but only in the way your phone displays it.

Is it possible this is what is happening, or have you already accounted for this?

- David Z.

OP
Z

zeldrak

Reaction score
It's possible that what appears to be duplicates aren't *really* duplicates. What I mean by this is if you have the same contact in Gmail account 1 and Gmail account 2, your phone may display that contact twice - once for each account. In that way, the contact isn't duplicated in either Gmail account 1 or Gmail account 2, but only in the way your phone displays it.

Is it possible this is what is happening, or have you already accounted for this?

- David Z.

I haven't done anything as of yet except for wipe my phone and add the standard google account it asks for at the beginning. I may just leave off all the other accounts and just have my single google account. I know on my Droid 2 I was able to link several different contacts together into one consolidated contact. By this I'm referring to what you're talking about. I had three google contacts, a facebook contact, and emails for one contact all merged into one, as it should be. However, on this phone I've noticed it lacks that capability. I've just started from scratch once again, so we'll see where that goes.