Duplicate Text Messages!

TheLoge

Reaction score
I got a new Droid and manually input some contacts into my phone. I synced my phone with Facebook, Twitter, Last.fm, and Gmail. Now I receive duplicate text messages from the contacts I manually inputted. I use Handcent and I made sure my default messaging was turned off and I also turned off auto-retrieve.

There aren't any duplicate contacts in my Gmail account and none on my phone either. I get two texts from the same contact. The first text has their response and their callback the number and the second text has the same response without a callback number.

I have tried exporting my contacts to my SD, then delting my contacts from my phone, and then importing my contacts back to my phone but that didn't work.

I also backed up my contacts in Gmail, deleted the contacts in my phone, and then imported my contacts back to Gmail and synched it with my phone but that also didn't work.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I got a new Droid and manually input some contacts into my phone. I synced my phone with Facebook, Twitter, Last.fm, and Gmail. Now I receive duplicate text messages from the contacts I manually inputted. I use Handcent and I made sure my default messaging was turned off and I also turned off auto-retrieve.

There aren't any duplicate contacts in my Gmail account and none on my phone either. I get two texts from the same contact. The first text has their response and their callback the number and the second text has the same response without a callback number.

I have tried exporting my contacts to my SD, then delting my contacts from my phone, and then importing my contacts back to my phone but that didn't work.

I also backed up my contacts in Gmail, deleted the contacts in my phone, and then imported my contacts back to Gmail and synched it with my phone but that also didn't work.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with your contacts.

Are both notifications from handcent or is one from the stock mess app?

OP
T

TheLoge

Reaction score
Both notifications are from Handcent. I click on the notification and it takes me to the thread in Handcent which has a duplicate of the message (one with a callback number and the other without a callback number).

Would uninstalling Handcent or the stock messaging app solve it? Or do you think it is something else?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Both notifications are from Handcent. I click on the notification and it takes me to the thread in Handcent which has a duplicate of the message (one with a callback number and the other without a callback number).

Would uninstalling Handcent or the stock messaging app solve it? Or do you think it is something else?

Do Not uninstall stock mess app, you won't be able to send/recieve mms if you do.

Sometimes I get double notifications in handcent from some people, not much though. Is it happening with every txt?

Maybe try uninstalling handcent, reinabling notifications in stock app and see if it continues. Then try reinstalling handcent...