Issues w/ Android 2.3.3/4.5.596 (Official Gingerbread OTA)

surrendermonkee

Reaction score
After my blank/locked screen, my fourth battery pull got me far enough into it to do a factory reset. The reset set it to gingerbread and I am now redoing all my settings which is time consuming but I probably needed to rethink my apps anyway.

Chimuel

Reaction score
Am I the only one who still has their camera default to WS instead of 8MP no matter how many times I change it?

No, everyone's phone does that.

I just got the GB update you can't be rooted or you are bricked you try to force your phone it will become a brick... And you can't re root which also of some bull **** but I'm sure soon there will be a new z4root or something so that once again us root users will be rooted once again so once again if you dont want to get rid of your beloved root apps I would recommend to wait until GB is rootable

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

If you wanted a rooted version of the official GB update, you have to install the one that's already prerooted:

Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

anemrac

Reaction score
Ditto. The factory reset has cured all the lagging. It just sucks that I'm re-customizing everything when I should be working :)

-anemrac

Baumbach

Reaction score
(1) When one views "Accounts," one's Facebook account is no where to be found (i.e., it's not displayed); however, when you try to "Add account" and choose "Facebook," one gets, "You can only have one active Facebook service account at a time." w/o one's Facebook account visible under "Accounts," how then can one go about modifying and/or removing an existing Facebook account?

i had the same issue after i upgraded to 4.5 i did a factory reset to fix it. however, My new issue is the links to the users facebook profile in the contact list do take you to facebook but not the users profile.

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Anyone seeing a failed update? It made it through the download and rebooted probably went a quarter of the way and the triangle with exclamation point rebooted and reported failure.

rgregl

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm writing to you all, kindly requesting any information and/or help with some issues I am having with the (official) Gingerbread OTA (.596). Please note that I've had an unrooted/stock Droid X, and that I received the OTA update yesterday at about 12:13AM. For those of you that have received the OTA update, have any of you noticed the following (although minor to a few, but may seem significant):

(1) When one views "Accounts," one's Facebook account is no where to be found (i.e., it's not displayed); however, when you try to "Add account" and choose "Facebook," one gets, "You can only have one active Facebook service account at a time." w/o one's Facebook account visible under "Accounts," how then can one go about modifying and/or removing an existing Facebook account?

(2) Contact pictures are still NOT syncing properly and/or updating accordingly (provided one has his/her contact pictures provided by Facebook).

(3) Although the UI of the keyboard has been modified via the update, does anyone find it a bit laggy when typing?

(4) Unlock screen still with delay and/or pause when unlocking.

Please know that any comments and/or help would be very much appreciated. I hope you are all (or will be) enjoying Gingerbread!
I am having the same problem Pnoy82. I have noticed the following problems:

1. When I go to accounts, only my google accounts are listed (in Froyo Facebook would be listed). If I click on "Add Account" both the pre-installed Facebook app and the market version, Facebook for Android App are there. There is a small green check mark on the pre-installed app (I am assuming that means that the account is added) and if I click on the pre-installed app it comes up with the same "You can only have one active Facebook service account at a time." If I try to click on the market version Facebook, nothing happens. This leads to the second problem, which is:

2. You cannot disable the pre-installed Facebook account from "My Accounts" (assuming it is enabled given the little green checkmark).

3. When I go into contacts, both my google contacts AND Facebook contacts are showing. I have gone into "Display Group" and check ONLY my google contacts (Facebook is not even option - most likely related to the issue above), however it does not change. I have 178 contacts in my google/gmail account. I have 383 contacts showing up under "Contacts"

4. When I try to link Facebook contacts and google contacts in my contacts, there is not link option (like there was on Froyo). I have many double entries for people because of people using different names on Facebook than what I have them entered in my google contact as

Any ideas?

dubbbya

Reaction score
I've been rooting for like a week, and it's so much simpler than I imagined.

If you can get into your bootloader by holding volume down + camera then turning the phone on; you can go back to stock froyo. From there I can help you get to rooted gingerbread.

[video=youtube;q2rqPT1kAOY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2rqPT1kAOY]YouTube - ‪Droid X 4.5.596 Deodexed‬‏[/video]

dubbbya

Reaction score
I don't understand what the big deal is. I decided not to take verizons OTA and to do TBH's .596 install because I am impatient. I took my phone from stock virgin 2.3.380 straight up to banging fast 4.5.596 and it kept the root. I don't notice any differences at all, I asked someone else with a stock Droid X what they were running after their update, and they have the same build as I do....Only, i'm rooted

kevinkar

Reaction score
Stock Keyboard is buggy.

What's up with the new keyboard? When I text and want to use different punctuation I long press the period key which brings up the additional choices (like the ? which is what I'm going for) BUT it won't let me select any of the bottom row choices and only allows me to slide over the top row ultimately selecting the key on which I stop and release.

Also, unlike Swype and FlexT9 input methods, when I long press on those keys the pop up of choices stays up until I select the key I want. With the stock keyboard, it disappears as soon as I lift my finger so I definitely can't select any of the bottom OR top keys.

If I bring my finger to the extreme bottom of the screen, only then will the second row be selected but it tends to disappear as soon as it thinks I've lifted my finger or selected a key.

This happens in both portrait and landscape modes for me.

So I can't use the second row of punctuation! UGH!

Torpedo IPA

Reaction score
Any reason to <not> return to Froyo from GB? I am very unhappy with the sock install and want to go back. Anyone? Buhler?

jbdavies

Reaction score
Is there a way to uninstall the GB OTA if you're not rooted? My brother is having major problems with his X.

anemrac

Reaction score
Have you guys tried a factory reset? I haven't had any problems since my reset. Keyboard still sucks, not so responsive and a resource hog, but there are good alternatives on the market. It's worth a try if you don't mind having to reinstall your apps.

-anemrac

elittos

Reaction score
Anyway to uninstall 2.3.3???

I wish I never installed the update. I like the old interface. I especiaslly liked that I can swipe the screen, then I was able to pick which screen I wanted to be on. Now I have to swipe screen to screen. How exactly do I get to all the aplications I have on my phone? Lastly, and most importantly, my Exchange calendar will not sync. I get e-mail from Exchange, just the calendar is not working.

NOT GOOD
NOT HAPPY !!!

anemrac

Reaction score
If you press the home button when you're on the home screen, it will bring up a screen selection menu.

The icon on the lower right, the square with an up arrow, is your app drawer.

Sorry I can't help on the calendar issue.

-anemrac

elittos

Reaction score
Anemrac-
Thank you for the reply Hoem screen works as you described. However, the button in the lower right (I presume you mean the dock), brings up the recently run applications, not the app drawer.

Any thoughts?