Issues Connecting my DROID to My PC

whoster69

Reaction score
I've tried connecting my DROID to my Windows 7 PC using the supplied USB cable. I was able to download pictures I took without a problem using Windows Explorer, but when I try to download images off of the SD card (wallpapers I downloaded on my DROID) it will download one, maybe two fairly quickly and then it will go into this pause, download a little, pause routine and end up taking over 20 minutes to get one picture if it even ever finishes that. Any ideas why? I'm using Advanced Task Killer to kill any apps before I hook my DROID to my PC. I'm connecting it to a USB 2.0 port on my HP computer.

I'm just looking for a way to back up my apps and wallpapers and download any pictures I take.

If anyone has some ideas on how to get it so I can do this, please let me know.

Thanks.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Have you tried this without killing any apps? which is totally unnecessary btw...

OP
W

whoster69

Reaction score
Have you tried this without killing any apps? which is totally unnecessary btw...

No I haven't. When I first hard boot my DROID, it runs very slowly until I kill a bunch of the background processes. I stupidly installed too many apps when I first got it (probably around 100 or so), not knowing which ones would load as background processes on bootup. Too many are doing that I think and that is why I used Advanced Task Killer.

OP
W

whoster69

Reaction score
Well, I tried a fresh hard boot to my phone and didn't kill any processes. The phone still hangs after transferring a file or two.

Any ideas?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm.... perplexing. Maybe try transferring with Task Killer uninstalled?

OP
W

whoster69

Reaction score
Well, I tried uninstalling Task Killer and it didn't help. Is it easy to remove the SD card? Can I just place it in a reader? I'm beginning to suspect I have a faulty SD card.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Card just slides right out....

Copy the card on to your PC (save everything)
format the card
copy everything back....

Might help....

OP
W

whoster69

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if I've got a badly formatted card or something. Some files copy just fine, and other refuse to copy. Windows says it is calculating space and then nothing happens.

OP
W

whoster69

Reaction score
Well, I just got the message "Damaged SD card". This is the second time in about 2 weeks I've had this message.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Well, I just got the message "Damaged SD card". This is the second time in about 2 weeks I've had this message.

You within 30 days from VZW? if so take it back and exchange it....

OP
W

whoster69

Reaction score
No my 30 days was up on Dec. 27th. Does this mean I have to buy a new 16GB card?

By the way, I pulled the card, and plugged it into my PC. I can now read the files, but have the same issue as before. It obviously isn't the phone or any apps that are causing this. It is either a badly formatted card or a bad card.

Any ideas on the best way to format it? Should I use the phone or the PC?

Thanks again.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I would go into a corp store and ask about getting it replaced....

you should format it in the device it's to be used in is what I always went with....

OP
W

whoster69

Reaction score
OK. I went through each directory file by file and copied over the ones I could and deleted the ones I couldn't. I'm not sure if I just had some cross linked files or a problem with this memory card. Anyway, I ran an analysis on the SD card using Windows 7 standard tools. Then I reformatted the SD card using FAT32 (like it was formatted). I'm going to copy my working files back to the card and then try to boot my phone and see what happens. Most of the files that had errors were wallpaper pictures I had downloaded. Maybe something went wrong during the download? Anway, I did have two directories that I couldn't get all the files out of:

Dolphin
espeakdata

I'm not sure what espeak data is. Does anyone know? Dolphin I think is the Dolphin browser which I did have installed. I can uninstall and then reinstall it.

Anything else I should do?

Thanks again.

OP
W

whoster69

Reaction score
I would go into a corp store and ask about getting it replaced....

you should format it in the device it's to be used in is what I always went with....

Thanks. I didn't see this before I formatted it in Win 7, so we'll see how that goes...